Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

Default Hello

Hey everyone...I've been on this site for a year and a half now, but just recently started Atkins. I started on Sunday (20 July) and have lost 12lbs up to this morning (24 July). Is it normal to lose that fast? I'm assuming most is water...which is probably why I feel dehydrated. I'm drinking 3 to 4 liters of water a day and still feel that way. This morning, I woke up with a massive headache...felt like I was out drinking the night before...is this normal as well?

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know some of you...I hope you don't mind a guy in the house! The LA Weight Loss ladies didn't mind...lol...
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

and glad to see you!

While not everyone experiences the headache, enough people do that it is normal. Just make sure you are getting enough water and leafy greens and it should go away within a couple of days. Most people feel great by day 7 if they are following Induction exactly.

Also, very rapid weight loss is to be expected at the beginning as you are losing water weight in addition to any fat loss. You will slow, you may even plateau (and don't give up if you do!), but the fat will continue to come off. If you do plateau, make sure you come back here and read as there are some helpful forum posts on how to deal with plateaus.

And while I can't speak for everyone, in my book, ANYONE who is working on a low carb diet is welcome.

Last edited by snapless; 07-24-2008 at 06:31 PM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

SASK: Welcome!!! The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. Plus I like having a handsome hunk around. We won't accept any TOM, peri or menopausal whining from you though. LOL. Only the ladies get to endulge in that lovely slice o' life.

Sounds like everything you are reporting falls into the normal range. Glad to have you aboard. Please pop into our LC Chat thread as well...

Xo
SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Sunrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:14 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayincalm View Post
Plus I like having a handsome hunk around.
I like this place already! lol...thanks for the welcome...
Old 07-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #6  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Cool Hi!

Welcome to 3FC. I'm new to Atkins, also and new to this site. Excellent information, support 24/7 from positive, intelligent people, and it's free. What's not to love?

The headache may be caffine withdrawal if you were a coffee head and have quit cold turkey. Try half/caff for a few days if you can't stand it? Have a great weekend. Me? Off to Charleston, SC - the Holy City!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

to Atkins!!

Atkins is an effective & healthy plan when properly followed. Contrary to popular misconception, Atkins is not the "all you can eat bacon, butter & red meat diet".

on your weight loss!! The hangover feeling you are describing is commonly known as "Atkins flu" and it should pass over in a few days when your body has been detoxed of sugar & bad carbs.

All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW 170/ GW 140

Height: 5'6

I'm new to Atkins as well! I have been reading up on it and really think it is going to work for me! I'm starting August 1.

It was encouraging to read your post. Congratulations on the weight loss!!! Hope the "hangover" ends for you quickly!!!!

Oh, and Welcome!!!!
Lilolme78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilolme78 View Post
Hope the "hangover" ends for you quickly!!!!
It lasted only a few hours yesterday...now that the weekend's here, it'll be a true test to my willpower. Hopefully I'll go this one without a self-induced hangover. I usually host or attend a houseparty pretty much every weekend and I'm a beer drinker. It's extremely hard right now knowing that it's Friday and I'm about to fire up the bbq, but can't have a beer on the patio to celebrate the week's end while my kid plays on the trampoline.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcomend good luck!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskNewfie View Post
It's extremely hard right now knowing that it's Friday and I'm about to fire up the bbq, but can't have a beer on the patio to celebrate the week's end while my kid plays on the trampoline.
I understand. I really enjoy having a glass of red wine every night, but quit during induction and just finished a 3 week stint without any because it slows my weight loss. As soon as my relatives come and go next week I plan on not drinking again for 3 months.

I don't drink beer very often, maybe once a year, so maybe Kim has a suggestion of a low carb beer you could drink (in moderation) after induction is over?
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #12  

WElcome SaskNewfie......I totally LOVE that name! How discriptive can you get! LOL!

I had a "lost my sea legs" feeling in my first week of Atkins but the headaches sometimes seem part of it too. Glad your past it already and I hope the weekend goes well for you. (How about drinking your ice water out of a beer bottle....the illusion might be enough?)

Sending you a ton of enthusiasm to carry you over the weekend and into successful Atkins living!
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:59 AM   #13  

S/C/G: SW 170/ GW 140

Height: 5'6

I'm a beer drinker as well!!! That is going to be tough for me also! Nothing like sittin' in the yard watchin the kiddos and enjoying a cold one!!!
Lilolme78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 272/see tracker/170

Height: 5'11"

I'm actually new to Atkins too! I started yesterday and I'm excited to see other people are starting Atkins as well! =D

Welcome to the group!
kireos is offline   Reply With Quote