Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

Default Uneven Distribution of Weight - Mini Muffin Top

So far, I've done great losing my weight. I only have 13 pounds to go to meet goal. My face looks thinner. I'm down to one chin. While I'm not Hollywood toned, I'm happy with my arms and legs. Along the sides, I have no muffin top. It seems that what remains is a tummy pooch which isn't too bad. I could even live with it. (I have no aspirations to perfection!) But, I also have this annoying little muffin top in front. It isn't continuous with the tummy pooch. I have a "waist" of sorts in between. I think I can blame the kids for it. It's about half the width of my front and sticks out maybe in inch or more. It looks terrible, especially now that I'm wearing more tucked in shirts. Will tummy crunches target this guy? If so, do I need to do 5,000 a day? If not, what can I do?
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #2  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

LOL, I know exactly what you mean! Yeah, I'm guessing crunches would help.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #3  

I know just what you mean--even though I am far from being at goal weight. I don't remember ever having such a pronounced "muffin top" before my 2nd pregnancy but it's stayed w/me since then. I could use some answers on this, too. I am not sure I am up for all those crunches?!
RLK2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I think you would be happier with some overall strength training, with a concentration on your core. I am going to start pilates classes once I get down to 145 pounds. I bet you look terrific though!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

So, strength training = weights? What are my options without a gym membership or room-sized equipment? It's hard for me to get to the gym. And, even when I paid for membership, I used it for their pool only. I do love to do things outdoors, but that doesn't work in the winter!
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 130/125/115

Height: 5'1

I think I saw a thread somewhere in the fitness forum about how gym equipment actually isn't ideal... but anyway, strength training absolutely does not have to involve a gym. You can buy a set of free weights (even Target has some -- it's a bar with changeable weights between 5 lbs and 20 or 25... I saw a bowflex set that was onsale some months ago at Sears that went up even higher) or get resistance bands. I'm totally out of shape now, but back in the day, I went to a personal trainer who specialized in teaching people how to exercise without gym equipment, so all of our exercises were with the resistance bands. You can do bicep curls, shoulder lifts, rowing (requires chair and a thing for the band that you shove in the door)... pretty much everything you need. One of those exercise balls for abs, maybe, but there are plenty of ab exercises you can do without one.
fatfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I am not in a place where I can utilize a gym, moneywise and kidwise. I bought an exercise DVD called Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred. I love it. I started losing inches after about a week of doing this DVD. There are a few threads that talk about it under Fitness Videos. I carefully researched this one. It has three levels. Level 1 is hard though, don't kid yourself. I thought I could skip 1 and go straight to 2 since I feel like I am a very athletic person. It is nothing to do with athleticism. It will help you remember muscles you probably forgot you had. It only lasts 26 minutes. I got mine for 12 bucks. I bought a set of 3 pound weights and 5 pound weights. I have moved up to 8 pound weights. Maybe you might like this video!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 162/143/137

Height: 5'5"

The FIRM has programs that do both cardio and strength training. The current version uses a DVD and free weights and you can order from their web site. An older version uses a "fanny lifter" (step), free weights and DVD. I don't think you can buy that off their web site - but I actually picked that up from Ulta Salon not that long ago. Both programs are excellent, but I think their older programs are better. Lots of variety and they'll whip you into shape in no time!
itsnotme is offline   Reply With Quote