Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Being sick and consuming extra calories

It seems like when I have a cold, which I do now, I am eating more. I don't know if it's comforting or what, but I don't like it. I know I'm eating more calories than I want to. Also, I drink juice over water, for the extra vit C. I don't know if that is just something more out of habit or what. I never drink juice, unless I am sick. Hopefully it will be gone by the end of the week, and I can get back to my normal eating habits....This summer cold stuff is for the birds!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/175

Height: 5'3

Well, they say 'feed a cold, starve a fever' lol.. i notice when i have a cold i tend to eat more as well.. i dont think it's too bad as long as colds are few and far between.. i always eat popcycles when i have a cold.. dont want em any other time.. just when sick lol.. i hope you feel better soon!
jimaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Well, sometimes when you are sick - your body really needs more fuel in order for your cells to do their work defending your body against whatever illness you have.
If you are in a calorie deficit, your body is going to pull the energy it needs from somewhere to fight the infection - and you are going to be exhausted.

I personally think it's okay to rest and eat a little bit more when you are ill (not an excuse to pig out, though!!). Your primary focus should be on getting better at this time.

And I agree - summer colds just stink!!!

Last edited by fiberlover; 08-04-2008 at 09:26 AM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #4  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Chicken Soup!

Although it is an old home remedy, chicken soup has been shown to ease the symptoms of a cold and shorten the duration. My mom always made me chicken soup when I was sick and now I do the same for my kids and myself!

Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Sorry to hear you are sick!

I think it's okay to just relax a bit when sick. Remember that it isn't that your body needs *more* calories, it needs *better quality* calories to heal itself.

When I am sick, these things help me:
orange juice diluted 1/3-1/2 with water, sometimes iced
light wheat toast with light butter
comfort food that is nourishing, especially a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup (the soup has lots of C, the sandwich is made with 40-calorie light wheat bread, 2% american cheese and a tiny bit of butter/pam spray)
unsweetened applesauce
lots of sleep
and of course, my Magic Chicken Soup (so named because it always makes me and my kids feel way better after drinking it. It is very simple and easy make even when you feel lousy. I do salt it up a bit for my kids). Here's the recipe:
http://escapefromobesity.blogspot.co...pdate-241.html

Get better soon!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote