Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #1  
No description available.

Default Cool Runners----August 2008

Josephine, I hear you on how it feels to have to dial back on the running. I didn't run two days this week and it about killed me. I was terrified that I would lose all my gains and also gain back all that I have lost---if that makes sense. I finally ran today and blasted out a 5K in about 28 minutes. The fastest ever. Rest can be a *good* thing. So hang in there, take care of yourself, and you will be a stronger runner when you are able to go again.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #2  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

5k in 28 minutes? Holy cripes, that's fast!

I got through my run today, but it seemed a little harder than yesterday for some reason. Maybe because I did an extra 5 minutes, and picked up the pace for a bit yesterday?

Anyway, all my muscles were twitching like mad after I was done today! It made me think that maybe they were freaking out since I've been demanding so much of them. Well, they had quite a number of years to "rest," so now it's time to work!
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #3  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Red face

This week I am going to "restart" my c25k along with a 30 minute HIIT I do on the TM. I really wanna build up to running the entire thing.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #4  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I did my 3FC Midsummer's 5K this weekend and I clocked in at a personal best of 34:20. Looking forward to getting my time down and increasing distance over the month of August...

of course school starts in 12 days so I'll have to fight to stay on track I think...but I haven't fallen off the wagon yet, so I imagine I can power thru a few busy months!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I spent mine at the beach and the pool and only ran on Friday because my legs were a bit sore from that run...but I'll be back on track on Monday!
~A
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

Hello August runners!!

Today was my last long run before my race in two weeks. Our clinic group headed out to run the actual half-marathon course since we were scheduled for 20k anyhow. I'm really glad we did this since I now have a better idea of what to expect and how to pace myself in regards to the two large hills early in the course.

During my past few long runs I've hit a mental/energy level dip around the 12K mark so today I did my shot blocks a bit earlier and it really seemed to help. I didn't start to get tired until the 18K mark, which seemed like a pretty reasonable reaction to running for 2 hours!

My goal for this race has been to come in under 2:30, and with our very relaxed and socializing pace today we came in at 2:26 so I'm feeling very confident that I'll do well. My official time for my half 6 years ago was 2:14 (though I'd done the distance at 1:45 a week previous ) and I would be thrilled to no end if I were able to beat that time. I don't want to pressure myself on that number, though, so I won't hold it up as my goal.

So the rest of this week continues as normal (11 hill reps on Wednesday!!) then I taper starting next week. I'm getting so excited!!!
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #6  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hey cool runners! I did my first HIIT training this past friday. In general I'm not great at pushing myself with workouts. I'm just pleased to be moving at all
But, it was for 10 mins 30 sec 4/treadmill, then 1.5min 7/treadmill. With my usual stuff b4 and after. Wow, hard. But something I will repeat when on that treadmill again. It was my plan to go for a long run but that got rescheduled d/t my baby (2yo) having a pretty significant rash while being on antibiotics-- not an allergic rxn, I happily confirmed with his doctor.

ANyway, I got my longer run in today and felt pretty good throughout.
Have a cool running start to the week
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:03 AM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Yay, I'm finally recovered enough to run again, thank goodness, I was going stir crazy and biking just wasn't fitting the bill! I need my runs!

Midwife -- way to blast out that fast 5k, whoo hoo! When I ran this morning I thought I was taking it easy but I can in faster than I expected, so you are right, a bit of rest isn't going to kill us! LOL! Still, I'm ready for some serious road time now, no more sick days for a while, please!

I got in a nice 5.41 miler this morning which will be my one-day-late run for the Midsummer's 5k (plus!).

Everybody is looking GOOD, what a nice way to start August! Way to go!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato
Jo,
Sorry to hear that you are still under the weather. Take a good care of yourself, OK? Maybe I could fedex you one of my greyhounds (she would be there by 8:30 tomorrow morning LOL) - she would love to curl up with you in bed and keep you company.
By the way, I had a good chuckle over your story with the fan facing the opposite direction - I so totally understand! :-)
I'd love a greyhound, *cough cough*, I think I still need cuddles to reach a full recovery! Greyhounds are so gorgeous!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #9  
is baaaad to the bone!

Jo - I know what you mean about a rest day doing you good....but I am one to fight it too! I love my running these days and want to improve myself distance and time wise...which I know I have to start taking more days off in order to do....but it is soooo hard....

I'm trying to work out a plan of action on how many miles to run on which days in order to increase my distance....anybody have any thoughts on this? My goal for August is to get up to 5miles comfortably. Right now I run up to 3.5 miles comfortably....but anything beyond that and I'm pretty much whipped. Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #10  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Kim - as usual, I am tired just reading your posts!

Jo - nice to have you back. I have a question for you - I saw the (spectacular, I might say) pics in the Midsummer Night's thread - is it a watch you are wearing or is it the distance/calorie/hear rate/whatever tracking gizmo?

Amanda - I caught up with your post in the Goals forum only recently and you are smokin' hot, lady! No wonder half of the guys from the gym are fighting over the privilege to run with you!
Since I am way below you in performance, I don't have much advice except that is seems to me a lot to try going from 3.5 to 5 miles in one month. Maybe take it slowly and keep adding a bit by bit (that's what works for me) rather than pushing yourself too much?

I, too have to agree that a bit of rest is GOOD. I did NOTHING yesterday (the translation is keeping me glued to the computer and if I continue surfing 3FC I definitely WON'T meet the deadline) so no gym yesterday and today is questionable - I am too behind.
But, I did run this morning and man, did I feel chipper!!! It went really awesome until the last 100 calories (I prefer the calorie display than the time or the distance, I know, I am a weirdo LOL). But both today and on Saturday, I ran 3.7 miles. My pace is still snailish, but that's ok. I will slowly start experimenting with adding a bit more incline (maybe at intervals). I run with 2%, time to start flirting with 3%.

Oh, I almost forgot - midwife, you look awesome!!!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #11  

Thanks Tomato!

Amanda, I try to increase my weekly mileage by no more than 10% and I try to tack that on to a longer run.

So, if you are running 3.5 miles 4 times a week you are running 14 miles a week. (Look out! I can do math!) So I would increase no more than 1.4 miles for the following week. I would then run 3 3.5 mile runs and then a 5 mile run (yes, that is a bit more than 10% but I like even numbers. I would do that for two weeks and then bump up another run to 5 miles, until each run is 5 miles and then I would figure out 10% and put that on the end of a single run again. Clear as mud? But it depends what your goals are. I need to work up to a 10 mile training run before my half marathon and that will be a single weekly run with my other runs 3-5 miles only.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #12  
needs constant reminding

I need a kick in the pants to get running right NOW.
I am sitting at my work desk obsessively worrying about 4yo ds, shy moody not so easy going sometimes and my chest is pounding.

I know the best thing for me is to get moving/running to my other work site. Emotional topics are less weighty (so to speak) after a nice sweaty run. (I have a change of clothing)

ok here I go, thanks for letting me vent during this post. I'm really changing and going... NOW!

Back at work... feeling better...talked to sitter ds better//more than better... KIDS WILL AGE A WOMAN!!!

Last edited by kittycat40; 08-04-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #13  

Kitty, . Being a mama is the hardest thing ever.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #14  
needs constant reminding

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Kitty, . Being a mama is the hardest thing ever.
ain't dat da trut hugs to you too!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #15  
is baaaad to the bone!

Good Morning Ladies! Thank you for your advice on the increasing my distance. I really believe what you all said is great....that being said last night was just my night...100% unplanned...and I ran my first ever 5 miles straight up no breaks! I ran it in 53:30....now, that being said, I'm taking it easy tonight (although I feel fine this morning) because I'd like to continually be able to decrease my time on the 5 miler this month. Although I'll probably only run that distance 2 nights/week. Don't want to hurt myself!

I still can't believe I did it last night. I'm very proud...and down another pound to boot!
~A