Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Favorite low calorie salad dressing (that doesn't try to be low cal)

Lately, I'm obsessed with a salad dressing I happened to find. It is soooo good. Let me say this again. soooo good.

If you love ginger and/or asian style salad dressings, you have got to try this. I found it at Costco.

http://www.tontonsauce.com/sauces_ginger.cfm

It has 20 calories per TBSP.

My other favorite salad dressing is generally salsa, which is usually 10 calories per TBSP. I'll also sometimes just put mustard on a salad.

Any unusual/good salad dressings that naturally have low calories without trying?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #2  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

LOVE LOVE LOVE Trader Joe's Cilantro Dressing
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #3  
Changing for the better

Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings are pretty good.....or just good old balsamic vinegar, sometimes mixed w/ a little olive oil! Yum
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #4  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I love basalmic glaze, 5 calories per Tablespoon. I also like balsamic vinegar straight, but the glaze is thicker and a little sweeter.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #5  
here we go

S/C/G: 230/217/140

Height: 5'6

I just bought that ginger dressing on-line. I can't wait to try it
Wesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #6  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Waitaminute....you put mustard on your salads sometimes!? OMG that actually sounds pretty good! That just really struck me! I like what mustard does to my subway sandwiches, with the lettuce and spinach....I've gotta try that one!

I'm pack to making the Good Seasons, in the cruet, using the "lower oil" option, but I don't think that actually cuts down the calories that much.

I used to think "how do you ONLY put 2 tbs of dressing on a salad?" then I caught a tip on the Biggest Loser....while, of course they were advertising Glad bags, put all your salad in one big storage baggie, add the 2 tbs of dressing, seal and shake it all up.....did it and found that I could even make do with ONE tbsp!

I'm generally really fussy about my salad dressings, don't like "creamy" ones, I tend to stick with Italian/oil & vinegary based ones.
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #7  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm gonna keep coming back to this thread. I hate the low cal ones that feel like you're chewing melted plastic. The texture! *shudders* Low cal ranch is the worst.

I tend to like italian dressings.
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I just finished off my first bottle of that tonton ginger sauce -- I love it too! I found that it worked better for me once there was a little room in the bottle so that I could add some water because it is so thick.

I'd been looking for a home version of the kind of dressing the Japanese restaurants serve on their salads. This is the closest one I've found. I hope the farmstand where I bought my first bottle still carries it, but it's nice to know I can get it online.

Last edited by yoyoma; 07-30-2008 at 11:56 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #9  

Newman's Own dressings are just the bomb. I haven't had one of the light flavors that I didn't like yet. I also love the parmensan ranch and the caesar dressing from Trader Joe's
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

That ginger dressing DOES sound good.

I like mixing a little brown mustard, some lemon juice, a touch of honey and some water together. Sometimes I will add fresh crushed garlic.

I also really like plain balsamic vinegar.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
I just finished off my first bottle of that tonton ginger sauce -- I love it too! I found that it worked better for me once there was a little room in the bottle so that I could add some water because it is so thick.

I'd been looking for a home version of the kind of dressing the Japanese restaurants serve on their salads. This is the closest one I've found. I hope the farmstand where I bought my first bottle still carries it, but it's nice to know I can get it online.
I ended up buying 3 large bottles at Costco yesterday.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

I consider myself very fussy about salad dressings. Many of them, both regular and low calorie, seem to have a sort of "chemical" taste. So, having said that, there are several low fat/low cal dressings that I like from Trader Joe's. Parmesan Ranch, Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette, Raspberry, and Balsamic Vinaigrette. These four are presented as low fat/low cal. The parmesan ranch is in the refrigerated section and must be refrigerated at all times.

Another Trader Joe's product that I like is orange muscat champagne vinegar. This is with the vinegar. It has 20 calories per tbs. I use this on fruit, mostly, to perk up the flavor. A little of this on a sort of flat tasting orange or flavorless berries really helps.

Wal-Mart Super center sells a brand called Maple Grove Farms of Vermont. The flavor called Maple Fig is very good and has no fat in it. It doesn't say anything about low/no fat on the lable and is with other flavors that have more calories. I just picked it up because I liked the look of the bottle - I was happily surprised when I read the ingredients.

I have two "Mistos". I have olive oil in one and balsamic vinegar in the other. Sometimes I just spray the salad with oil and vinegar. To me, this tastes remarkably good considering ease of preparation. Of course, you have to go easy on the oil.

My only complaint about any of these dressings is that they tend to be tart. They do not taste like chemicals to me. One solution to the tartness is to spray the salad lightly with olive oil. I use my Misto for this. It seems to me that even this small amount of oil cuts the acid a little.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #13  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

the only lite one i've ever liked is Krafts light done right zesty italian. i use it every time i make a marinated greek salad and everyone loves it. otherwise- i'm more inclined to use full fat versions and use less. can always thin it out a little with some water.

in Oregon we have something called Yumm! sauce from Cafe Yumm! - think thinned out yeasty (in a good way) hummus.... so delish! if you thin it out it makes a good salad dressing too... i'm sure you could use any other dip you normally love that way too.

a good home made mix of grainy mustard, balsamic, honey and olive oil hits the spot most of the time. and trader joes has some really good different vinegars to try too- like champagne vinegar - they make awesome easy dressings.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote