Old 02-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #1  
Im a work in progress!!

Default Exersize on low carb

Do any of you who do low carb exersize daily? Im not talking about hitting the gym 2 hours a day, maybe just a couple of miles of walk/jog?? And does it effect you since youre not taking in alot of carbs??
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

I do Atkins (for the most part), and I work out about 4 days per week. I actually have alot of energy doing this low carb thing. Also, I'm seeing much faster results versus not working out. Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

I interval walk the treadmill for 25 minutes 4 days a week when I carpool to work. My highest interval level is a 4.5 run for 1 minute. I am working my way up to interval running the entire 25 minutes. When I don't carpool, I get in about 1/2 mile walking to and from the buses. I don't do strength training yet because I have a high percentage of muscle already and I eat enough protein so I'm not losing muscle with this diet.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 262/165/160

Height: 5'9"

I ride my stationary bike 10 miles a day (30 min.) I try to do this every day. I mostly do it to burn some energy. I find since I lost the weight there is now energy to spare.
michelle204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #5  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Just to talk about having energy while exercising, the answer is yes! On a Very Low Carb Diet (or a Low Carb, High Fat diet), a person is in the state of ketosis. Ketosis is a state where the body has no glucose (carbs) to burn for fuel, so the body switches to using fat for fuel. For that reason, to keep energy up on a VLC diet, many of us eat 40-60% of calories from fat!

Many scientific types also believe that in a ketogenic state the body more easily recognizes stored fat for energy as well. Even if that isn't the case, high in fat and protein and low in carbs means that someone on a diet like this usually doesn't have hunger spikes throughout the day.

I personally have found absolutely no problems with exercising intensely 3-5 days a week, including lifting heavy weights, taking cardio kickboxing classes or doing interval sprints on an elliptical, outside or on a stationary bike
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:37 AM   #6  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Hi! Ive been doing low-carb/higher fat for the last 6 weeks or so. I haven't been working out (I've been working on finals) but I plan to resume working out this coming week and I'm happy to read your post! I've lost some weight kind of effortlessly on this diet even without exercise, so i'm excited and anxious to see what will happen once I DO workout. And my mood/hunger has NEVER been so stable in my life... I haven't had the urge to binge since I started this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Just to talk about having energy while exercising, the answer is yes! On a Very Low Carb Diet (or a Low Carb, High Fat diet), a person is in the state of ketosis. Ketosis is a state where the body has no glucose (carbs) to burn for fuel, so the body switches to using fat for fuel. For that reason, to keep energy up on a VLC diet, many of us eat 40-60% of calories from fat!

Many scientific types also believe that in a ketogenic state the body more easily recognizes stored fat for energy as well. Even if that isn't the case, high in fat and protein and low in carbs means that someone on a diet like this usually doesn't have hunger spikes throughout the day.

I personally have found absolutely no problems with exercising intensely 3-5 days a week, including lifting heavy weights, taking cardio kickboxing classes or doing interval sprints on an elliptical, outside or on a stationary bike
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

I'm 40 and seriously out of shape. Only started low carb and exercise combined 6 weeks ago but is going well.

30 minutes on treadmill 6 days a week (random hills from 1.5 to 7.8, 3.5 speed) and have just added 15 minutes on elliptical (flat low speed), as well as abdominal (machine) and glute (machine), 3 reps 10 each low weight. So, spending about an hour a day in the gym 6 days a week.

I don't think it's too much time to spend toward getting myself healthy and fit.

Last edited by snapless; 06-09-2008 at 12:35 AM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/188/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

yeah, snapless that does look like a good schedule. I do Pilates twice a week for 90 minutes, and use a rowing machine at the gym for 60 minutes three times a week. That averages out at 5 hours week. I think I might try and add another hour. You've inspired me! RubyJan
RubyJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I do more south beach than atkins.. but I do watch my carbs as I am so used to doing ot (I lost my first 30 pounds on atkins) I go to the gym 6 days a week 2 hours a day and I never have a problem with energy.. Sometimes I might not wanna go but I get my butt in gear and go
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #10  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Cool Next week...Exercize

I've given myself the two weeks of Induction to sit on it. I've been very tired; everything's an effort because I haven't exercized regularly in a three or four years...mortifying! As of Monday, I'm going to begin by walking 30 minutes every day (two or three of them with my NEW PERSONAL TRAINER using hand-held weights). I tried to explain to her that if I'm walking any time, I'm carrying lots of weight. She isn't buying it.

And we'll being using a gym for work with weights and equipment twice a week, maybe three times. This is a huge challenge for me. And, like almost everywhere right now, it's hot! Fat girls do not like to be hot. The Carolina coast is in the mid to high nineties every day with equal humidity - we're easily over 100 degrees with the heat index every day. That'll only last for about another 4 or 5 weeks, and then it'll get more reasonable.

I like Yoga. I'd like to pick it up a couple of times a week or develop a simple daily routine. What do you guys think?
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyfanny View Post
I like Yoga. I'd like to pick it up a couple of times a week or develop a simple daily routine. What do you guys think?
That's what I do on my 'day off' (Sunday) from alternating strength training 3 days a week and cardio training 3 days a week. I find it to be not only mentally relaxing but the stretching and posing seems to also help me with the strength and the cardio training I do the rest of the week.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 184/175.5/155

Height: 6'2"

OK, here's my deal....I am a long distance runner. I run 10+ miles on the weekends and 4-7 miles 4 days a week (all outside in all weather...no gym membership or treadmill). Since going LC I am extremely tired. When I run I don't know how to describe it but I can literally feel my body taking energy from my muscles. My arms and quads have a very weird sensation in them and as soon as I'm done with a run I do a ketosis strip and its in the darkest shade you can get. So what i've been doing is eating a very complex carbohydrate an hour before running. I generally do a packet of Kashi's oatmeal. It gives me enough glycogen stores to get through my long run, benefit from the exercise and still put me back into a state of ketosis within 2-3 hours. This is called a Targeted Ketogenic Diet (or TKD). You can find out more by googling it.
RunnerKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #13  
19Deltawifey

Kim I am the same way. When I ran with hardly any carbs in my system I felt like I was going to fall over at any moment, I just felt like at any minute I was going to collapse or faint. I don't run as much as Kim but I run about 15 miles a week and with low carb it was impossible for me to keep up my stamina. So I added carbs before and during my workout and some carbs after and for the rest of the day I eat maybe 8 carbs. I am also on the TKD. I am back in ketosis within 3 hours or less after I workout.

CountryGirl18-this is one of those things where you are gonna have to test it out and see how you feel. I lost motivation to workout when my carbs were really low because I just did not have the endurance or strength to run like I was doing for the longest time but just like others you might feel perfectly fine. Just listen to your body and see how you feel after you workout. For me I know that if I wasn't running I would be able to do my workout with barely any carbs. But running and having your heart rate at 165+ for 30 minutes or more you will probably need some carbs. Good Luck
Old 01-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #14  
Going on a cruise w NKOTB

Height: 5'3"

Default Movin' toward cruisin' with NKOTB!!

I have been on Atkins, which is as strict as they come regarding carbs, for a week today. I went to Curves three times last week. When I got home, I was exhausted, but a "good exhausted." My ketosis must have really kicked in over the weekend, because I have so much energy I can't sleep. Best wishes!
NickiChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 261/237/200

Height: 5'3"

i've been low carbing it for the past two months. Lately, I've started working out and I'm unreasonably exhausted. It's a scary feeling to me, and I hate it. I think I'm gonna do some research and come up with another diet plan.
ale2121 is offline   Reply With Quote