Old 07-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #1  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Default Yoga Video Suggestions Please

I have what some refer to as "white coat syndrome"...so my doctor recommended I do Yoga to help keep my blood pressure down. I do Leslie Sansone video's and other workout DVD's, I go to the gym to do the elliptical and weight machines, and I take lots of walks. I am 57.

I have never done Yoga before and would like to find a good beginner Yoga video that will last me for awhile...and will be good to help me with my blood pressure.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Are there yoga classes at your gym??
You might want to try a real class instead. That way you can learn proper technique and you can do the poses later at home on your own and at your own pace. I bought a couple of videos and I felt that they didn't stay in the poses long enough to be relaxing. I felt more rushed
I took classes at my church for a reasonable price, so you might find classes elsewhere in your neighborhood.

Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Gaiam's Yoga: Conditioning for Weightloss is my favorite. It has 4 views - with beginning, intermediate and advanced instructors. You choose whichever view (or combined) that you want. I started with it at 215 lbs. and still do it weekly.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #4  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

Height: 5'4"

oh, i like Gaiam's stuff. also, i LOVE anything with Rodney Yee. he's very calm and doesn't make me feel like i suck at yoga.
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi Cheree - What is "white coat syndrome"??? I've never heard of that.

All of the yoga dvds from Yoga Zone - they have many different levels- are wonderful. They take it slow and really explain the breathing and the moves.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #6  

A was asking a friend the same question a while back and she said she had a video called Yoga - Conditioning For Weight Loss - which i found on the internet - apparently it teaches you basic yoga techniques but with the specific goal of loosing weight and feeling better for it. I also found a site Gaiam - think its already been suggested but seems to have a whole loads of different dvds depending on what your goal is!
Pieinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I agree that you should take a few classes to get started- it's really important to get the right poses down.

I highly recommend Yoga Shakti- you can pick the poses you want to do, which I find awesome.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:49 PM   #8  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

White Coat Syndrome is when someone's blood pressure goes up when they go to the doctor and get their blood pressure taken there, but other times, their blood pressure is normal. I have a BP cuff at home, and I take my blood pressure almost every morning, and it is in the normal range...(I'm 57 and this didn't start happening to me until the last couple of years.) I think losing weight will hopefully help me with this too. I don't want it to go into full fledge high blood pressure if I can possibly help it.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions, I appreciate it!!!

Last edited by Cheree; 07-27-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote