Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:08 AM   #1  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Talking 10 Healthy Carbs That Won't Make You Fat

10 Healthy Carbs That Won't Make You Fat
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

While I agree that what she's listed are all good carbs, I HATE this kind of hyperbolic title.

ANY carbs ... any non carbs ... any FOOD will make you fat if you eat it in excess.

Whole grain cereals are sometimes the worst offenders - because many whole grain cereals are chock full of sugars and HFCs. They'll make you fat long before anything else on that list will ... yet she's listed it as #1.

This kind of article is exactly what causes people to eat 12 bowls of cereal a day and then complain that they're not losing weight and they feel like crap besides.

Bleah.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I think the author might have been misleadingly using the more archaic version of the word "cereal", which is actually the primary definition dictionary-wise, but not used very widely at all...a plant of the grass family that produces an edible grain. The more common usage of the word is actually the secondary definition of the word, which surprised me.

The author might have known better, though, than to use that uncommon usage. It makes it look like she's recommending people go out and buy Kashi Go Lean, rather than oatmeal (which is, I -think-, what she is trying to say).

Regardless of the language issues, I agree that anything in excess will make you fat, and anything in moderation (some things more moderate than others) probably won't hurt you too badly. But people tend to want straightforward guidelines, which is why articles like this market well.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:53 AM   #4  
~Believe~

Unhappy

I thought it was a good one to give some ideas of good carbs vs. the bad ones. Oh well. Just thought it had some good info in it, but guess not.

Sorry Ya'all.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Sassy - the article DID have good info about good vs. bad carbs...I just take objection to the idea that certain things "won't make you fat" while other things will...If this had been titled "10 Healthy Carbs", I'd be objection free.

Keep sharing info and don't apologize!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:11 AM   #6  
~Believe~

Thanks. I just didn't think about the title honestly. lol......I can see your point.