Old 08-05-2008, 01:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Question Massage to "break up" the fat!?

I've been doing some research on weight loss through massage and reflexology and I've come across several articles which claim that it may be possible to burst the fat capsule between your skin and muscle layers through intense, often painful massage. They all gave some valid points as to why this can work but none of them were backed up with any formal research.

So I've been doing this massage to my stomach and thighs for about two weeks, more or less pinching the fat to get the blood flowing and such. Honestly it seems to be working, but I'm not sure how much of it is actually due to the pinching, rather than my weight loss in general. I've been on the diet for 2 months now and my body looks pretty good, but it wasn't until just a few days ago that my stomach started to look slimmer/firmer.

Has anyone else heard of this? Am I wasting my time with it? What are your thoughts?
tonimaroni2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:00 AM   #2  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

I haven't heard anything about this...I wonder if there is any truth to it. The true question to ask is if the changes you see in your body are solely from dieting or from these massages themselves? I'm curious to find out if the massages really work.
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 AM   #3  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Honestly, I think if that were true I would have the flattest tummy in the world, because I am always pinching my poodge!
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Lol, yes me too. But it's supposed to be very rough almost painful. Here is one of the articles that I read. And for your info, it's from a .org website, which are generally more fact based than .com websites

" According to some research studies, vigorous massage can burst the fat capsules in subcutaneous tissue. This bursting causes adipose tissue to exude, setting the stage for its removal. Lymphatic drainage techniques are ideal near areas of deep tissue work to help the body accommodate, process and eliminate the toxins or fat just released. Only to be considered in combination with proper nutrition and exercise, bursting fat capsules may directly help in weight loss."

Another website gave several other reasons for why it might work but I can't post links yet, sorry!!

Last edited by tonimaroni2; 08-05-2008 at 02:21 AM.
tonimaroni2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:36 AM   #5  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

yes it helps to burn fat. But you have to actually have a massager or you need to have some skills to massage your tummy/thighs, not just pinching, and you have to massage for at least 30 minutes for each section too, to make it works. The first few times might be abit hurtful because you aren't use to it yet, but after that, everything will be fine.

But Massage is just an add-up to the normal diet. This is a good, also a relaxing way. And it WON'T "break up" the fat fast. If you do it alone, it will come off very slowly. But adding it with dieting and exercising is always a good thing ^^
Have fun massage

Last edited by Annita; 08-05-2008 at 02:36 AM.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 AM   #6  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

im not sure i will believe it until i see the empirical research reports. But im a stats freak like that ^_^''
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Massage works to aid weight loss because in the process it increases circulation, which increases body temperature and heart rate. In other words, a good solid massage (not a feel-good rub down, but real, serious deep-tissue work) will help you to lose weight - if done on a regular basis (like weekly or more often).

But you simply cannot "burst" fat cells by squeezing and pinching them. It just doesn't work like that. Until I see a real, medically based study with solid figures, I'm standing by that statement.

Seriously, if rubbing and pinching your fat for 30 mins a day or more really worked, there would be a lot fewer fat people around and a lot more of us walking around rubbing our tummies.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 08-05-2008 at 03:02 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:03 AM   #8  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

massages in the lower stomach can make you go regular....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:08 AM   #9  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Massage works to aid weight loss because in the process it increases circulation, which increases body temperature and heart rate. In other words, a good solid massage (not a feel-good rub down, but real, serious deep-tissue work) will help you to lose weight - if done on a regular basis (like weekly or more often).

So its like a low dose of exercise?
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
So its like a low dose of exercise?
Very very very very low. You'd have to have a several hour a day massage to see any exercise like results.

My friend who is a massage therapist has told me that she and all of her classmates lost weight during the practical part of their training - because they were giving and getting massages (on each other) multiple times a day. Gotta say I can think of worse things to do!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #11  
Cynicism and Smilies

S/C/G: 245/237/145

I dont know about "bursting" fat cells - you're born with a predetermined set of fat cells, which expand to fill and deflate - which is why even those that lose weight will still often see cellulite and/or need liposuction - because the only way to get rid of a fat cell (not the fat, but the cell itself) is to physically remove it.

But I do have a friend who is a massage therapist, and she confirms that vigorous, deep massage can improve the appearance of fat cells by encouraging blood to move to the area. Its why so many "firming" lotions contain things like caffeine - bring the blood to the area to see results.
flabbyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/217/170

Very interesting.
fuzzyhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I also stand by the statement that you can't "burst" fat cells. Fat cells are there and they inflate and when you lose the weight they deflate but they never go away unless they are removed by a doctor/plastic surgeon. Increasing blood flow is good for all areas of the body but if the massage is painful it's likely not worth it.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 240/230/120

Height: 5'10

Im a massage therapist and i have to say i have never heard anything about that.
BeachBum24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'4.5 in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimaroni2 View Post

" According to some research studies, vigorous massage can burst the fat capsules in subcutaneous tissue. This bursting causes adipose tissue to exude, setting the stage for its removal. Lymphatic drainage techniques are ideal near areas of deep tissue work to help the body accommodate, process and eliminate the toxins or fat just released. Only to be considered in combination with proper nutrition and exercise, bursting fat capsules may directly help in weight loss."

Another website gave several other reasons for why it might work but I can't post links yet, sorry!!

Hmm I might look into that but it does say, "setting the stage for its removal". They probably mean exercise and stuff. So it just may be true....but if it's almost painful Massage could that be bad especially on the stomach region? =/
SilentBlue is offline   Reply With Quote