Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

Default Exercise at Night=Lose Weight?

Hi, I was just wondering can you exercise at night and still lose weight and burn off fat?
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #2  
Brittany

S/C/G: 290/Check Tracker/115

Height: 5'5

I don't see why not... burning calories is burning calories... morning noon or night. I'm not an expert but I don't see why it would matter
I Heart Diet Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Absolutely! Any exercise is better than none, no matter when you do it. If night works for you, then that's a great time to exercise.

Some people don't like to exercise at night because it energizes them and then they find it hard to sleep. I exercise in the early evening at least once a week, sometimes twice a week. Most days I exercise in the afternoon and a couple of days a week I exercise in the morning.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:46 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
Absolutely! Any exercise is better than none, no matter when you do it. If night works for you, then that's a great time to exercise.

Some people don't like to exercise at night because it energizes them and then they find it hard to sleep. I exercise in the early evening at least once a week, sometimes twice a week. Most days I exercise in the afternoon and a couple of days a week I exercise in the morning.

Well, I'm mostly a night person, I tend to sleep during the day. I'm gonna be exercising to Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred but obviously would have to do it downstairs as the jumping jacks and jump rope exercise will probably shake the whole house and I don't like people to even know I exercise.. which is probably a problem.. cause I like to exercise in secret.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

JellyBean, I'd think you'd be proud that you're exercising!!!
lovnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #6  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Jellybean: I am also a night person, because I work the graveyard shift. I work out in the late afternoon before work (my "morning") and then again in the morning when I get home, before I go to bed (my "evening" time).

I've been losing weight on that schedule for many months now.

Also, I understand what you mean about not wanting to let everyone else know you are working out. I'm the same way, actually. I consider myself a private person, and hate the idea of anyone knowing what I'm doing.

I have a squeaky floorboard in my work-out room that I try to avoid, but it's right in the middle of the room! So, I know my neighbors can probably hear it when I'm doing my aerobics tapes. And yeah, I don't like it.

I suppose I should feel proud that people know I'm working out and taking care of myself, but to me it almost feels like going to the bathroom with the door open in public!

I can't explain why I feel this way though.

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 08-03-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Cheeks View Post
Jellybean: I am also a night person, because I work the graveyard shift. I work out in the late afternoon before work (my "morning") and then again in the morning when I get home, before I go to bed (my "evening" time).

I've been losing weight on that schedule for many months now.

Also, I understand what you mean about not wanting to let everyone else know you are working out. I'm the same way, actually. I consider myself a private person, and hate the idea of anyone knowing what I'm doing.

I have a squeaky floorboard in my work-out room that I try to avoid, but it's right in the middle of the room! So, I know my neighbors can probably hear it when I'm doing my aerobics tapes. And yeah, I don't like it.

I suppose I should feel proud that people know I'm working out and taking care of myself, but to me it almost feels like going to the bathroom with the door open in public!

I can't explain why I feel this way though.

Ya, I can't explain why with me either.. I guess it's cause I'm heavy and never liked myself and I have like no self esteem. Kinda sucks. Wish I didn't care what everyone else thinks.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #8  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I can so identify with not wanting to have people see me exercise. Because other people feel the same way, it makes me think that maybe this is something I need to explore, find out just why that is the case, because maybe this fear/guilt/worry/whatever is a barrier to being healthy and uncovering why could help me enjoy exercise more.

I exercise in the evening because I am so not a morning person and I have to be at work at 7:45 a.m., anyway, which is like a little bit of torture built into every day. One weird thing is that I find it so annoying to have to shower twice, once when I get up in the morning and again after I exercise in the evening because I get so sweaty. I've tried to get up especially early to exercise because of that, but I just haven't been able to do it.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean32882 View Post
Ya, I can't explain why with me either.. I guess it's cause I'm heavy and never liked myself and I have like no self esteem. Kinda sucks. Wish I didn't care what everyone else thinks.

I used to exercise exclusively in the evenings because of childcare and because that's when I was most interested in exercising. As I've lost weight I've become more of a morning person (more, but never fully! ) and I've really come to enjoy exercising first thing in the morning on the weekends.

I think that it's important to do what's most appealing to you personally so that you'll be more likely to stick with it.

Good luck with finding an exercise plan that suits you and in working towards loving your body! Keep us posted on how things go.
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #10  

S/C/G: size 26/size 16/size 12

Height: 5'9"

I think the reason that so many of us hate it to be known that we are exercising is because of the ostracism that overweight people experience in this society. Can any of you who say you want your workouts to be private honestly say that you have never been made fun of because of your weight? I know I have been, plenty of times. Once I was walking down the street, and these people leaned out of their truck to scream, "Hey fat mama," "Fat girls need love, too." and other such garbage. While riding my bike someone yelled, "You better pedal your fat @$$ harder than that." Once I was at the gym when this guy who I will refer to as Stanley Steroids came over and began talking to me like I was a four year old. After completely insulting my intelligence and trying to tell me that I was working out all wrong, he said in an extremely, over the top condescending tone, "You know, you'll never get anywhere if you don't diet and exercise regularly. Once a week in the gym isn't going to cut it, especially if you're scarfing cookies and chips afterward." (I finally did tell Stanley where he could stick it, in VERY colorful terms.) Those are just the times I can remember off the top of my head. There have been plenty more. Is it any wonder we don't want to work out in front of others? We get made fun of because we are overweight, and then get made fun of because we are fat and exercising. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. Ahem (Michelle has cleared her throat and stepped down off her soapbox. Thank you.)
150reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:11 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150reasons View Post
I think the reason that so many of us hate it to be known that we are exercising is because of the ostracism that overweight people experience in this society. Can any of you who say you want your workouts to be private honestly say that you have never been made fun of because of your weight? I know I have been, plenty of times. Once I was walking down the street, and these people leaned out of their truck to scream, "Hey fat mama," "Fat girls need love, too." and other such garbage. While riding my bike someone yelled, "You better pedal your fat @$$ harder than that." Once I was at the gym when this guy who I will refer to as Stanley Steroids came over and began talking to me like I was a four year old. After completely insulting my intelligence and trying to tell me that I was working out all wrong, he said in an extremely, over the top condescending tone, "You know, you'll never get anywhere if you don't diet and exercise regularly. Once a week in the gym isn't going to cut it, especially if you're scarfing cookies and chips afterward." (I finally did tell Stanley where he could stick it, in VERY colorful terms.) Those are just the times I can remember off the top of my head. There have been plenty more. Is it any wonder we don't want to work out in front of others? We get made fun of because we are overweight, and then get made fun of because we are fat and exercising. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. Ahem (Michelle has cleared her throat and stepped down off her soapbox. Thank you.)

That makes sense.. Ya I used to get made fun of all the time while in school, but not for being fat cause I wasn't really fat then.. but as I did get fat my family kept making comments so that's prob why I don't like to workout with them knowing.. when I was thinner I worked out alot more and didn't care what people thought..

BTW, does anyone know what lb weights Jillian Michaels uses in her 30 Day Shred DVD? I got 2lb weights, though people prolly use 25lb weights these days..