Old 07-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #1  
active kids, active mom

Default It's sooooo expensive to be fat!

I just unloaded all my bigger clothes, sizes 20-26/28. There were a lot of nice clothes. I had actually called "dress for SUccess" to donate, but apparently their local place is full. SO I decided to sell them on craigslist. I made all of 30.00. I spent a lot more than 30.00 on those clothes. It was such a shocker to unload those clothes and see just how much I spent trying to look nice.

I have no deep thoughts here. I am just ruminating.
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:41 PM   #2  
FB

Yeah, it makes me slightly ill to donate $100 jeans and cashmere sweaters to the thrift stores. I make my husband do it, I can't bear to watch thousands of dollars folded into a trash bag.

On the bright side, it's a tax write off, someone else will get great use out of them and there are plenty of designer jeans in the future for me! And a bigger plus - we're getting rid of clothes that are too BIG for us! Double yay!

Congrats anyhow, even if it does sting a bit! You're doing fab!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

First of all...congrats on being able to give those clothes away!

Yes...it doesn't seem 'fair' that our old clothes aren't worth what we paid for them. But..like FB says - it's a tax deduction and others will get to use them. It's like recycling!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-29-2008 at 04:55 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #4  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Wow, I am still in awe from looking at your stats - congratulations, you have lost so much weight
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Oh gosh. I had such a hard time getting rid of my old clothes. I wore my 20/22/24 sizes until I was actually in a 16 ... until someone at the office told me that I needed to buy new pants!

And then I spent one weekend cleaning out my entire closet. It looked SO BARE when I was done ... and 4 large trash bags of clothes went to Goodwill.

So very hard to do. But now I'm buying a piece here and a piece there and it's so nice to see a cluster of 10s and 12s hanging in the closet. I can't wait until I can do another cleanout and have 6s and 8s hanging there. I'm dying to fit into single digit clothes again.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #6  
active kids, active mom

Thanks Beautiful -- that's very nice. I sometimes find myself in awe -- which is the only thing keeping me going through my current 4 week plateau.

Photo - that's funny. My husband was calling my pants my baglady pants because I had taken them in several times and they were still too baggy in the butt.
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #7  
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

Ok... See I am a nut... I kept all the sizes going up (the clothing I loved anyway) so now going down I find someone who's at the size I was, whom I know CAN'T spend the money I did and I make them try things on to see what works... If I still have some left then I find someone else... and again play Fashion Show... Sort of letting them shop for free... I seem to know enough people in that position that I can do it.

Trust me... The smile makes it worth it... and I stopped buying more than 3 pairs of pants per size about 2 years ago.

I am actually looking forward to 1-2 more sizes down because I have some killer dress pants on those sizes. Just no jeans...

And above all else I have to say that giving things away because they are too big feels like less of a waste than putting them in a closet because they are now too small.
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 245/178/145

Height: 5'4

I just had to give away three black trash bags full of clothes, shoes (even my feet have lost weight) and purses (why not, while I was cleaning out my closet). I was selling them on craigslist, but one of the responses I got was asking me to donate some things to PhillyCares, so I ended up just donating it all.

Good for you losing so much weight and purging yourself of your old clothes! How exciting to be physically ready to buy new clothes! I'm not ready to buy yet because I still have far to go, but I can't wait for that day!
QueenBee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #9  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

That's why I shop consignment. Purging the closet after each few pounds could get mucho expensive to have to keep buying. Now that I am close to goal, I need new sizes about every 5 pounds

Congrats on your success so far - and enjoy the new clothes you have to buy while you can wear them
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 260/248/150

Height: 5'2 1/2"

Hi All --

I am amazed by how much weight everyone has lost- I know how much I spent on really good clothes that I thought people may not notice how fat I am -- I have lost 45 lbs and still wear many of the same clothes which makes me think they must not have look to good.

I look forward to being able to go to the store and not having to go to the BIG womans section.

Keep up the good work all--

Jenni
jennisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I like to donate our clothing to the local women's shelter. They always seem to need mine and my children's "outgrown" clothing.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote