Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Office Cookies

Alright, I've been really good but someone at the office brought in these cookies...let's just say delicious cookies that have no healthy qualities what-so-ever...anyway I'm coming clean...over the course of the day today I've had 3 of them! They taste so good and therefore must be so unhealthy that 3 cookies probably has the same amount of calories as a full meal.
Anyway i don't want the cookie incident to throw off the rest of my day...Everything else has been healthy, I have a Vinyasa Yoga class tonight so I'll burn a lot of calories there. I just had to come clean to someone.
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #2  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

you know that it will be okay. Just get back on track now.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #3  

I know it will. Owning up to it and saying it 'outloud' helps me not let it throw the whole rest of the day off...and keeps me from going back for another one
Thanks!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #4  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

back on track!
We actually have rules against trigger foods in my office. We all have weight issues, health problems like diabetes and such and we work in the health care industry and feel we must "walk the walk" if we are going to tell our patients to eat healthier it better not be with a smudge of cake on our chins...lol! Maybe you can ask the powers to be at your workplace to make some rules reagarding food at work.
It took some time to get used to around here, we have one lady in particular that was very resistent because she didn't have a weight problem she felt like she should be able to eat what she wanted at work. But, when she realized we were not going to relent on the new rules and we were happier she came around.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:08 AM   #5  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

someone in my office has 4 jars of candy right by my desk- peanut m&ms, regular ones, skittles, and then assorted goodies. i can sympathize!

sigh.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/255/140

Height: 5'6"

I can sympathize as well, lol. I work at a local restaurant specializing in Pizza and Pasta. A possibility this current situation of smelling, seeing, and having people say "taste this" is a part of Dante's Inferno. I spend a lot of time walking through the kitchen at a very fast pace, avoiding eye contact. I tried once to explain that I was attempting to change my lifestyle and I swear the offers of "taste this and tell me what you think" became more frequent. If the salad station did not exist, I may have had to look for another job. Oh yes, and we bake fresh focaccia bread daily, I must have a karmic debt to pay, lol.

amy
opimisticchick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #7  
Amy

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/170

Height: 5' 8"

There are so many meetings at my job. I spend most of my time in a group home which is good because they are eating healthy and there is no junk food.

However, our meetings are in our main office and are accompanied by food. We have lists designating who is bringing lunch or snack. Then they pass snack/junk food around the table or even set it right in front of you.

Actually, I attended Core Team meeting on my birthday in June. The new nurse who loves me brought in a small cake with candles, etc. They all sang happy birthday to me & I blew out the candles. Then I guiltily said, "I'm sorry but I'm not eating sugar so I can have any cake." I felt bad even though it is a good thing & I'm obviously losing weight. They still told me I should take the cake home for my housemate. People really don't get it. I stuck to my guns & said no.

I think work is the most difficult environment I have when it comes to eating well.

Wishing everyone happy thoughts!
Amy
oreokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:23 AM   #8  
happy in her own world

I agree- work is the worst environment. I can control everything in my home and if I go out to eat my hubby is with me so we are held accountable - at work... another story!

They are having a pizza party next week & wanted me to throw in money for it & I told them no because I can't be eating like that. We had a breakfast buffet this morning in the lunch room to raise money & I had to go eat my oatmeal at my desk just to avoid it. There are potlucks like once a month. I swear! Everyone jokes about the 20 lbs you gain when you start working in a call center but it is soooo true!
Old 08-09-2008, 05:39 AM   #9  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

"Found Food" was one of my downfalls. That "free" donut that you didn't even know existed a minute ago and is now calling your name, jumping in your hand, and joining the other donuts on your hips or waist. The giant candy dish of M&Ms that you have to pass every time you enter or leave your office that are GREAT stress busters.

Why is it no one brings in a huge tray of veggies to share or to celebrate?
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #10  
happy in her own world

well because veggies aren't covered in chocolate!

i think i'm going to start doing that. then at least if they do have a potluck i will have something i can munch on.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #11  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

He He
You're going to bring in vegetables covered in chocolate?

Or you're going to bring in a vegetable platter.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #12  
happy in her own world

heh- just the veggies!
Old 08-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #13  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebRover View Post
"Found Food" was one of my downfalls. That "free" donut that you didn't even know existed a minute ago and is now calling your name, jumping in your hand, and joining the other donuts on your hips or waist. The giant candy dish of M&Ms that you have to pass every time you enter or leave your office that are GREAT stress busters.

Why is it no one brings in a huge tray of veggies to share or to celebrate?
Oh Found Food is the worst!!! My biggest downfall.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #14  

Ya, it's hard where I work because I work in entertainment...there is always food, there is always a party, there is always alcohol, it is always free. That is the mindset...any excuse for lunch or sweets is a good excuse. I am always going to a show and a post show schmooze party...I'm always taking someone to lunch, someone is always sending us treats, someone is always making treats, it's a birthday or we have a meeting....biggest culprits there are frozen hot chocolates and ice cream sandwiches.There is no point in trying to combat what the handful of us bring into the office, because when no one is bringing stuff in someone is sending us something! Just on Friday I got a 'thank you' package from someone I got some tickets for....the card and pictures were lovely and said it all...but it came with a big Red Sox themed cup full of candy! I'm not even opening it.

I try not to keep anything in my office space and avoid visiting people in 'the chocolate rooms', I'm now keeping fruit and dried fruit and nuts on my desk, a bowl of individually wrapped hard candies for guests...because those I don't eat cause they hurt my teeth. At the end of the day what it needs to come down to for me is sheer willpower. I love my job, I love what I do, leaving is not an option...I'm working on accepting that the food is not going away and I just need to get out of the routine of eating it. Be mindful of dipping into the chocolate bowl, eat dinner before our shows at the office and drink water or diet coke out after. Make smart choices and stick to them (so much easier said than done!)

Today I came in and in our little kitchen is a massive tub of cookies...and not the good ones that someone took the time to make....a big tub of grocery store cookies. Really looking at them and thinking about them I have no interest in them...the home made ones are tough but the dried up store ones...not worth it. I'm not in a position where I can throw anything away...there are people who do enjoy it...and when one of them is the company president and you are in a small office with only 15 people you don't throw out the cookies.

My latest method of protest... well the garden is in bloom and I've got more tomatoes than I know what to do with. I left a big bowl of tomatoes and fresh picked blueberries for the taking next to the cookies.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #15  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Well, you guys can all come work with me because no one here eats! I worked in the hotel industry, so I was used to what you guys go through every day. 2 dozen donuts? Better hurry, they'll be gone in no time.

Here, a plate of cookies will last days and people will groin about "who brought in the cookies?!?!". Granted we are a small office of 6, but we have dozens of students here all the time. But there are no pot-lucks. No birthday celebrations (cards only). No bowls full of candy. No one brings in anything ever. They are all thin or trying to get thin. And although I am grateful for the lack of temptation, I miss that. It really does bring you together.

We do have candy bars and chips for the students, but that's not really "found" food.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote