South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #1  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default those black bean brownies

so if I make those do they count for beans, a snack, dessert or what? I want to make them but at this point I feel like i might eat the whole pan. - NOW I am having cravings?? (on week 2)
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #2  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

I am not sure but I would think it would be a dessert because of the cocoa and splenda etc.....but I am not sure......I would like it to be considered a bean serving but I think I am going to be wrong there lol....
greeneyes490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

thin4good, I don't think they need to be counted as anything. Now this is just my opinion, but there is nothing in them that needs to be limited, except the milk and the artificial sweetener if you use it. If you use agave, you want to be careful not to consume too much of that too, so you don't want to eat the whole pan.

Now, there is a can of beans in a pan of brownies and I cut mine into 8 pieces. 1/8 of a can of beans is less than 1/4 cup of beans, so I don't worry about that. One cup of dry milk would make up 3 cups of liquid milk, so one brownie would give you 3/8 of a cup serving of dairy.
The sweet treat limitation I don't apply to these brownies. It's intended to prevent stomach upset as I understand it, and if you were consuming more than 100 calories/day of sugar-free jello or candy, I am sure that would be an issue. I just don't use that much artificial sweetener (don't drink diet soda or drink mixes, just my daily latte and a fudgesicle).
In the end I just decided that's all too complicated to worry about, and the beauty of SB is not having to count calories, weigh things, etc., and I don't want to make it harder than it needs to be (something I tend to do). So, my advice is to have a brownie (or two), and not worry about it.
These are a great dessert or snack, because of all the protein and fiber they are very filling and satisfying and have a great chocolate kick. I don't think you will be in danger of eating the whole pan. I never have, and I could definitely eat half a pan of regular brownies in the old days!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #4  
Shooting for the moon

thank you both!

I am following the recipe that is not stickied since I actually have those ingredients on hand (and it is fairly simple I think). It is the first one on the regular thread.

I am a little unclear about the measurement of "sweetener" - is that for the granulated splenda or am I supposed to pour out the packets and measure that?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #5  

I think that's for granulated splenda, but I'm sure you could use packets too, if you want to. Not sure how many you would need, but I'd think a couple per brownie would do it, so maybe like 16?
If you aren't crazy about them, try the stickied one. Kara did a great job perfecting the recipe.

If you are doing the other recipe, then I want to change my original answer, you'll want to count the oil in your fat servings for the day, as that IS something that should be limited.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 07-30-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #6  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

I am sooo curious about trying these brownies. I am not sure about the whole bean thing, though. How many of you have tried them and found them to be really delicious?

I would love to try them, and I probably will soon.

Thin4good, please post after you try them and let me know how they were.

Actually, they sound pretty good for you, the beans and even the cocoa! Cocoa is full of great antioxidants. It's just so odd sounding (bean brownies) that it makes me want to give it a try.

Question: has anyone made these without the use of a food processor? I don't have one. Could it just be mashed into a paste with vigorous handwork?
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #7  
Shooting for the moon

Thanks for the quick reply Schmoodle! - I have both on hand so I will use the granulated.

Melanie- I don't mind if it is a little "beany" so that is one reason I am going to go ahead and make them the simpler way. It looks like the stickied recipe would hide that taste a little better although I can't be sure since I haven't had either. :P I am making mine in a mixer b.c that is all I have ATM but i will definitely post after they are done and I have tried them!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #8  
Healthy mommy

A mixer, good idea, my mom has one. I could borrow that...

Can't wait til you post back with the results, I am dying to know how it turns out.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 245/233/150

Height: 5' 3.5"

Where do you find agave nectar? I haven't heard of that before...is it usually in the regular grocery store?
erikalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #10  

They don't taste at all like beans. You wouldn't guess there were beans in there if you didn't know it. You just rinse the beans well first. Also, I don't know if I would like them "lumpy". I don't use a food processor, just do mine in the blender. You might be able to get the batter smooth with a mixer if you mix it long enough.
I posted under the stickied recipe how I accidentally added water to mine this week. I also used for sweetener some sugar free gingerbread syrup, so it came out like a moist chocolatey gingerbread, so good. With a little Cool Whip on top, I have been enjoying it all week.

The agave nectar is a low glycemic natural sweetener. You can find it at Trader Joe's, health food stores, and some regular grocery stores.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #11  
Shooting for the moon

I like them. I did get it fairly smooth with the mixer but I mixed it on high for several minutes. You can still see that there are beans in mine. - I do like them more warm with some cool whip on top though. DS (6) is eating them too. DD (1) even likes them. Mine are more the consistency of fudge than brownies. If I enjoy them as they are and stop trying to say they are brownies, they taste a lot better to me - if that makes any sense. (Kindof like how Diet Coke tastes nothing like Coke to me but I like it as a drink with it's own unique flavor)

So, now I need to find the ingredients for the other recipe so I can compare. I was also thinking of adapting this one with the instructions on the Splenda package for helping things rise (adding dry non-fat milk and baking powder) .

Thanks for your help!!
Old 07-31-2008, 01:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I've made them and given them to friends; no one knew beans were in them until I told them. They were a hit! I did not like the way they tasted if I reheated them. Fresh out of the oven are good, and so is cold, but reheated ones tasted weird to me....
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin4Good View Post

So, now I need to find the ingredients for the other recipe so I can compare. I was also thinking of adapting this one with the instructions on the Splenda package for helping things rise (adding dry non-fat milk and baking powder) .
I think you'll find Kara's recipe does come out looking and tasting more like the "real" thing.

For a fancy dessert, I like to serve them with a scoop of FF frozen vanilla yogurt and a drizzle of SF chocolate syrup and a drizzle of thinned down SF strawberry jam.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #14  
Healthy mommy

Thin4Good, thanks for posting back about the brownies. I can't wait to try them although I get what you mean about enjoying them for their own unique flavor instead of calling them 'brownies'. That sort of gives me a better idea of what to expect.

I don't know if I want bean pieces in the 'brownie' though, I am not big on beans so I don't want to be reminded it's actually made with beans... heh. My blender is missing the top piece.

I like the idea above, serving it with FF frozen yogurt and SF chocolate syrup.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #15  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Mel My Mom puts a plate on top of her topless blender
KO is offline   Reply With Quote