Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Default 40's Chatter in August

Hi all, I go by lovnmom and I'll be 44 in just 8 short days. I have 4 beautiful children nearly 15, 13, 11, and 8. I'd been a yo yo dieter since the age of 12. Sadly, I had a mother who didn't understand about normal baby fat....anyway, when I turned 40 I said, "enough is enough," and quit dieting. I spent almost 2 years journalling and learning to just love me for me. I gained 40 pounds and was ok with it. I was happy and loved me until my then 6 year old learned to ride a bike...Oh happy days, we can all hit the bike trails for days of fun together. Accept our first trip out, me at 5'2" and 175# couldn't keep up with my 6 year old. I was miserable and truth be told so were the kids. They had to keep stopping and waiting for mom at every stop sign...that day I cried and cried hard. I didn't want to start the whole lose, gain, lose, gain cycle again. I was so afraid that my size was going to start equalling my worth again...I made a list of things to START DOING.Be sure and drink 64 oz of water EVERY day, eat 2 fruits EVERY day, have veggies with EVERY meal EVERY day, read my Bible lesson EVERY day, journal my thoughts EVERY day. My list contained no DON'TS and no time frame. I was trying to be healthier not skinnier. I stayed focused on doing this for my quality of life not the size of my jeans. It hasn't always been easy to keep that focus. That was May 2006 so yes, it has taken me 26 months to drop 39#. I'm more of a marathon loser than a sprinter, but I'm happy and I'm succeeding one lowly pound at a time. 3FC has been my true life line to give and get support. I've been posting at the 40's site and others faithfully for some time now. It really makes a difference. I hope you will join me.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #2  

Ok, so here's my post for today.
Baseball season is finally over and my life will get a lot easier now. I'm hitting the Wal-Mart this morning as I'm out of laundry detergent, Cascade, toilet paper and even band aids. There's no way to avoid shopping this weekend. These trips usually include the children begging to go to the Chinese Buffet which can send me into "Ahhhhhhhh help me mode." I love all the fried stuff and everything else too, plus there's so much sodium. Scary stuff ya know. Thankfully, DSs had football for 2 and a half hours yesterday and another mother is doing a marathon next weekend so she drug me on an 8 mile walk yesterday. That's twice as far as I usually go, so if we end up at Chinese I'm going to relax, try to enjoy, and eat only until I'm full not stuffed...pray for me.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning,

I am new to this group, but not new to weight battles.
I've been hanging out here @ 3fc for almost 3 yrs.
Started when I was on LAWL in 05' - it is such a fantastic site.
Sadly I have regained half of what I lost - guess my maintenance plan was not very well thought out.
Nevermind - I am back on track and ready to succeed.
Goal = to lose those 20 lbs again before my 46th bDay in May 09

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

-Susan
Old 08-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #4  

Susan, It's really nice to meet you. You sound like you have the right attitude to succeed. I still think there is success in your gain...you put on the breaks and stopped gaining before it was all back on. Great job!
Have a great weekend!
Old 08-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #5  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Hi Susan and welcome.

It's Homecoming this weekend in our little town. As per usual it's hot and humid. We will go up later as the parade starts at 5. middle daughter will be marching with the poms squad. It's that time of year as they perform at all the football games.

Lovn when you run out of laundry detergent and toilet paper it's definetly time to go shopping. Enjoy the chinese. I try to avoid buffets, don't do too well with them.

Stay cool everyone.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the welcomes.

If anyone is too warm - you can come here. It's around 65 and raining.
Just went for a run and it started pouring on my way back.

Good run and lucrative too - I found $22 on the trail

-S
Old 08-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 222/212/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi, I introduced myself at the end of your July thread, I'll have a go again since this is fresh.

I also lost weight and re-gained, went from 200 down to 160, then back to 200 with an extra 20 to boot when I went on anti-depressents. I kept my FitDay account, mostly because I still logged in my activity.

I'm 44 (b-day in May) have a wonderful husband and two active kids.

I'm homeschooling my son which creates alot of stress in my life, and I am a studio artist, out hawking my pottery and sculpture.

Luvnmom, I did my Walmart shopping yesterday and had Chinese, but it was a combo plate, a little less scary than a buffet.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #8  

Clyde, Homecoming already?!?!?! Are your children back in school already too? Our H.S. homecoming is always in October more towards the end of the season. Have fun at the festivities. Has DD been real busy with her poms practices and stuff?

clayr, welcome again. Is your avatar some of your work? It's beautiful. I found a way out of the buffet challenge...I told my kids if we just bought subs and roll ups (much cheaper) at W-M and ate in the park I would spend the extra money taking them to Wall-E tomorrow. They took the offer. It was nice eating by the lake and I easily ate within my calorie range. If nothing else we must be creative to stay in this game over the long haul.
Hope you're all having a great weekend.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/212/160

The subs are a much better deal than Chinese and your kids made a good choice, my daughter loved Wall-E.

Yes, the avatar is mine, thank-you, and thanks for the welcome
Old 08-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #10  
One pound at a time.

Lovn I meant our town homecoming. The high school one is not until later in the year. Poms has started their practising already.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #11  

clyde, so is that like a celebration of when the town was founded or something? Sounds like fun. Our little town has their annual Party in the Parkway coming up next weekend, but DH is finally taking a couple days off and we're heading for 6 Flags. It's going to be as relaxing as that possibly can. We're driving just over the IL border and staying with my niece and her family...cook out, a couple glasses of wine, play some ball, kids will sleep in a tent...then off to 6 Flags and then a stay with my friends FIL for pretty much the same thing...and then back to 6 Flags the next day. We're taking 6 children ages 8-14 so we shouldn't really have to do much once we're at the park. Us adults can chill or ride whatever we want.

I'm starting today with Sunday school. My lesson plan is pretty simple today..popcorn and a "Veggie Tale" movie. I know l-a-z-y, but it is the lazy days of summer. I'm planning to walk 5 miles and then take the kids to the movie. It should be a good day.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 222/204/150

I am excited to get some tips from all of you. I love receipes and any information anyone might have to help win this battle. I know it will not be easy however, some of you have reached your goals and hopefully you can share what helped you to get there. Sometime more than lettuce !! lol
I have a friend that just lost 35 pounds and did it by really increasing her veggies and she filled up on them and claims it wasn't bad at all. She would grill all kinds of veggies and use a small bit of olive oil and make wraps, add a small amount of wheat pasta, she would mix in chicken and at times fish and she did not feel deprived one bit. So I am taking her lead and hopefully I will find as much success.
Good Luck to ALL !
Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #13  
One pound at a time.

Hi Suzzyy and welcome to the 40's chat. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 201/201/145

Height: 5ft 6in

Good Morning to All!
I am new here and find it very motivational that all of you over
40's have done so well! I am 44 and have been tring to either lose
weight or not gain it for most of my adult life. I have never tried
journalling and would like to try it-what exactly do you do?
Have you found that it helps? I would welcome any advice.
Thanks!!
Old 08-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #15  
One pound at a time.

Hi davidsmom. Welcome aboard.

I have journaled in the past and found it helps a lot. When I was going to WW I always kept track of everything I ate. It definetly makes you think what you are eating when you are writing everything down that goes in your mouth. Many people on here use fitday.com with a lot of success.

Note to self maybe you should start journaling again

Lovn our homecoming is a three day celebration of everything in our town. There is a huge parade 2 of the days. Lots of tractors and everything agriculture. Food, carnival rides you name it. Thousands of people come from all around.
Closed Thread