Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Default Chattin' it up at 40 and up

Hi all. I'm 43 and am trying to be healthier at 50 than I was at 30. I love to chat about my progress, children, my friends, my church....ok I like to chat. I hope you will join me.

Today was a scary day in my neck of WI. Tornadoes everywhere. We spent about an hour in the basement listening to the radio, until it went dead!, and texting family and friends back and forth. My DS was camping with the scouts and I got no word about him until it was long over. Thankfully, God was willing to listen to me or I'd have been sick with worry. It's over now and we lost nothing except a couple branches. Phew!!

I did get out early this morning and did 6 miles on my bike and a 4 mile walk. I'm feeling pretty good overall about my eating and my exercising.

Hope this posts and finds all of you having a terrific Saturday!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #2  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Evening girls.

Well I'm 48 soon to be 49 yikes. I'm trying to get healthier and doing all right. I got under 200 lbs for the first time in over a year on Thursday just there. Also I had my cholesterol re-checked by my doctor last week and it came down 30 points. So he said I've to continue what I've been doing and he will check it again in 6 months. I was so pleased as I did not want to go on medicine. It's still borderline high.

Lovn we had bad weather yesterday. Our sirens went off 3 times.

I'm going to see "Mamma Mia" tomorrow with my friend. Looking forward to that.

All you new girls post again so as we can get to know you.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:22 AM   #3  

Clyde, Wow, your cholesterol has dropped 30 points?!?!?! I've never heard of anyone actually doing what it took without meds. I am so proud of you. I know you'll continue to lower it. You've been doing just awesome and I know you're only going to do better and better.

More rain last night, but the winds have quit. We have flash floods all around us. Neighbors and family had huge trees completely uprooted. Something flew through my brother's window at his auto shop. His little town had no electricity (4 miles from us) and since he's the village electric guy his own troubles had to waite. Thankfully, it wasn't his home or that he'd been in front of the window at the time. Our home sits at the base of a bluff and it fully protected us. The hubs watched the edge of a tornado swirl directly above the bluff and we lost nothing!! Nothing from the bluff even ended up in our back yard. He was at our store next door when it hit and wasn't smart enough to take cover. Idiot!!! That was at 1pm yesterday and another one hit less than 10 min from us at about 6pm on our way home from church. They just kept popping up. I don't suppose the fields will be ready for practice tomorrow!!
Have a great Sunday!
Hey, my avatar hasn't shown up since the "crash" did you guys have to go in and redo yours???
Old 06-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #4  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning 40-somethings! I am 43, and a stay at home Mom to a 4-yr old boy and a 5 1/2-yr old girl. I also have a husband and a cat. We live in the suburbs of Atlanta.

I am a lifelong yo yo dieter and I am trying to break the cycle. I am also a stress/emotional eater with a tendency to binge. I count calories (and I am doing calorie cycling) and go to the gym just about every day. I do weight training three days a week, with a little cardio on those days; I do heavy cardio the other four days. I don't really have a weight goal; I am just trying to fit into my clothes. I am getting close!

Lovn, that's so scary. I am glad everyone is ok.

Clyde, great job on the cholesterol!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #5  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm Diane, 44, married and mom of a 14 year old girl and a 12 year old boy.

Clyde: That is totally awesome! I love the fact that you can do something positive like that to avoid having to take the medication. My mom was in the same boat. Even though she is at a good weight, she wasn't getting much exercise and she liked to indulge in a bowl of ice cream every night. She was going to have to go on cholesterol meds, but asked the doctor to give her 6 months to work on it. She cut out ice cream and started walking every day. No meds for her!

Sorry to hear about all of your rough weather! We had some rainstorms move through a couple of days ago, maybe that's what has turned so ugly for you guys! Now it is really nice, so we're pretty lucky.

My son's baseball game was cancelled on Friday because they didn't have enough players... again. This season is going to kill me yet. We only have 3 more games, if we have enough players. He is really frustrated.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #6  
Donna

Hello Everyone,

I am 41, married, no kids, 2 dogs and a cat (and an empty fish tank but that's another story....). I have had weight issues most of my life, the first diet I remember is when my dad bet me I couldn't get down to the weight on the chart for my age/height at 15. I did it but it didn't last long. I then worked at McDs in college and they gave free food and since I was working to pay rent and food.... I gained about 20 lbs that year Another big chunk of weight came on in my mid-20's when I went thru clinical depression and put on about 50 lbs in 4 months I have lost and re-gained many times since, until I hit my high of about 265 in 2004 but I seem to get stuck at 230. This time I'd decided to take it slow and easy and not worry about numbers but how I feel, and it worked pretty well I lost 40 lbs (it took about 2 years....) but then I got tired and quit journaling and paying attention and I've crept back up from my low in Sept, so I need to buckle down and get back on track. Hopefully, I can become a regular on this site again, the support always helps.

As far as what I do...right now not much which is a big part of the problem. I can't decide what I want to be when I grow up. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, but I didn't like it, so I worked for a while as a historical presenter in a museum, but it didn't pay well...so now I'm at home trying to figure something out. I do read, quilt, photography, bike riding and right now I'm working on a web page for a friend's business, but mostly I don't do much....

Oh well, I'm starting to depress myself and that's not how I wanted to introduce myself.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life, and I can enjoy it.....

-Tech
Old 06-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #7  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Tech, are you an alum of Georgia Tech, per chance? I am.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #8  
Donna

Nope, Michigan Tech. Much smaller and waaaaaay north.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #9  
Andrea

S/C/G: 194/189.5/150

Height: 5'4"

Well, looks like we're starting over in a new thread, so hello again, everyone. This is Andrea here. I just turned 46 this past Friday. I'm married and have a son who's just finishing 5th grade. I'm trying to lose about 40 pounds, and am a heart attack survivor as well.

I can relate to all the cholesterol talk. Two days after my heart attack, while in the hospital, I was put on Lipitor and have been using it ever since (Dec. 2006). I just had it check on Friday and it was at 154, so my dr. is keeping me on it since my body reacts so well to it. However, he was not happy about my weight - I'd gained 9 pounds since my last visit in October. He mentioned that his bariatric patients - those who've had the lap band surgery, etc. - usually end up not needing many of their meds. While I am not a candidate for that type of surgery, he just wanted to drive home the fact that the more weight I lose, the better things will be. Which is obvious, but...well, we all know it's easier said than done.

Anyway - my exercise consists of using my treadmill, which I love. I also ride (horses) but sadly, only once a week. I am finding it very, very difficult to exercise regularly, as my work/home schedule can be nuts. However, with my son's school year coming to an end, I am hoping to get back on track, and get myself MOVING at least 4-5 times a week. That seemed to work very well for me in the past.

Anyway - looking forward to more chatting here!! I live in the glorious Nutmeg state of Connecticut, where we are currently experiencing a heat wave - in the 90's and humid, which is not typical for us. My son was supposed to have baseball practice at 6:00 this evening, but it's been cancelled - too hot, and now there are threats of sever T'storms/hail/wind! Yikes!

Have a lovely evening and here comes a new week!
Old 06-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #10  
Diane

S/C/G: 180/170/145

Hi Everyone

I'm am 43, married no kids but a puppy and 2 cats.

I have been a repeat offender at WW for many years, never getting to goal. My goal this time is to get to goal. I know I have to lose the weight to get there but I really want to get to goal without quitting again.

I look forward to meeting and chatting with all of you.

take care
Diane
Old 06-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #11  
One pound at a time.

Welcome Littlerozzee. I had to look twice as you have the same avatar as Diane and same name. I hear you about getting to goal . I never made it all the times I went to WW. I'm doing it on my own now and saving my money.

Also welcome Tech to the first day of the rest of your life.

Well I just got back from "Mamma Mia". What a great show . I love the music of Abba so I was singing along and doing a dance at the end, so good.

Very hot here today. Summer is here with a vengeance.

Summer school starts tomorrow for my youngest. She just goes mornings for 6 weeks. It helps to break up the long summer vacation as well.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Is this the new official chat thread?

I'm PhotoChick. I"m 40, live in Atlanta, earn my living as a photographer. I'm married, but separated (long story), have no kids and one very spoiled cat.

It's been a long couple of weeks for me - I was absent from the last thread for a while. I wound up having ot go to the hospital a few Monday mornings ago and was diagnosed with walking pneumonia. I've been taking a variety of meds, including prednisone which is really screwing with my weight loss. It's messed up my appetite and it's causing me to retain water in a big way! Bleah.

I'm still dealing with the insurance company on replacing all the gear that was stolen from my car three weeks ago ... so very annoying. I'm still down one camera and one lens and the money I'm spending on renting gear for weddings is just pissing me off. But I just can't buy any more until the insurance pays up.

And it's just been too HOT to move here. The temps were 97'F today ... just miserably hot. I wanted to eat outside on my new patio table (yay!) but even at 7 it was too warm to sit outside.

Ok, but whining aside, I have managed to keep below 170 even while on the meds. I haven't given in to cravings and eaten an entire bag of chips, although I really really wanted to the other day. I did eat Triscuits and cheese, but I'm refusing to feel guilty about it.

I also managed to clean the kitchen top to bottom the other day and now I keep walking into the room and just enjoying having a sparkling clean room. Now to get the rest of the house done. Hah!

Ok, that's my update. I'll try to be around more.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #13  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/125ish

Height: 5'2''

Hi ho ! Im Renee, have been posting on a couple other boards, calorie counters, 100's and binge eating - was lurking over here, thought I would introduce myself...I will be 45 in gosh next week ! lol I have 6 kids, and a dog named Marley, a puppy really (I recently lost my dog of 14 years and my hubby bought me Marley) which takes me to - yup Im married. and I am going to be a Grandma for the first time any time now!!!

I had a hysterectomy some 19 years ago for health reasons, I battle depression over my weight, (have panic attacks too - will get to that) I think I could be classified as a binge eater, I had a heart attack and heart bypass surgery at age 27 - genitic thing and of super high cholesterol. (started having panic attacks after my heart surgery) Iwas doing ok maintaining my weight at just below 200 for a long time, then this Jan. I quit smoking and OMG I have balloned up to 225 - 230. I am so uncomfortable with how I look It takes my breath away to look in a mirror! You would think that alone would be incentive enough to put the fork down. but nope - instead of smoking Im eating.

Anyway - just thought I would come out of the closet and say hey!!!!

Last edited by theycallmemom; 06-08-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #14  

Hey Diane, Sorry the players didn't show again!!!

Techalum, looking forward to getting to know you. There are some great women who give terrific support on this thread.

Rozzee, Nice meeting you too. I love the, " I'm a WW repeat offender," good sense of humor. Support is abundant here.

Clyde, the show sounds like a great time. I think you and I would get along well...I too sing and dance!

Photo, so sorry to hear you're ill. I'll keep you in my prayers. I hope your insurance check comes through soon.

Renee, welcome to our little thread. Remember, you are not what you look like. You've battled depression and quit a dificult addiction. You're winning at two really hard things. Look at making changes to better your overall life rather than just what size you are. That new grandbaby, when he or she arrives, is going to think how awesome it is that your happy and excited that he was born. He's not going to care how much you weigh. Give yourself a break and check in here for support whenever you need to.
The flash flooding has turned to actual flooding. Whole town 20-30 miles from here have been evacuated. Some homes in my hometown, just 4 miles south, have been evacuated because the town 5 miles west had to release their dam. It's just crazy. Luckily, the hwy and the bike trail seperate our home from the river. So, I'm not too worried unless our sump pump quits. It's running every two minutes. The water is running along my basement floor. I'm so thankful that we're blessed enough to be able to be prepared. Without the pump in place in advance my basement would probably near the top of the steps. We've had more than 9 inches of rain in the last 33 hours. I'm good, but keep my neighbors in your thoughts.

Last edited by lovnmom; 06-08-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #15  
One pound at a time.

Welcome Renee. Gosh you've been through a lot between your heart attack/ heart bypass and hysterectomy. Congratulations on quiting smoking very difficult thing to do. Pop in every day and chat, we're a friendly bunch.

Photo I was on prednisone 18 months ago and it made me nauseated constantly. I was surviving on tea and toast. Needless to say I lost weight on it and then gained it all back when I finished the course.

Lovn crazy weather and rains. You're so lucky if it's that close to you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope you don't have to leave your home.

I'm still singing "Mamma Mia". i will get my Abba Gold CD out tomorrow and crank it up. Now where did I put my platform boots
Closed Thread