Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Having trouble with South Beach Diet

Hey all...first of all I would like to just say that as of today I have lost my first 20 lbs.

I started this weight loss journey deciding I would just limit calories....so I cut them down to 1500....but ate anything I wanted.....I finally hit a plateau and decided I probably needed to cut back on the carbs.

I decided to try the south beach diet...but would still like to limit my calories to 1500. I don't like spinach! YUCK! I have tried it but can't do it.

I'm have the food list and an idea of how to structure my meals....but are there any carb limitations during phase 1?

I really don't like this diet.....I'm not happy at all...and its affecting my "want" to exercise! I don't know what to do....maybe I should go back to the 1500 calories eating what I want to and just try to cut out some of the carbs I was eating???

I don't know what to do...but I want to continue to lose weight.
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You might want to look at the SBD forum:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=110

If you are doing Phase 1 and have the Phase 1 food list, then limitations should be posted there. I think serving portiions are also listed and although you aren't limited, I think serving sizes are a suggestion, to start with.

If you want to look at an online version of the Phase 1 list, it is posted in a subforum of the SBD forum:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141376

The SBD forum peeps may also be able to help troubleshoot some of your issues on why you don't like the diet. Of course maybe it isn't the diet for you.

Last edited by nelie; 07-30-2008 at 10:38 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #3  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

sounds like if your calorie counting your calories may be to low.

south beach is not for everyone so you do need to find what works for you - good luck in what you decide and remeber theres support here for just about any weight loss situation
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #4  
No description available.

I don't know much about South Beach, but you should not be on an eating plan that you hate.

You know what to do: appropriate portions of healthy foods, including whole grains, fruits, veggies, and lean proteins. Lots of water. Mix up the exercise. Strength train. Cardio. And patience.

How long was your plateau? Were you taking measurements as well?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenziesmomma View Post
I really don't like this diet.....I'm not happy at all
If you aren't liking the "diet"....realistically speaking, its not going to be something you will stick with. It sounds like you are trying to force yourself to do something you really don't want to do and that is never going to work. Successful & permanant weight loss must be a complete lifestyle change...which means a plan you can maintain for the rest of your life. There are many eating plans out there, research them & decide which one is doable for you.

All the best to you!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Your right...I don't like this at all!!! So, I probably won't stick with it...

My main problem is the veggies...I love meat so that isn't a problem...

but I like corn, pinto beans, black eyed peas, breaded okra, white beans...stuff like that...I don't like a whole bunch of veggies...I have checked out the SBD forum here...most of the meals don't look appitizing!

I'm gonna try to stick with it ...the part I don't like is only 2 weeks long! Phase 2 starts to add fruit and stuff....I guess I'm just scared I'm gonna gain weight when I start adding fruit and stuff???

I started my journey on June 24th below are my weekly weights

June 24th - 260
June 30th - 255
July 7th - 249
July 14th - 248 (here was my first plateau...I added a little extra cardio)
July 21st - 243
July 28th - 243 (second plateau....I do cadio and strength training and I mix it up alot so my body doesn't get used to it)

I started the SBD Monday and since then I have lost 3 pounds! I am happy about that

I just want to be able to lose 3 pounds a week at least until January!! This doesn't sound unreasonable to me! Does it sound unreasonable to you guys?
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #7  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Melissa, a loss of 3 pounds a week will be hard to sustain over a long period of time. Most people, even when they eat cleanly and stick to their plan 100% of the time, experience fluctuations in the amount they lose from week to week. That can include a few plateaus, which are very typical for people losing a lot of weight. As many here often say, weight loss is not linear.

I think it's more reasonable to aim for 1-2 pounds a week. That's a pretty healthy rate of weight loss, and is more sustainable over a long period of time than 3 pounds. Also, remember that as you lose more weight, your rate of weight loss will begin to slow down.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by Ija; 07-30-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #8  
Just Me

If you don't like veggies, I have a couple suggestions

1) stick to calorie counting
2) learn to expand your veggie horizons. Honestly, it is very very hard to lose weight and maintain that weight loss without eating at least some veggies.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
I don't know much about South Beach, but you should not be on an eating plan that you hate.

You know what to do: appropriate portions of healthy foods, including whole grains, fruits, veggies, and lean proteins. Lots of water. Mix up the exercise. Strength train. Cardio. And patience.

How long was your plateau? Were you taking measurements as well?

the thing is I agree with you that folks should never do a plan they hate.

I love SBD ya know why?

appropriate portions of healthy food including whole grains, fruits veggies and lean proteins (also good fats)

lots of water
exercise

it's just the same thing in a different wrapper....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenziesmomma View Post
Your right...I don't like this at all!!! So, I probably won't stick with it...

My main problem is the veggies...I love meat so that isn't a problem...

but I like corn, pinto beans, black eyed peas, breaded okra, white beans...stuff like that...I don't like a whole bunch of veggies...I have checked out the SBD forum here...most of the meals don't look appitizing!

I'm gonna try to stick with it ...the part I don't like is only 2 weeks long! Phase 2 starts to add fruit and stuff....I guess I'm just scared I'm gonna gain weight when I start adding fruit and stuff???

I started my journey on June 24th below are my weekly weights

June 24th - 260
June 30th - 255
July 7th - 249
July 14th - 248 (here was my first plateau...I added a little extra cardio)
July 21st - 243
July 28th - 243 (second plateau....I do cadio and strength training and I mix it up alot so my body doesn't get used to it)

I started the SBD Monday and since then I have lost 3 pounds! I am happy about that

I just want to be able to lose 3 pounds a week at least until January!! This doesn't sound unreasonable to me! Does it sound unreasonable to you guys?
beans are fine in phase 1 and two

i have chili today full of beans

you should know that your loss is GREAT

i have plateaus that last weeks and weeks and weeks

in fact this month i will show a gain of a couple of pounds...

3 pounds a week seems a bit high to me 1-2 pounds a week is considered healthy...
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #11  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

Congradulations on the weight loss! I don't really see a plateau there at all. I agree with the ladies here that 1-2 lbs per week is a healthy weight loss rate. 3 lbs per week every week until January is just setting yourself up for disappointment and will be extremely difficult to maintain once the weight is lost.

Like Nessa, I can plateau for weeks at a time also and even show a few lbs gained on the scale. You have to consider water weight, time of month, etc. It seems that when I plateau, that is when people are telling me that I got skinnier.

Just keep in mind that we didn't gain all the extra baggage overnight, so we aren't going to lose it overnight either.
JerseyGirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #12  
Just Me

Oh and I didn't read your first post close enough, 3 lbs/week for a sustained period of time!? wow, I'd love to be able to do that, I'd love to lose 1 lb/week every week but it just doesn't happen all the time.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #13  
Mommy to be!

S/C/G: 168/---/125

Height: 5'4"

yeah, i have not lost a lb this month and I went 3 MONTHS without losing a pound. Going a week without losing isn't really a plateau. You've lost 20 lbs in a month...feel good about your progress and if this plan isn't for you, i'm sure there is one out there that is.
skinnybeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #14  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
the thing is I agree with you that folks should never do a plan they hate.

I love SBD ya know why?

appropriate portions of healthy food including whole grains, fruits veggies and lean proteins (also good fats)

lots of water
exercise

it's just the same thing in a different wrapper....
Oh, definitely. What little I do know about South Beach is that there is a focus on healthy foods.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

If you lose momentum and hit a plateau, you can kick up exercise and delete 100-200 calories. You don't have to go all out South Beach if you are working out hard, most "experts" these days say we need carbs, especially those of us working out! But for a short time, not evening following South Beach you could cut back - do only 1/2 of a bun, or 1 piece of bread on sandwiches. Eat carbs only for breakfast and lunch or dinner, but not both. Better to do carbs (bread, cereal, rice - high quiality) at lunch then dinner so you work them off! Eat lots of veggies, and watch the high glycemmic fruits, etc. There's a lot to be learned from the South Beach diet, it and Atkins did teach us what foods are lowest in sugars so our blood sugar doesn't spike and about foods that don't turn as quickly to fat. From what you are saying, you've been losing weight, maybe you could just cut calories down to 1300 or so and calorie count, watching when and how many carbs you have.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote