Old 07-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #1  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Question Scale Shopping Advice

Hi all-

I am looking at updating some of my equipment... one of the items I am looking at is a new scale. I haven't stepped on my other scale in a couple months now because it always weighed so inaccurately.

I'm hoping to get some advice about a quality scale that will continually read accurately and isn't outrageously priced. I'll probably shop at Target.

I have heard different things... Is digital the way to go -or- not the way to go?

Thanks!!!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #2  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I went with a WW digital scale and it's right on with the scales at my meetings. I've had it for a couple of years now.

Good luck in finding one you are comfortable with!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #3  
Kae

Thank you--- I saw a WW one when I was browsing online.. I'll take another look at it.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #4  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I bought a Tanita Large Capacity Scale online and it is great. Works great every time, unless it needs batteries. It has 5 settings on it so 5 different people can weigh on it and it will record the last weight and put it on the screen each time you weigh, so it shows you how much you have lost.

It was about $70 but------YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR and I considered it to be a birthday present to myself. Besides, you dont want to get false readings, losing weight is hard enough without that headache, which will drive you insane.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I have a regular (non digital) scale. I like that because it never needs batteries. I can get on it and off it a million times and every time I can watch the little needle on the dial go right to the same spot. Nice.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #6  

I have a Tanita also, and love it. It weighs very consistently and will store your weight (actually, will store weight for up to 4 people). It also measures in .2 increments, which is something I really like - every little bit helps!

I, too, paid about $70 for mine, but I've had it for almost 18 months now and have never had any problems with it.
Magpie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:38 AM   #7  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Are digital scales the same as electronic scales?

For digital scales, do you step on and get your reading immediately? Or is there a process you go through (like stepping on, off, on or waiting 10 seconds once you've stepped on) to get your reading?

I love this scale. I wish I had one at home! or even at the gym. I love how accurate it is. Is it possible to miss a scale? Cause I'm starting to miss this one The one at the gym that I use is very inaccurate, the pointer never stays at 0lbs (when no one's on it), even after setting it to zero. After stepping off from weighing yourself, even if you only weigh yourself once, it'll go to 1 or 2 lbs forward. But because this value always changes (sometimes it's 1 lb sometimes 2 lbs, sometimes 0.5 lbs), it's hard to know if the reading is accurate. But I like only weighing at the gym because it keeps me from obsessing. Otherwise I'd get a scale at home. Anyways, here is my

Last edited by beautifulone; 07-31-2008 at 12:40 AM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I have the same scale as Mug. I have had it for quite some time now and it is hands down the very best scale I have ever owned. It ALWAYS gives me the same weight no matter how many times I get on (so I simply don't do that anymore). But it was a really good choice for me because it weighs up to 440 lbs.

Here is a link http://www.scalesgalore.com/pbath.htm#hd351
It's a little pricey at $85.00, but soooooo worth it!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #9  
Kae

Thanks ladies for all the opinions! I'll check out the Tanita for sure. Thanks again!