Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 307/277/TBA

Height: 5'5"

A few weeks ago I was out of my morning yogurt and needed to get to work. Trader Joe's wasn't open yet, so I packed a ziploc bag with my Kashi cereal and stopped by a Wal-Mart grocery store for a single-serving container of plain, fat-free yogurt. I got their "Great Value" brand. Ewwwww!!! It was GUMMY!!! I read the ingredients, and for some reason there was tapioca in it. It was really really horrible. I ate it because it was better than eating cookies and junk from the machine, but never ever again!!
Redheaded I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I LOVE the laughing cow cheese wedges! I put them on baked potatoes and on english muffins all the time. Creamy and delicious IMHO but obviously not for everyone!!

Barbara-- I love the flat-outs too. I buy them here at Safeway. I'm surprised you can't find them. They are in their own display near the bakery (in between the bakery and the dairy). You might ask at your Safeway.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixotica View Post
Years ago I gave the Ornish diet a try. There was a recipe for yogurt cheese that was used in a lot of the foods. Sorry, drained condensed yogurt does not taste like cheese. It tastes like really sour, dense yogurt. I fiddled with it trying to get it to taste better, but gave up.
Interesting. Glad you commented, I've thought of trying that.

While I don't believe in super low-fat anymore, I do have to credit Ornish Everyday Cooking with helping me start with whole foods and cooking. That was many years ago - obviously I fell off the wagon - but I still enjoy that book. I just don't restrict the fats like he does, and I stress whole grains even more than he does. But I love that there are menus and not just recipes, and I especially love that they are arranged by season for seasonal produce. Lots of great reference info in there on nutrition & health in general and on healthier cooking.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheaded I am View Post
A few weeks ago I was out of my morning yogurt and needed to get to work. Trader Joe's wasn't open yet, so I packed a ziploc bag with my Kashi cereal and stopped by a Wal-Mart grocery store for a single-serving container of plain, fat-free yogurt. I got their "Great Value" brand. Ewwwww!!! It was GUMMY!!! I read the ingredients, and for some reason there was tapioca in it. It was really really horrible. I ate it because it was better than eating cookies and junk from the machine, but never ever again!!
Gosh, I'm the same way about my morning TJ Greek yogurt. I'm all discombobulated if I don't have it
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #80  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Dr. Ornish

Hi JulieJO8,
You might like the yogurt cheese. Each to his own! It is really easy to make and fat free. I agree that Dean Ornish is a leader in the health industry, his "heart" is certainly in the right place And, a lot of his recipes are delicious. I became especially conscious of how much fat there is in so many foods when follow his diet.

Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #81  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Turkey bacon. I bought some because it is "allowed" on the South Beach diet. Yuck, it tasted like thin strips of fried turkey Spam. Maybe I am not getting the right brand? I would rather not eat it at all.

Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #82  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2QJandT View Post
I recently made a chicken stroganoff that was horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
I also recently made a recipe for low calorie beef stroganoff that was a total disaster. It called for reduced fat yogurt and I knew the yogurt would have a tendency to curdle so I was careful to bring down the temperature before adding it but it still curdled. It was disgusting to look at and tasted pretty bad too.

I made a chicken stroganoff tonight... well my own low cal version.
Served 3
3 chicken fillets, thinly sliced, toss in 2 tsp smoked paprika(i had paprika and liquid smoke) cook in a pan, remove to one side.
Chop and cook 1onion, 3 gloves or garlic till tender, I added 1 diced green bell pepper, and 300g sliced mushroom.

When cooked add some chicken(i used reduced sodium veggie) stock, boil.
Add the chicken.
Now the fatfree yogurt wasnt doing anything, SO i added so cornflour to thicken.
I served over a bed of greenbeans, instead of pasta or rice all coming in all 250kcals per serving.
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote