Old 07-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #1  
Getting a new Image

S/C/G: 230/225/160

Height: 5'8

Default Anyone have major

weight loss doing belly dancing?

Im interested in it! But dont wanna invest in it if it doesnt do alot in the weight loss dept!
*~marie~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Looking at FitDay - belly dancing should burn the same number of calories per min. that walking fast (between 3.5 and 4 mph) would. Like any exercise, what you put into it will depend on how many calories are burned. However, if it's something fun, that you will do, then it's probably worth it. The best exercise is something that you enjoy - because it means that you'll keep doing it.

I was going to say that in the end, what you eat is even more important. So watching your diet is a given as well.

Last edited by RealCdn; 07-13-2008 at 06:15 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:28 AM   #3  
Getting a new Image

S/C/G: 230/225/160

Height: 5'8

thank you

im curious if anyone has lost much by doing it!
*~marie~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Honestly if it's something you think you'd enjoy doing, then DO IT. Don't obsess over "wasting time" if it doesn't cause you to drop a ton of weight.

First of all, any exercise you get is good for you.
Second of all, it's a new physical skill you'd be learning which is always good.
Third of all, it looks like a helluva lot of fun!

So go learn. The worst that could happen is what? You decide you don't like it so much and you move on. But you could wind up loving it and finding it a lot of fun, regardless of whether or not it burns up the calories. At least it's not adding them on.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #5  
Mommy On A Mission

S/C/G: 180/172/130

Height: 5'2"

I just read u're post and thought I'd put my 2 cents in. I just got a belly dancing video in a couple days ago and I love it, really gets me moving my goal spots, which r my abs, hips, butt, and thighs. I got an absolute beginners video but the instructor breaks down the moves and gives u a good stretch before and after. It made me sore the 1st day but I just got a good stretch in and did it again the next day. A big plus was my hubby's reaction to the new moves i learnedI say go for it! I'll let u know how much I lose with it next Wednesday when I weigh and measure.

Last edited by Butterfly25; 07-24-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Butterfly25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:15 AM   #6  
Starting Again ... Again

Height: 5' 4.5" or so

I love that I noticed this thread! I took my 2 year old son down to our city's Arts & Crafts Festival this afternoon and we stopped and spent a good amount of time watching some belly dancers (he's a huge flirt and one of them was flirting right back at him which made it even more enjoyable). Ever since I've been debating grabbing a dvd to try myself. I'd be real interested in knowing exactly which beginner's dvd you have, Butterfly, since there are so many out there.
whoopseedaisee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #7  
Mommy On A Mission

S/C/G: 180/172/130

Height: 5'2"

Hiya Karen, I got the Belly Dance Workout- Perfect Hips by Michelle Joyce and I got it on Amazon. I have used it 3 times and I'm still sore after using it but it stretches muscles I haven't used in years lol. Hope you enjoy it. There is also an advanced section on the video which I haven't use yet but seems like it will help alot. My 6 year old twins love to try and do the workout too lol and really enjoy the dance at the very end of the video.
Butterfly25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hey all.

I have been belly dancing for years. I started out taking a beginner class and supplementing it with dvds, and then went on to join a dance company and traveling-taking seminars many of the world's top dancers. From there, I ended up teaching my own classes, and now I direct my own dance troupe, and perform on a regular basis.

As far as dvds are concerned-if you are ONLY doing it for exercise, then doing whatever dvd you want is just fine, as long as you are moving. On the other hand, if you actually care about proper instruction and want to learn it correctly, I recommend HIGHLY taking an actual class. If you don't have mirrors in your house behind your tv, it is hard to see if you are actually doing the movements correctly, and an instructor will make sure that you are using proper form. There are also many other things that an instructor can teach you about belly dancing that a dvd cannot.

As far as dvds, there are SOOO many out there, if you don't know what you are looking for, it is hard to choose. Here are some that I recommend for beginners, especially those doing it at home:

~Bellydance Fitness For Beginners (Veena & Neena) Basic Moves
~Discover Bellydance (Veena & Neena) Basic Dance
~Perfect Hips-Michelle Joyce
~Body By Bellydance-Michelle Joyce
~Amira's Belly Dance 101

Now, I recommended two of Michelle Joyce's dvds...but I wanted to note that some of her dvds are not meant for the general public, they are meant for professionals. So, I do not recommend that you purchase Pop, Lock, and Shimmy...or Drills!Drills!Drills!, or Secrets Of The Stage series, because if you are doing this only at home, you are going to be EXREMELY lost when she jumps into advanced moves playing finger cymbals.

Another series that I HIGHLY recommend is the Private Lesson series by Ruby Jazayre. You can order it directly from her website. It is a 3 part series that has a posturing section, upper body section, and lower body section. Ruby is a phenominal performer, and a wonderful teacher.

As far as the body, and what it can do for your body, basically, I want to know what you are trying to achieve. Belly dancing is going to be like anything else-a Pilates system, a treadmill, or whatever. If you USE it/DO it, you are going to get results, if you don't...then you won't. You will get out of it what you put into it.

Belly dancing is a wonderful exercise form, and it provides both cardio benefits, and toning/strength benefits. I also do strength training, yoga, and walking...and I have found that belly dancing does things for me that other exercises do not. For one, I have noticed that when I do strength training exercises for my back, that I get my upper back a lot. When I do yoga or Pilates, I get my lower back a lot. When I belly dance, I feel it more in that area inbetween...right around where your bra band sits.

I also feel that I get a much more well rounded abdominal workout that crunches can give me...my upper and lower abs are worked, and my obliques are HIGHLY worked.

My thighs and calves are very strong...as are my shoulders. I also have more grace and musical rhythm. My butt and hips are definitely still round...but I could crack a walnut with my cheeks.

Also, your diet is going to play a part as well. There are belly dancers of all shapes and sizes. If you only dance 2 times a week, and don't watch your diet, then don't expect too much weight loss/transformation. However, if you are eating to lose weight, and you exercise 5-6 days a week, you are going to get much better results.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~marie~* View Post
weight loss doing belly dancing?

Im interested in it! But dont wanna invest in it if it doesnt do alot in the weight loss dept!
Hi! Aphil has given you great advice. I think the answer to your question re: weight loss doing bellydance depends on a LOT. I've been taking lessons for 4 years and really only feel like it's a workout when we're learning a new choreography and dancing a lot or when we're drilling leg movements or traveling steps. A lot of time in my classes are spent on warming up and stretching or learning new steps. In that case, you might not be moving a lot or doing a bunch of sweating. Bellydance has still done amazing things for my body that no other exercise touches - well maybe yoga, but not in quite the same way. My core and lower back are very strong and so are my obliques and butt!

That all said, even if it did nothing for strengthening my body or weight loss, I would still do it because it makes me feel beautiful, femine and sexy no matter what size I am, and that says a lot when my first performance was done while 5 months pregnant and over 200lbs! Outside of class, I have some areas of my body that really BUG, but in class or while dancing, I see those parts as beautiful and maybe even a necessity for looking womanly and having the right parts jiggle.
webcreatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I also wanted to stress, that after dancing for 3 or 4 years, you might not feel like some of the movements "burn" quite as much when you do them...and you might not feel like you are getting as much of a workout, because you are used to certain parts of the activity.

I would liken it to a mailman on a walking route. Doing their route isn't nearly as hard after 2 years, as it was that first week-but they are STILL getting a good workout.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote