Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Talking Couch to 5K Challenge - Week 1!

Hi everyone! Week one is finally here! Its time to start our 9 week couch to 5K program!

During week 1 our regimine will be as follows:

Brisk 5 minute warm up
60 second jog followed by
90 second walk
Alternate the 60 sec jog / 90 sec walk for 20 minutes (remember if you are on a treadmill it will read 25 minutes because of your 5 min warm up)

This regimine doesn't require a 5 min cool down but if you would like to have a full 30 min workout just add a 5 min cool down. I'm going to be doing that!!

Remember to do this at least 3 times a week. You can do it as often as you like, but the regimine calls for at least 3 times!

Please post your progress...let us know when you complete week 1....also any struggles your are having to over come?!?!? Maybe things are easier than you thought??

Have fun and don't give up!

Here is the final sign up list that I got -->

McKenziesmomma
Sprklemajik
Kofarq
Kelleigh
Skinnybeach
Jessicaca
JulieJ08
dandk0204
Primm
jacqu79
fauxtini
mist72
akacutie

Last edited by McKenziesmomma; 08-04-2008 at 08:52 AM.
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #2  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

Hey! I did my first day yesterday and this morning the back of my legs are achin! hehe I like it!!
I'm going away for a couple of days and when Im back ( thursday) I will be finishing my jogging week one.

Good luck everyone!!

Ps.. if you aren't using podcasts.. are you all just counting in your head? That's what I did yesterday and it requires a lot of concentration.. but I kind of like it! It keeps my mind off of waundering off and keeps me focused

Plus im really mastering my counting skills! hahahaha
mountain mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Found it

I'm going to buy shoes tonight, so today I just walked (35 minutes, including warmup/cooldown, total 2 miles), plus in the past I've always had problems at first with shin splints and hip pain, so I wanted to walk a day first and see how it went. Yay, not a hint of shin splints or hip pain! That's because I've been doing yoga for almost 4 months now, and I modified one of the poses to include standing on my toes, so my lower legs are in good shape! I did jog one 60 second interval, and I can tell ... tomorrow is going to be hard
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/166.8/140

Height: 5'3

Completed day one and did 2.25 miles...I went over 30 min. It felt good!! I am going away this weekend so I am going to get my 3 days in early!
jessacaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #5  
aka Wendi (it's shorter!)

S/C/G: 215/203/155

Height: 5'6"

Finished day 1! At about 23 minutes in I thought I might just fall off the treadmill, but now that I'm done I feel great!

I'm using the podcasts, and (surprisingly) I really like the music. I guess what I normally listen to isn't really good running music, and the techno gave me a good pace. I did 2.0 miles in 31 minutes =)
Asynchronous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #6  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Found you! I started on Saturday, so today is day 2 for me. I went for a big long walk (60 min, up and down hills) yesterday, so I don't know how my legs will hold up today. Just finishing breakfast, so we'll see...
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #7  

Got my running shoes! Tomorrow will be hard work ... but I'm so excited to have started.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/179/150

Hey--it's still day 1. Can I join? I ran on treadmill today, with my trainer, 6 minutes. But I can barely do that--I am so out of breath and need a looong rest at the end before moving on to more of my workout. I would love to get past 5-6 minutes of running (really, slow jogging, with labored breathing for the last 3 minutes!)
modcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #9  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

Did day 1 yesterday. Holding up alright. Definitely not easy. But I'll keep going.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #10  

Did my real day 1 this morning. But I guess I count way too slow (don't have an iPod), because after 20m I had only done 4 cycles. Then, I had really misjudged my turn around point, because I still had 1.5 miles to walk home , so ended up with 48 minutes total time, including warmup.

On the 4th jogging interval my left lateral knee did get stiff and have a little pain. I sure hope that doesn't become a real problem. Only walking tomorrow. Have to find a better place to run than just up the street - it's not level.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I'm going in a few minutes. My area is really hilly, so I jog when I can, and walk fast when I have to. I go out for about 40 minutes. I don't have an i-pod, but will get one soon, so for now, I'm just going to do what I can. Thank goodness it isn't raining!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 201/166.8/140

Height: 5'3

did day 2...came off the treadmill soaked!! This week isn't going to be as hard as some of the weeks to come!!
jessacaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #13  

Grrrr - my left lateral knee hurt a little bit on the last interval. Now it's been painful all day. Don't think I'll even be walking (for exercise, that is) tomorrow. Grrrrr.

Grrrrr. Did I already say that? Grrrr.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/252.0/150

Height: 5'7

Just did my first day of week 1.

Guys, I am literally going from my oh-so-comfy lazy boy to my dust-collecting treadmill. I'm using the podcast.

I started out at a 2 on my treadmill and my plan was to toggle back and forth between 2 for my walking and 4 for my running. I did 4 the first run cycle and realized I'd never make it everytime. So I ended up going between 2 and 3. And I was thinking to myself "what a loser-you can't even do 4 for 60 seconds". But, you know what? I finished. And when that guy said here's your last run, I pushed it up to 4. And as I was "running" with sweat dripping off my head and my arms pumping and my feet pounding I suddenly felt so strong. ME. 267 pounds. I felt strong. And the guy on the podcast cast said "20 more seconds-you can do it" And I said, "I know I can".

Even doing the entire workout, I only ended up with 1.1 miles. But, for me, that's great! I made a commitment (to do this with you all) and I actually followed through. I know, I know, it's just the first day. I guess I'm just high off those hormones or whatever you get from exercising.
Kelleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #15  
aka Wendi (it's shorter!)

S/C/G: 215/203/155

Height: 5'6"

Kelleigh-

Grats on finishing the first one! I know how much it sucks to hate your pace. I did a running program about a year ago, and usually I had one of my girlfriends with me. She and I are about the same height, and we would be pushing as hard as we could to go at about 5, 5.3ish.

Then one day, after I had worked my way up to about a 7 minute run, my best friend came with me. He's not in great shape at all, but he's a foot taller than me. He immediately turned his treadmill up to about 6.3 just to get a jog going! I was pissed- me, having worked for weeks and I was no where near him on his first try.

However, it quickly became clear that while he was running "faster" than I was, I was pushing myself harder, and sticking with it even when it got hard. And that's what get results. So now I try not to look at the number, and instead listen to my body. As long as I know I'm working myself, that's what matters!

Now I sound like a cheerleader....
Asynchronous is offline   Reply With Quote