Old 07-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

Default Help

Okay I just can't stick to a diet I try and I fail. From my highest I am down about 18lbs which is great but I am 242lbs and I want to be atleast 130lbs that is my goal. I am only 5'0 even I am a shorty. I try to eat healthy but I really don't know what healthy is. I know Light breakfast to eat like cherrios and oatmeal and wheat toast and I know for lunch I could have a wheat sandwich with light turkey and mustard and low fat cheese and fruit but when it comes to dinner I don't know what to eat thats healthy. I don't like Salad so thats out of the question but I just don't know what I should eat at dinner. I am so tired of being overweight in high school I was 140 and though I thought I was still fat then I would give anything to be that weight again and that was only 2 years ago. last year in July I had my first daughter and she was 9lbs 11 ounces at birth so she was a biggin'. But I still have yet to lose this baby weight and it is making me feel so depressed. I am starting college this coming semester and when I graduate in 4 years my fiance by then husband plan on having more children after I graduate but I do not want to get pregnant and be fat already because thats just going to add too it. I already vowed to myself I am not having another baby until I get down to a reasonable weight. If anyone can give me any ideas or encouragement it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kayla
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Kayla - do you have any insurance that would cover a visit to a dietician or nutritionist? This would really be helpful for you.

Also - the USDA has a great site here: http://www.mypyramid.gov/

which can help you learn to make healthy food and portion size choices.

Also - your local library is a great resource for healthy eating.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #3  

Default Help

Yeah I do have insurance I work for Citi Group and I have great Insurance I don't know if it would cover a nutristionist I could look into that. Thats a good idea maybe I will go to the library or book store and see what recipes I can find. What do you usually eat for dinner as a low calorie and healthy dinner?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would also suggest seeing a nutritionist. Are you counting calories?

Have you tried looking at cookbooks in the bookstore or library that focus on healthy meals?

What did you eat normally for dinner? You can often modify things to make them healthier. Adding veggies, decreasing portions of other stuff is a great way to start eating healthier as well.

Last edited by nelie; 07-29-2008 at 01:14 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #5  

Default Dinner

Well Portion is a big thing for me in the past I don't pay much attention to that lately though I have been really trying to listen to my body and eat if I am really truely hungry. At this time we have meals like

last night we had Chicken Stir Fry

or examples are

Speghetti and meat sauce
porck chops a vegatable like usually corn carrots or green beans and a starch and its usually rice a roni or mac and cheese which probably are the worst part.

I try to chose a veggy and starch for each dinner I just don't think I pick the healthiest choices. And meats I never know which is better and less fattening.

Last edited by Kayhm0711; 07-29-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Yes, finding a plan to follow would be a good start. If you can, check with a dietician or nutritionist. It should be something that you can live with - with foods that are healthy and make you feel good.

Some folks like to plan their meals and snacks the night before or when they get up in the morning. It helps to write down everything you eat - planned or unplanned. Maybe to get started....try drinking lots of water and have 5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.

Glad you found us. Welcome!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-29-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #7  

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate big time, and I think it's going to be easy to stick to my new plan of low calorie. I am actually loving it, because I feel full all day long which is great because with the Atkins I just felt like I was starving.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:11 AM   #8  
The Keymaker

S/C/G: 328/250/160

Height: 5'7

Talking Pick a Program

Kayla, I would suggest checking out a few different programs like Weight Watchers, South Beach Diet, Fat Smash, etc. to see which one would work best for you. If you went with Weight Watchers, I know they have meetings everywhere so it would be easy to find one. They outline the eating plan and have tons of tips.

What works for me is educating myself on nutrition by reading health magazines, books, websites and having a good support system (which includes 3FC!!)

Keep us posted on your progress.
Jess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 245/178/145

Height: 5'4

I was the same way as far as not know what exactly is "healthy." I joined Physician's Weight Loss and can't say enough good things about it. However, everyone is different, so if you can go to a nutritionist and take what they say to build a lifestyle, that's amazing. Personally, the accountablility of being weighed by a counselor, going to the weekly class, the food diary and the supplements have made this "diet" an actual way of life for me. Once the program is over, I will know what to choose to eat, how much of it and feel more confident in my eating habits.

If it's been a lifelong struggle, then you might want to consider finding a program that fits your needs. Good luck!
QueenBee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #10  

I think I am going to go along the route of calorie counting. I think that will be the easiest and I think its a lifestyle change that I could really adjust too. I wouldn't feel limited of what I could eat or craving everything in the world because I can't have it, lol. Yesterday I started eating better and couting calories and I did really well. I planned to eat 1400 calories a day and I actually only got about 1250 which I should probably make sure I get the 1400 I need to incorporate some more foods in to my diet. Yesterday I just ate a lot of fruit when ever I wanted a snack I would have a handful of grapes or strawberries and instead of chips with my turkey on wheat sandwich I had a banana. It worked out well though. I think I am going to be able to do this. I also decided I am going to make my goal 140 at this time because that is approx 100lbs from where I am, then once I get there I will decide how much more I want to lose.

Last edited by Kayhm0711; 07-30-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #11  
The Radiant One

Kayhm - You know, I would actually start with your calories higher per day. At your starting weight, you could probably lose quite well on at least 1800. You want to feed your body enough, and then give yourself room to decrease calories later when you get closer to goal.

You can up the calories by eating some healthy fats like nuts, or peanut butter, or cooking in some olive oil.

You can track your daily intake on a site like thedailyplate.com which will help you see where your calories come from.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Counting calories works for me. It also makes you more aware of what foods are high or low in calories.

Try filling 2/3 of your plate with vegetables at dinner. Don't put butter or oil on them. Don't deep fry anything. Choose lean meats like chicken breast, lean pork, and fish. Salmon is great. Choose whole grains like brown rice or whole wheat bread. Beans and lentils are very healthy as well. Egg whites are a good low cal source of protein.

Dinner last night was: cedar planked salmon filet, baby zucchinis sauteed in a bit of olive oil, brown rice, and steamed green beans.

Spaghetti is fine but try a whole grain spaghetti like Fiber Wise or Barilla Plus. Use ground turkey for meat in your sauce or for meatballs. Also I love turkey italian sausage in it.

You can do it. Don't give up.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #13  

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the support. I love this site it makes me want to stay on track. I work 2nd shift at Citi Bank as a Bill Collector I know I am one of those annoying people who call, But I am actually nice lol. Anyways so I have decided to start packing my dinner every night instead of buying it makes me choose a healthier meal and it's saving me some money. Today I made Speghetti which was whole grain which is good and tomato sauce on it and I measured everything to make sure I was eating too much. No more then 1 cup of speghetti and 1 cup of sauce and it somes out alittle over 300 calories I believe.

Fiber Lover- I really never knew Peanut Butter was considered healthy I thought it was too fattening. So I guess it's a good fat correct. So what about Jelly. Is a Peanut butter and jelly sandwhich on wheat a healthy choice.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #14  
The Radiant One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayhm0711 View Post

Fiber Lover- I really never knew Peanut Butter was considered healthy I thought it was too fattening. So I guess it's a good fat correct. So what about Jelly. Is a Peanut butter and jelly sandwhich on wheat a healthy choice.
Fat has a bad reputation, which isn't really deserved. Your body needs fat, and nuts are a great source of healthy fats. Just don't go over board LOL! I eat cashews almost every day, 1/3 to 1/2 an ounce.

As far as a PB&J being healthy, there are far worse sandwiches you could eat. Depends on the jelly, some are mostly sugar. Try getting an all fruit spread (like Polaner), and measure out how much pb and how much jelly go on to your sandwich.