Old 04-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Default Losing weight can help my arthritis

I'm really going to do it this time. I'm tired of sore knees and aching bones. I know getting to my idle weight will help me with these issues. I'm so tired and achy when I come home from work. I'm doing South Beach. I'm looking forward to a thinner me. I can use any helpful suggestions on my journey. Flow
flowingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh you are so very right . . . getting rid of the extra pounds can alleviate so many of the problems that start to plague us as we reach "that certain age".

to the Age 50+ Forum, FLOW . . . we'll all be looking forward to getting to know you better . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #3  

Default Suggestions for the struggle

Hi Thanks for your welcome. I really want to make it work this time. I know all the right things to do. It's the the doing that is the issue. I've tried almost everything over the years-lost, gained, lost gained. I'm hoping this support group will make the difference. I',m going to try to write everyday, but my life is quite hectic with work and a number of committments. Flow
Old 04-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

South beach is a good easy diet, really. I did it for awhile but it is time intensive you have to either make the foods reccomened or shop till you drop looking for a product with the right ingredients. Good luck!
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #5  

what I really wanted to say is that I am hoping getting rid of excess poundage will help me aches and pains as well
Old 04-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 7"

Smile Go Flow and Pixiesue!

Go Flow and Pixiesue!

You can do it! I was a bit larger that you two. 13 yrs ago I lost 100 pounds and I've kept it off ever since, through menopause and all. I did it with the Zone lifestyle. It's been great. I'm never hungry, I eat yummy healthy balanced meals and snacks from foods of my choice, and it's easy for me to do anywhere, even on vacation (I'm going on vacation in a week ! )

One of the basic principles of the Zone is to lower inflammation in the body; the other is to lower insulin levels in order to promote health and burn fat. My cousin began the Zone specifically because she was very overweight and had arthritis. With her doctor's hepl and recommendation, she stopped her arthritis pain med one month after she began eating in the Zone. She's a firm believer that the Zone is at the root of her success. She's lost about 50 pounds and kept it off.

Good luck you guys! Keep in touch, ok?

Last edited by SueK24; 04-30-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo
SueK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I am currently seeing a bariatric doctor/dietician to help with my weight loss. I have incorporated a "whole foods"/"super foods" type lifestle. Basically I am saying I am not on a certain "PLAN" (Like WW, Zone, LAWL, Atkins, etc). At one of my first appointments with my bari doc we talked about "Side effects" of being over weight and how even small weight loss makes a huge impact on your healthy.

One of the sheets she gave me talked about a study on the effects of weight and arthritis. That study showed for EACH EXTRA POUND you carry it puts an additional 5 pounds of stress on your hips and 7 to 9 pounds on your knees. So in reverese...for each pound you lose it has the benefits on your hip joints of a 5 pound loss and your knees as a 7 to 9 pound loss.

Those numbers increase even more if you are 100 pounds or more overweight.

I hope I explained that clearly.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #8  

wow thanks for that KateB that is a real incentive to me, to lose weight!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #9  

Smile

Hi I am a newbie,
Thanks for the info K. Maybe my knee will not hurt as bad.
Roma
gramabear45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #10  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

My arthritis is SO much better now. I was having trouble with everyday tasks at 215 lbs. I had to stand up and let my body adjust before I could move. Getting out of a car after sitting a while was comical. I looked like a little old lady shuffling along until I could get my joints limbered up a bit. Now, I pop right up and don't even think about it any more. Same for getting out of bed in the morning. It is almost like I don't have arthritis any more
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:34 AM   #11  

Height: 5'3"

That's good to hear I know that when I lost 33 lbs before I felt SO much lighter, freer and just better in general. I can't wait to feel that way again!
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #12  
Onward and Downward

Well . . . I have to admit that the 60 I've lost has definitely helped ease the burden, but can't call the knees and ankles anywhere near pain free yet. Hopefully another 60 will make a big, big difference.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #13  

Hi all, Thanks for all your suggestions. It sure is encouraging to know that losing weight really does make a difference to the big "A" pain. I have that knee locking problem right now. It sure makes me feel old. I'll have to check into the zone. Is it much different than South Beach? Thanks Lori
Old 04-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #14  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Just a thought, but I also use supplements with glucosamine and chondroiten recommended by my Dr. for arthritis pain. They take about a month to kick in, but I am pain free now. I was having arthritic pain in wrists and shoulders making it hard to lift my arms over my head. I could hardly take a shirt off over my head. That was over a year ago and I have been mostly pain free since using this. I also recommend South Beach or Mediterranean type diet for anti-inflammation effect. Adequate healthy fats; fish, olive oil, nuts also seem to help arthritis. I eat fish twice a week and take fish oil supplements too.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #15  
Onward and Downward

I swear if it wasn't for my Glucosamine supplements twice a day, I don't think I'd be walking at all. I'm definitely not pain free, but they really do help.