Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 04:47 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #177

Clover

ip
07-12-2002 01:42 PM profile | pm | | find | buddy list edit | quote

Well!!!! The site FINALLY let me it. It did it with my OLD user name and password. When I came back last time (a couple of months ago) I had to completely sign up again. Now THAT login doesn't work, but this one does!! Oh well!!

July 9th was our anniversary (#36) and we went over to the ocean...mainly to get cool!! We have had 4 days of 100+ heat here...on Wednesday it was 107! That is even hot for us!! We took our "granddog" with us to cool her off too. It is always quite an adventure when we take Hil any place...she is a gentle giant with people, but does INSIST on being the Alpha dog with other dogs. We are trying to get her used to being around other dogs, but it is a slow process. We usually just find a secluded part of the beach and let her be Alpha dog by herself!!

Today, it has dropped back into the low 90's but you can "feel" the ocean in the breeze.

I didn't go back and catch up with the thread, so if anyone asked me anything in particular...please ask again.

I'm very glad for the weight "losers" and empathetic toward the "maintainers" and "gainers". I will not weigh myself until the day we leave for Alaska (Aug 23) but I can tell you this...the GREEN pants are being worn! This swimming 7 days a week is really making a difference! Not too hard to do in 100+ heat!

So Flowers...I wish you all a great week end!!
Jackie
Old 07-12-2002, 06:25 PM   #2  

Hi Everyone.....

How is everyone doing? We have rain again.....I can't believe how this summer has been going. It hasn't been as hot as it usually is, and we are having more rain than I have ever seen in a July in Texas. Hopefully what we are having now stays away from the flooded area south of us.

Maggie: Way to go on the weight loss. I am so proud of you.

Gloria: Hope you have a good time at the Cape. I miss the N.E. this time of the year. I grew up on the beaches and where I am right now...there are only lakes.

Jean: How are you doing? I have been watching my neighbor and I think she knows, because all has been well with the cats lately.

Well, I need to get some more work done around the house. I am going to beat my school deadline.. I am crossing my fingers...

Hope everyone has a great night.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:07 AM   #3  

Hi Lorraine,
How about I send you some of our heat and you send me some of your rain? After 4 days of 100+ heat...I'm ready for some rain...so are the poor plants!
Enjoy your weekend.
Jackie
Old 07-13-2002, 05:31 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
The sun is out, a gentle breeze is blowing around cottonwood fuzzies (looks kind of like snow if you use your imagination ), and it is COOL! I just got home from a shopping trip with my favorite daughter-in-law. Penneys had a great sale so we went baby shopping! I held out for 6 month sizes because Jason and Amanda are both tall so I'm assuming they will have a long baby. Then we went stroller-car seat shopping and found one that she thought would fit the bill. Now all we need is a baby to put in it!

Bubs -- I'm glad your dog is safe! I was almost afraid to read the "rest of the story"! I love the cooler weather -- I could live with this all year if we could have a little snow at Christmas time.

Jackie -- Happy Anniversary! Do you ever wonder where all of the years went? We will celebrate #35 in September. That's a long time to spend with one person! I picked a keeper and it sounds like you did too! Thanks for the new thread and CONGRATULATIONS on the green pants!

Lorraine -- I'm glad to hear your neighbor is behaving herself. Our latest 4 kittens are still so wild! They love to play tag over and under the deck -- makes our inside cats crazy watching them. When do you have to go back to school?

I need to get busy on the laundry since I've played all day! Have a super Sunday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-14-2002, 01:54 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is once again an absolutely beautiful day in my neighborhood. We have been to church and DH just left to spend some time with his mom. I opted to stay home and finish up some laundry. I may even iron a week's worth of shirts this afternoon.

I hope you are all enjoying a relaxing afternoon and the same nice weather that I am. Talk to you later.

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-14-2002, 05:33 PM   #6  

Hi Everyone

How is everyone doing? Well today we finally have a day without rain.... The temps are still really nice too. We still are only in the 80's.

Jean: The kids go back to school August 19th, but I have to be back to school on the 12th. It will be here before I know it. I have all of my kids school clothes brought. I did that about 2 weeks ago. I figured I wanted to get them clothes that they could wear in August not something that would be worn in Dec.... The winter clothes are in the stores already.

Jackie: Did you get any relief from the heat yet? I hope so.

Well, I am going to get back to work. I still have a deadline to beat....
Old 07-14-2002, 06:48 PM   #7  

Sheesh, Lorraine! I thought we were early going back this year. I start on the 15th and the kids come the 21st. Iowa law says we have to have 180 contact days. I just know that there are 180 days between Labor Day and Memorial Day! We even used to have built in snow days that we didn't have to make up. GRRR!
Old 07-15-2002, 12:33 AM   #8  

Hi Flowers,

Jean and Lorraine,
The 180 day thing must be a nationwide push. Our teachers start the middle of Aug. , but only have one prep day in the classroom before the kids come...........isn't that a kick in the teeth. What they're banking on, and what happens is, everyone goes in early on their own time to prepare for the kids. They've finally shortened our Thanksgiving break.........we've always had the week of Thanksgiving, because that's when deer season starts, and there's not a male student over 10, or a male teacher or bus driver. It costs the state/county a bloomin' fortune in sub pay. This year we only get Thurs. and Fri..........It will be interesting to see what the attendance is like. Have youall started the "no child left behind" program yet? The folks in the Ivory Towers are expecting yet another miracle I can't tell you how glad I am not to be in the classroom anymore. I foresee reg. ed teachers having to do IEPs or something similar for all students, and that will be impossible. They need to decide whether we're going to teach or do paperwork, but we can't do both effectively. Let me off that soapbox!
Our cool weather honeymoon is due to end tomorrow It was nice while it lasted. All the rain has put some water in the river, which is great.........I hate when it gets that brown color at the end of the summer when it's low and there's hardly any current.
Watched some of the Tour de France today..........my rationalization being that I'm getting a geography lesson on France in the process. They're riding through some gorgeous country! They were near Mt. St. Michel yesterday............what a gorgeous abbey. We think our 200 year old buildings are a big deal.........we don't know nuthin' Everything's relative, I guess. The stuff they're throwing up now, probably won't be around in 50 years, much less 200.

Have a great Monday. I'm anxious to get back in the water.
Bubs
Old 07-15-2002, 09:57 AM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers!
It's a brand new day starting a brand new OP week! The sun is out and it is still cool in my corner of the world. According to the weatherman (and what does he know?) we are to be back in the 90s this week. Better this week than Aug. 21st!

Bubs -- What is the "no child left behind" program? We (local)have finally mandated that if 8th graders do not pass a core subject they have to retake it or else go to summer school. Because of our immigrant population our local system is just crazy - nuts. If they need both special ed. and ESL, too bad they can't have both programs. Usually what happens is that they get dumped into special ed. and we struggle with the language. Before a student turns 16, we can have the police go and get them if they are skipping school. Once they turn 16, they can drop out but most of them are in trouble with the law and the court says they have to be in school. I worked with a gang wannabe last year; for some reason we got along and I could get him to work on most days. He has a brother in prison and another brother who can't return to the state of Iowa or he will be arrested. There is no dad in the picture. What really blows my mind is this kid gets up early enough to iron his clothes before he comes to school and he is very picky about his clothes and school supplies, has neat handwriting, and when he does turn in work it is usually at least 90% correct. He just hates school, any authority, and will turn 16 this summer so I will be surprised if he is back in the fall. He does have potential if he would learn how to control his temper. I told him I would take him home with me but he wouldn't like the house rules. He didn't know whether to believe me or not. If the government would butt out and let the teachers teach -- I'd like to know who reads the IEPs anyhow. Most of the parents wouldn't understand them if they did read 'em!

Now that I've had my turn on the soapbox, I need to get busy! Have a GREAT day Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-15-2002, 03:52 PM   #10  
I will do it this time

Hi!

I just wanted to let you know that I have not disappeared. I am still on total overload at work. I printed out the last thread, so hopefully I will catch up at some point. I hope you are all doing well. We are doing okay. The heat isn't as bad. It is only in the 90's today. Take care!!
Old 07-15-2002, 04:05 PM   #11  

Hi Sharon! It's nice to see you peeking in! I think all of the forums are quiet -- seems like everyone is busy or on vacation. We've had five beautiful days . . . sunny and in the 70s with rain at night. I could get used to this weather all year around, I think! It is warming up again and supposed to be in the 90s the rest of the week. I don't have anything planned so I don't really care as long as I can walk in the morning.

Have a nice "rest of the afternoon!"
Old 07-15-2002, 08:21 PM   #12  

Hi Everyone...

Another afternoon of rain and temps in the low 80's....I can take this the rest of the summer. We usually have temps in the 100's and I much prefer to have the 80's.

Jean: We have the same program as you do. Either a child is in ESL or special Ed. The only difference is that they have to start in ESL before they can qualify for Special Ed. We have officers going to the houses if they miss too many days...I was on that committee.. Made me really sad to hear of the home life some of these kids have to deal with.

Bubs: We get off the whole week of Thanksgiving. Then we have two weeks off at Christmas. We don't get any time off in February for a winter break, but get a spring break in March. I like the week off at Thanksgiving...I agree with all the men going hunting..that is the way it is down here too.

Sharon: Good to see you.

Well I need to get more things done around the house. It is starting to come together and I am very glad about that. I hope everyone has a great night.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:39 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Unhappy Weigh Day

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Looks like everyone has been busy! It has cooled down a bit here also - in the low 90's and high 80's. I knew I would show my first gain of the year and it did happen today but it is only tempory and I am not going to stress about it. Went to the denitst and since it was the first time since we have been back in this state it was the whole shootin' match. Next is the cleaning which I totally look forward to on the middle of next month. I have an early doc appointment tomorrow and will be through with him for a few months after all the tests are in. Every year.

Have a great evening FLOWERS
Old 07-15-2002, 08:56 PM   #14  

Hi Flowers,
Gosh...school talk already!!! Here in CA most of the schools start back sometime during the last week of Aug. Boy...I can remember when I FIRST started teaching...we didn't go back until after Sept 9th...Admission Day. Then it moved up to the day after Labor Day and finally it moved to Aug. We have the 180 day thing too...we have the Special Ed / ESL problem too. A couple of years ago they completely did away with the Compensatory Ed program. Looks like school districts nationwide are on the same page...too bad they are in the wrong book!! The greatest thing about retirement, is I don't have to fret about this stuff anymore!!

Our weather has returned to "normal" thank goodness!! But the weatherman says it is headed back up later this week.

I've missed swimming a couple of day now...had a 24 hour flu thing...but I'm feeling better now. I think I'll start again in the morning.

JEAN: It's those angry kids that used to worry me the most. You want so much to help them...but they need way more than just good teachers, and if your district is like ours...getting a kid any kind of psychological help (REAL help...not just someone to "talk" to) is next to impossible.

Well Flowers...my sister is over in our neighborhood on business and she is going to stop by here for the night...better go change those guest room sheets!!

Jackie AKA Clover (depending on which one lets me in!!)
Old 07-16-2002, 10:13 AM   #15  

Good Morning, Flowers!
The sun is out and it was a beautiful morning to walk "early." The heat is settling in and it is supposed to be in the 90s this afternoon.

Lorraine -- We only get Thur. and Fri. off for Thanksgiving. We do get out at 2:30 on Wed. though...a whole hour early! It's too bad they won't let the teachers run the schools!

Maggie -- Looks like you and I are doing the same yearly tune ups! I'm waiting for new lenses for my reading glasses then I will have clean teeth, a body check over, and sharper eyes! I know your gain will be gone by next week . . . I'll bet it was the pickles and less water that showed up on the iron monster.

Jackie -- Hope you are feeling back to normal by now. I just hate being sick in the summer! I thought sure that one of us would come down with a cold just because of being in and out of air conditioning. Knock on wood, so far we've avoided that. Enjoy your visit with your sister. I really don't think that I have to be afraid of my "special" student and I'm 100% convinced that he would stand by me if I ever got into a trouble type situation, with his peers, outside of school. I can see the anger coming and usually just back off until he cools down. So far he's never done anything to any teacher but he has shoved a couple of kids claiming that they started it. No one saw the confrontation so who knows......both kids ended up with suspensions.

Well, I need to get busy. Have a super - duper day, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Closed Thread