South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/182/150

Height: 5'7

Default Not feeling very successful

I am half way through my second week of phase 1. So far I have lost about 2.5 pounds, but I just feel that it should be more.

I'm wondering if perhaps I am not eating enough. I have not been snacking and think that this may be a problem. I have heard of people not eating enough and not being able to lose weight. This just seems so strange, but I know it can be true. I should add, however, that I have not been feeling hungry. I just have not been fitting time to eat two snacks into my day.

I have been sick this week on top of everything and have not been exercising. Reading through what I just wrote I feel that I'm probably being silly and not very fair to myself. That is logic, but the emotional side if me is just frustrated!
ginbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

This is a topic that seems to come up quite often around here.

You really don't have that much weight to lose - compared to some of us.

Have you logged your daily intake into FitDay to see how many calories you are consuming. When I was doing P1, I averaged about 1200 a day....and most days I had to work to get there. The foods that are most plentiful on P1 are not very high calorie foods. Up your calories by adding a serving of nuts to your daily foods, or a bit more cheese. Both of which are not low calorie, but still quite healthy for you and vital for proper fat intake.

Try posting a daily menu - it will be easier to see where your diet may be lacking.

Also, the diet really stresses the importance of daily snacks...multiple snacks. One following SBD should be taking in at least 5 small meals per day - sometimes 6. It helps to keep your metabolism strong and your blood sugar in check. When our blood sugar drops, we are much more apt to indulge in something a bit less beachy.

In the end, remember this. You are 2.5 pounds closer to your goal! GOOD JOB!!! Weight loss is very linear and varies immensely from person to person depending on age, lifestyle before SBD, overall health, etc.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #3  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

snacks are mandatory in phase 1
patience is also mandatory on South beach ... we lose much slower than others because of how much we eat.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I wish Dr. A. wouldn't get people's hopes up for a 10 - 15 lb loss in Phase I. I guess it's the "hook" that gets people interested in the plan. While this is what happens for some, everybody is different, and the weight loss is not the main point of doing Ph1, just a nice side benefit. I have never lost more than 5 lbs. on Ph1.

Snacks are important during the weight loss portion of this plan. It's common to go through a phase of low apetite after you have kicked your cravings, but you should still try to get in the snacks as recommended. They can be small, just a piece of cheese or some veggies or V8.

Don't get frustrated. A 2.5 lb loss in 10 days is a good thing! Don't let the scale be your only measure of success. How are you feeling? Are you having cravings for sweets or starches?
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #5  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginbay View Post
I am half way through my second week of phase 1. So far I have lost about 2.5 pounds, but I just feel that it should be more.

I'm wondering if perhaps I am not eating enough. I have not been snacking and think that this may be a problem. I have heard of people not eating enough and not being able to lose weight. This just seems so strange, but I know it can be true. I should add, however, that I have not been feeling hungry. I just have not been fitting time to eat two snacks into my day.

I have been sick this week on top of everything and have not been exercising. Reading through what I just wrote I feel that I'm probably being silly and not very fair to myself. That is logic, but the emotional side if me is just frustrated!

I posted something similar after doing Phase 1, cause I only lost 4 lbs and was looking for all sorts of reasons as to why.

But it really just meant that it was my own personal individual loss, and not only that, but it was a really good thing to have lost 4 lbs, just like it's a really good thing you've lost 2.5 so far.

Snacking throughout the day is important because it boosts your metabolism (I think I'm repeating what the others have said, sorry) and keeps your fat burning engines stoked. Even one not on the SBD but is trying to lose weight should stick to 5 little meals a day rather than 3 huge ones. It's much better on your metabolism and digestive system, I think. You're feeding your body fuel to do what it needs to do, rather than not giving it enough and slowing it down; then it wants to hang onto pounds and that's just not cool.

I think you're doing good, just make sure to eat the snacks though. Celery and hummus, that's light, if you don't feel too hungry. A serving of nuts isn't much, so you should be able to munch that up quick if you're not too hungry.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187/182/150

Height: 5'7

Thank you all for your support and wisdom. I think Schmoodle hit the nail on the head with the book's seemingly promise of a 10-15 lb loss in Phase 1. That seemed so exciting and awesome. I am happy with what I have lost and how well I have done. This is the longest I have gone in YEARS without cheating and giving up. I guess I am also comparing myself to my DH who doesn't need to diet, but is doing South Beach with me for support. I love him dearly for it and it has helped so much, but he has lost 8 lbs!!! Grrrr... it is so much easier for men.
ginbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #7  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginbay View Post
I guess I am also comparing myself to my DH who doesn't need to diet, but is doing South Beach with me for support. I love him dearly for it and it has helped so much, but he has lost 8 lbs!!! Grrrr... it is so much easier for men.
I empathize. In the last 5 weeks I've worked pretty hard to lose 7.5 pounds, while my husband has lost 6.5 pounds only very LOOSELY following SB with me. (Loosely as in while we were on vacation for 5 days he didn't follow it at all, and he still has the occasional sugary soda, etc.)

So my mindset is that I take credit for ALL the weight loss, not just my own...'cause if I wasn't doing this, he wouldn't have lost weight either, right? That means I lost 14 pounds in the last month, go me!
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote