Old 08-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #1  

Default Newbie here!

Hi! My name is Linda and I just happened upon this site when I was looking for a recipe! It came up in the google search. Thinking I should take it as a sign, I decided to sign up.

Dieting is so, so hard for me! I am 60 years old and retired. By nature I'm a very sendintary person. When DH is out riding his bike, I am sitting here knitting. When he goes for a walk, I'm reading a book. I never have been and never will enjoy physical exercise or sports. So that's challenge #1, because I know I have to move to lose!

I have severe arthritis...back, hips, shoulders, knees, ankles, fingers...you name the joint it's there! So certain exercises are pretty painful.

And finally I have lymphodema in both my legs. It's not attractive at all and it's just another excuse for me to stay home.

I have over 100 pounds that I should lose, but honestly, I sometimes wonder if it's just not too late!

So here I am...hoping for some inspiration, and maybe a good old fashioned kick in the butt!
celtictrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

LINDA!!!

First question - didja find the recicpe?

You do need to move to lose - I used to think I hated exercise, too. It sounds to me like you need to find something that isn't too painful to start with. Maybe something in a pool?

Ummm...at 60 it sure as heck is NOT TOO LATE... It's never too late to feel healthy and fit.

Have you shopped around for an eating plan that seems like it would fit your style?
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi Linda - and welcome to 3FC!!

Don't have the attitude that you will never enjoy physical exercise. It's just a matter of finding something you like. Get up and walk with your DH one night. Ask him to take it slow, stop and enjoy the scenery, smell the flowers, feel the breeze or the sunshine. Take it slow, and you will find that you can enjoy being active, and the more active you become, the more activity you will want to do.

You might want to look into some chair exercises for those with mobility problems. That way you can get in some movement without it being too stressful on your body.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Welcome, Linda!

I am so glad you found 3FC! This is a terrific site for support, friendship and ideas. It's never too late!

I too have alot of physical problems - arthritis, other chronic muscle aches and some mobility problems. I have used some chair exercises to help get movement into my life. I always do stretches, daily. Of course...always check with your doctor to see what good is for you to do. And whenever there is a physical contraint involved....always start really slow. I hope you can find something. Is there a warm pool near by where you can gently move in the water?

It's hard to lose weight without movement...but, not totally impossible. It goes slower. I've lost my 71 pounds doing healthy eating, daily stretching, and some chair exercises a few times a week. You can do this!!!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-02-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #5  

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement. I know you're right: I just have to do it! I have to get my mind in the right place! Walking is my best best right now. Then when I get some other issues taken care of, maybe I'll go back to the community pool.

As for a diet, I've had some success in the past with Weight Watchers, but I'm not really able to afford it right now. I don't eat any meat but fish, so I've heard that maybe the Mediterranean diet is a good one for me.
celtictrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 281/264/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Linda!

Trust me when I say the exercise will grow on you! I used to hate it but now I really quite enjoy my time at the the gym. I really have a sense of accomplishment when I'm done.
TechieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #7  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Hi Linda! Like you I'm not much for exercise. I do take my dogs for walks but I mosey along whiel they run through the woods and I'm as likey to find a nice rock to sit on to knit or read while they race around. I have neither the money nor the time (nor any inclination) to go to the gym. And I'm 50 so at that age where the pounds come off slower and harder.

But you can lose weight even with very moderate exercise. And as you do you may be more interested in getting out and about.

The WW forums here are excellent support even if you can't afford to join a local group. All the forums here are excellent support! You can do it!

Vlad
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #8  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Hi Linda. I wanted to welcome you to 3fc's! Please don't ever think it's too late.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #9  
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

Welcome!

Pool exercises might be a nice alternative for you. I do know lymphodema can be a deterrent for some to be seen in a bathing suit. Maybe check if they have adult only time or lane swim time - often these are at the same time... Most in the pool if you head there earlier in the day or later in the evening are adults age 50+ and often the pool is not at all busy during the day when it is school time (which is only a month away at the most depending on your area).

S
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #10  
The Keymaker

S/C/G: 328/250/160

Height: 5'7

Smile You can do it!

Hi Linda,
Thanks for introducing yourself! My advice: take FULL ADVANTAGE of everything this wonderful site has to offer. There are countless forums to choose from and everyone here is so supportive and friendly (not like other websites I've witnessed). It has seriously become a source of motivation for me. I visit daily, reading posts, repsonding to posts, updating my ticker (I LOVE moving that bad boy down), writing in the free diet journals, meeting new people with similar issues and goals, etc.

I would also agree that working out in a swimming pool. That may just be the answer for you. It's very low intensity and would probably work well with your arthritis.

Good luck and keep posting!
Jess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Linda!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote