Old 08-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #1  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

Default That 70's Show - August/September Edition!

Hello Hello Hello! I'm taking the liberty of starting a new thread for us. I think going for 2 months at a time is good...if anyone disagrees...well...you can start the next thread hee hee!

Sorry I've been MIA the past couple of days. I've just plain been busy between having work and fun! I've been to the pool or beach both Saturday and Sunday and got some good sunshine in! It's so hard to not go to one or the other when you live on the coast of FL (born & raised!). I went out on Friday night for the first time in a very long time. I saw quite a few of the folks that I work out with regularly at the gym (although we usually go about our own ways and don't speak, just smile and nod at the gym) and one of the guys was friends with my friend...well, he came up to me, said hello, introduced himself...we talked about running for a second...then I had to go (just got to the bar and no drink in my hand!!) in any case...he told my friend that I was very pretty...and he has been friends with my friend since elementary school....we didn't talk much after that, but I did catch him checking me out a few times and he did grab my hand as I walked past him for another trip to the bar....too bad he just moved about 2 hours south of wehre I live for work...so probably not a good prospect.

Oh...I'm talking about guys a lot lately because I finally broke up with my DBF of 6.5 years last week. It's been a long time coming. I'm happy about it because we have been on such different planets for a long time. It was well past due and although it's not what he wants, we are working things out as friends and it does look like all will be okay.

Let's see...my goals for this month....I'd like to dip down into the 140's if at all possible. I don't know if my body is ready to go there yet. I know I've reached my original goal, but I don't think another 10lbs would hurt. I still have flabby arms and as much as I work them out and lift weights, I do believe that I need to lose a few more pounds to get them to where I'd be happy with them. I'd also like to up my running over the course of the month. Currently I run 3.1 miles (5k) 5 nights a week. I'm working on changing that to 5k 3 nights a week and then working up to a 5 mile run a couple of nights a week. I'm really into my running and would like to become a distance runner. I'm absolutely ecstatic about how well I am coming along with my running as I was never a runner (even as a teenager) and now I just love it. It's also a great way to meet people who share a similar interest...because from my new found experience, runners love to talk running...and they love to do it with others...I've been invited by a couple of different guys at the gym to go running with them in various places...and I may eventually take them up on some of it!

I need to get back on track with my fiber intake...it has gone down lately....it is what got me to lose my weight, but I have not been tracking it faithfully, but do know I need to increase it a bit!

Well, I'm outta here, got lots of work that needs to be done!
~Amanda
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #2  

Thanks for the new thread! My goal for Aug/Sept: Exercise 3-5x per week. That's right. I'm jumping back on the exercise bandwagon. Also, I want to be more consistent with my diet. I've given up on perfection, but better would be good!
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #3  
is baaaad to the bone!

Beginme - good for you for getting your exercise in! Remember...start our slow and work your way up to the 5 days/week....otherwise you'll probably hate it before the week is done!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #4  

Where's 2BThin? Seems like she hasn't been around for a while. Hope all is well.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #5  
is baaaad to the bone!

She's peeked in here and there...I imagine she's really busy with the kids!!!

I miss her.

I'm down a pound this morning. 153lbs! yay!

I ran 5 miles straight up last night (I call it straight up cause that means no stopping) and did it at 5.7 miles/hour...53:30 of straight running on the treadmill. It wasn't planned. My August goal was to get to running 5 miles by the end of the month...last night just felt right. I normally just run 3.25 miles...so it was a big difference...but I didn't have any problems until about 4.5 miles when my right knee started feeling it. I feel great this morning though - not sore at all...and I even lifted weights for 90 minutes after my run!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #6  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Default I'm back and it's time for confessions .....

Hi Everyone!

WARNING! ~ This could be a long post!

Sorry it's been a while since I last posted ... forgot to mention that I was going away for 2 weeks holiday, and the few days run up to going away I was so busy that I didn't get around to posting! Anyway, I'm back now and it's time to confess my sins! My holiday has been one looooong binge ... eating, drinking ... you name it, I've had it! I think I've been in a kind of self destruction mode. A few things triggered me off whilst I was away, but instead of making me more determined to do something about my weight problem, it only made me more depressed about the situation that I'm in, and when I feel that way I end up pigging out ... which of course makes the situation worse! And so the vicious circle continues!

I've spent the past 2 weeks feeling like a beached whale! I hated having to bare my body in a swimsuit and felt so ashamed and inferior, constantly comparing myself to all the other bikini clad bodies on the beach or by the swimming pool. I'm so fat, that when I was lying down on a sun lounger by the pool, I struggled like a turtle on its back trying to get up again! I was so embarrassed about it, that I would lie there for ages until I was sure that my husband and kids weren't watching until I'd attempt to get up again!

My legs are so fat that the inner thighs rub together so much and it was actually painful to walk from the lounger to the pool. Not only that, but I've developed varicose veins in one of my legs on the lower calf which have become painful when I'm walking more than a short distance. ****! ... I feel like my old grandmother!!

All the clothes that I took with me ... even new ones which I bought just before I went away ... are now too tight!!

The hotel we were staying in (on an island in Malaysia) was set on the edge of the rainforest, leading down the hillside to a secluded white sandy beach ... absolutely wonderful location with fabulous scenery. Hubby would go off for a walk early every morning and come back with tales of the amazing wildlife that he'd seen ... my excuse for not going was that it was too hot for me to enjoy walking ... but we all know the real reason is because I'm overweight and unfit.

The final straw that broke the camels back was when we went on a cable car ride up and over the mountains (no, don't worry, my weight didn't break it!). When we got to the top, there were viewing towers and there was a suspension bridge from one peak to another, but to get to the bridge you had to walk down many, many steps ... we started walking down them and when I saw how many there were, I just knew that I'd never make it back up again. I walked down about 50 steps and shouted to my son that I was turning back. I had to push my way back up the narrow steps past people trying to get down them, puffing and panting in the heat and humidity, feeling like I was going to have a heart attack!! I felt so ashamed and upset. Angry with myself for having to miss out on the experience with my husband and kids ... just because I'm so fat and unfit! I sat alone at the top of the viewing tower sweating profusely with tears stinging my eyes and threatening to spill over. I waited alone until they returned.

Never again is this going to happen to me.

I arrived back home at midnight last night and the first thing I did this morning was to hop on the scales. It was no surprise to learn that I've gained several pounds. The shocker for me was that I'm now at the heaviest I've ever been in my whole life. An even bigger shocker for me is that (bearing in mind in the UK we tend to weigh in stones/pounds rather than just pounds) I've finally broken the 14 stone barrier. I've hovered a few pounds under that for a long time now and vowed that I would never reach it. However, I've now exceeded it and weighed in at a hefty 14st/1lb!!

I know I've said this many times before, but this time I KNOW that I can't continue the way that I am going, and things have simply got to change. I can't carry on destroying my body and my life.

Today I'm starting a new life. Weightloss ticker updated. Mindset refreshed. On your marks ... Get set ... Go!!

RANT over!!

Amanda ~ Congratulations for getting to goal! ... I'm off to read your goal post now to give me some much needed motivation!

Everyone else ~ keep up the good work!

Last edited by Fat in Hong Kong; 08-08-2008 at 05:21 AM.
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #7  

(())S to you FIHK. Good job Amanda.

I've been doing much better with my food and I made my debut on the elliptical today. I was able to do 7:03. That's it. I was really winded afterwards. My goal for Sunday: The Big 8 Minutes. I figure if I increase my time by 1 minute every time I do it, I'll be able to move up to 20/30 minutes reasonably.

We'll see.....
Old 08-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #8  
is baaaad to the bone!

HongKong - please don't be so hard on yourself. This is a journey, and with all of life's journey's there are bound to be ups and downs. The good news is that healthy eating will 100% become a part of your life - and what you are binge eating now will not be what you consider a binge in the future (I swear, it's very exciting to look back upon!). In any case, I hope you enjoyed your holiday and welcome back!!!

Beginme - good job on getting on the elliptical. The good news is that every single minute counts. Especially when you were doing nothing before. Take it slow but challenge yourself to add on a few extra minutes each week. I wouldn't add a minute each day...but maybe every 3 days. You don't want to over do it too soon! The elliptical is great for your butt! (if you were interested in that knowledge!) When I started working out a year ago - I could only do 5 minutes on the elliptical - now as of last week I ran for a full 53 minutes straight at a good solid pace on the treadmill. It's amazing what challenging yourself can do. You'll get there!

As for me - Life is super busy with school starting up. Got a good day of sun bathing in today (probably the last for awhile!) and did some house cleaning. Today is my off day for the gym - I've been going 5-6 days/week for some time now. Tomorrow I'll try to fit in another long run (can only do that one day per week or else I'll kill myself!)....hope everyone is doing well!
~A
Old 08-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #9  

Hi Amanda ~ Thanks for that little pep talk, it's helped to lift my spirits a bit, and it's good to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel! Apart from my obvious problems, I did enjoy the holiday, it was very relaxing, just what we all needed. I've put the bad eating habits behind me and I'm well and truly back on track.

I'll be away again from 22-25 August, just for a few days with hubby ... it'll be our first time ever away without the kids ... that's nearly 20 years!! It was our 22nd Wedding Anniversary whilst we were in Malaysia, but we decided to make a proper celebration ... just the two of us Obviously I intend to enjoy myself, but I will endeavour to keep my eating under control ... hopefully the fact that it is only for a few days won't have such a big impact as being away for 2 weeks should I go over the top!!

We have been invited by friends to an annual dinner on 20 September. Usually they have a fancy dress theme, which I don't particularly enjoy, but this year it's going to be a black tie dinner, so I have to wear an evening gown ... I think I would have preferred fancy dress!! At least then I could wear something to disguise myself and it would all be for fun! Now I've got to find an evening dress to fit me!! I do already own two, but guess what? ... They don't fit!! One of them I bought last year, and as no one else who will be attending this dinner has ever seen it, hubby suggested that I wear that one ... he doesn't realize that it doesn't fit anymore!! Finding 'normal' clothes, in large sizes, in Hong Kong is a nightmare, let alone trying to find an evening dress to fit me!! I'm already dreading the thought of it!!

Last edited by Fat in Hong Kong; 08-12-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #10  
is baaaad to the bone!

Good Morning Ladies - I'm down another pound this am to 151lbs! Only 6 more evil pounds of fat to go! It's very refreshing to be moving along on this last darned 10lbs...the ones I hadn't originally planned for. I can't believe that I'll be in the 140's soon. I am a little concerned for how my eating habits will change or be affected with the starting of school next week Monday. I've already stocked my filing cabinet with a case of fiber one bars, tootsie roll pops (only 60 calories!), some slim fast, and other snacks I enjoy. I even purchased some tupperware cereal bowls so that I could just grab a bowl and go on my way out the door each morning...and I'll have the pre-measured. I seriously eat a lot of cereal some weeks!

Had a great workout last night. Spent some time chatting with one of the guys from the gym afterwards. We both have crushes on each other...we've both admitted to it....and he actually suggested that we skip the gym one night and do something together...outside of the gym....we shall see...I gave him my phone number and told him that if he got bored, to give me a call and we'd do something....

Okay..enough of that...I've got lots of work to do!

Hong Kong - don't worry so much about today. Worry about your future. Getting the weight off today effects tomorrow. Believe me, I 100% feel your pain for the not wanting to get dressed up thing..it's an awful feeling when you don't feel comfy in anything you wear. The good news is that the sooner you get the weight off - I swear - the sooner you will feel like you can wear anything...because that's how I feel now. I feel like I look relatively good in any of the clothes I go shopping for. It's an amazing feeling - you just have to get past the sad and yuck feelings of today in order to get to your future!!! The harder you work at it, the sooner you will have these new and great feelings!

Okay...I'm really outta here!
~A
Old 08-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #11  

Amanda ~ Fantastic job getting down to 151lbs!! You are brilliant!! Keep us up to date about the guy thing ... I can see a big romance developing here!!

I hear what you're saying about the sooner I get the weight off the sooner I'll feel happy with whatever I choose to wear. I think I've sort of resigned myself to the fact now that the weight isn't going to shift overnight and I've just got to make the best of what I've got right now. I know I'm not going to be slim and sexy by the time this dinner comes around, so there's no point in me stressing out about it, there's nothing I can do to make it go away by then.

Anyway, I decided that I'm not going to spend the next few weeks trawling the shops trying to find something that fits ... I know from my last experience that it's highly unlikely that I'll find anything ... so I've done what I did last time and searched various websites that sell plus-size evening gowns. Last time I found a dress and it was a perfect fit when it arrived (but it doesn't fit anymore!), so I did the same yesterday and found a dress that I liked, and the price was very good, so I've ordered it. I checked all my measurements and erred on the side of caution and ordered one that may be a little too big ... it's much easier to get something that's too big altered to fit, rather than something that's too small, and there's not a lot you can do about that! It's really easy to get things altered here so hopefully it'll be ok. And if I don't like it when it comes, I've still got time to find another!!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #12  
is baaaad to the bone!

Wow! Hectic Week. Had "meet your teacher" today and seems as though I'll have a pretty good group of kids this year! However, I'm exhausted! Going to the beach in the morning, shopping afterwards, then to a Clam Bake for 20-40 year olds...all tomorrow...so I better get to bed soon!

Down to 149lbs this morning...probably because I've been very busy and not eating 100% of my calories every day. Will be on track soon, but still want to get down a little bit more...however some of my size 8 pants are getting big on me and I don't really want to be a size 6 all the time....so we shall see how it works out!

Off to bed, I'm a sleepy head!
~A
Old 08-15-2008, 11:54 PM   #13  

Well done Amanda, you're in the 140's!!

Weighed-in myself yesterday and I'm down 4lbs this week, so more or less back to what I was before I went away ... finally on the right track!

Have a good weekend everyone!
Old 08-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #14  
is baaaad to the bone!

4lbs is great Nichola!! Congrats - you are doing so well staying on the band wagon now!

I've got to get back to work - lots of stuff to do to prepare for the first day of school!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #15  

Hi Amanda ~ Yep, things are pretty hectic here too! My son is going back to university in the UK on 6 Sept, so I've had to sort out his flights, plus he's moving off campus this year into a privately rented house with a few of his friends, so I'm having to sort stuff out such as insurance and trying to get someone to move all his stuff etc ... it's a bit difficult when you live on the other side of the world!! Also, going away myself again for a few days on Friday, get back on Monday and start work again on Wednesday! We have 3 prep days before the kids start back on 1st Sept. I'm actually sort of looking forward to going back to work ... the school holidays have been so long ... but I'm not looking forward to getting up in the mornings ... school starts at 8am so I have to be up at 6.30 ... it's going to be so hard!!