Old 07-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #1  

Default enough fat in diet ?

Sometimes my daily intake of fat is only 8 g. Is this enough ? On some days, I'll eat salmon so my daily fat will be higher (like 20 g or even higher) but sometimes it is as low as 8 g.

Last edited by kaytlin90; 07-22-2008 at 04:57 PM.
kaytlin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

8 what?

That number has no meaning.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #3  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Do you mean 8 grams of fat a day? If so, that seems low. I think for a 1600 calorie a day diet, you need something like 50g's of fat (or, that's what's recommended).

Speaking from personal experience with an extreme low fat diet, my nails became brittle and my hair fell out, so you might want to try to bump that up. There are lots of sources of healthy fats -- olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc. as well as meats and fish and dairy.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #4  

8g is too little. You need more fat than that to support basic body functions.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #5  
Justin

S/C/G: 166/140/132

Height: 5' 7"

fat is not bad as people make it sound like.

i do a 40-30-30 ratio. protein-carbs-fat. i try to take in around 1700..so that comes out to about 60g of fat. what i do is eat a tablespoon of peanut butter with my meals. so i end up getting at least 32g of good fat. i leave the rest for incidental fat..meaning those fat i dont purposely take in.

most carbs cause an insulin spike..so an easy way to slow that spike down is eating some healthy fat with it.

Last edited by ndnguy85; 07-22-2008 at 05:47 PM.
ndnguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #6  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Try adding in some almonds as a snack. Nuts are highly touted as a good snack while dieting- adds in good fats and they are filling.
I try to make sure I have fat in some form with every meal and my weight loss is better when I do this.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

kaytlin, I think you should consider going to the library and getting a good book on NUTRITION.
You really shouldn't go under 20% fat. I think 30% is better.
Your body needs fat to produce the many hormones that control your bodily functions.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You NEED about 3% of your calories to come from fat for basic functions. Some of the more extreme low fat diets may try to put you at 5% but at that level, it is a very delicate balance and most low fat diets recommend 10-20% of your calories come from fat.

I try to be less than 20% for my fat intake and when I mapped it out, I was averaging somewhere around 15%.

So I'd say you need some more fat in your diet. Look for healthy fats such as olives, avocado, nuts, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #9  

That is WAY too low. Without knowing your fat source, I am sure that you aren't getting enough essential fatty acids or conjugated linoliec acid. You are actually inhibiting your weight loss efforts.

When you do that, your body will find a way to get the fat that is essential to your body's needs. It will even rob your skin, hair, nails, etc.
cmichele1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I agree that it is too low. I usually do better if I eat around 25%-30% of my diet from fat. So, if I eat 1500 calories a day, that would be 45 grams, and if I eat 1200 that would be 36 grams.

8 grams of fat a day...that is so low that it is going to cause some side effects. I would recommend seeing a doctor, and upping your fat intake. Besides your hormonal functions, your organs, hair, skin, and nails need fat.

If you continue eating such a super low fat diet, you could end up with hair that starts falling out or breaking off...along with other complications.

Fat isn't the enemy-it is necessary, just like protein and carbohydrates. Fat got a bad reputation because of the bad for you foods that are high in fat like cookies, cakes, snacks, chips, etc. But, there are many HEALTHY foods that are also fat sources, such as salmon, nuts, eggs, olive oil, and so on.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #11  

Your skin will get dry and your hair will fall out at that level. What do you eat that you only get 8 grams of fat a day? Good stuff from everyone else.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #12  

For those who wondered how I could get around 8 g of fat daily only here's an example of what I eat in day:

breakfast: yogurt with a banana

lunch: whole-grain spaghetti with a meatless spaghetti sauce (tomato and basilic) (not a lot) + 1 egg + broadbeans immature

snack: a nectarine

supper: mashed potatoes (potatoes, carrots and some other vegetables) + canned peas

snack: apple + sometimes a glass of milk
kaytlin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #13  

You've been told this repeatedly in thread after thread after thread.

You're not eating enough and you're not eating enough of the right kinds of foods. You're damaging your body and your metabolism. Every post you make shows this more and more. Your latest post that you've stopped menstruating is further evidence of that.

You need to go to a doctor. You need to talk to someone about nutrition and learning what you need to fuel your body. You need some help in dealing with your food and weight related issues. I really really really hope you'll get the help and support that you need.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 07-24-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #14  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I preface this by saying that I'm by no means a nutrition expert, BUT...

It seems like you could up your fat in-take without drastically altaring what you're eating if you swap (what I assume is) low/no fat yogurt/milk with the full-fat versions. Do you eat the whole egg, or just the whites? If you just eat the whites, try leaving in the yolk.

But aside from that, how many calories a day are you eating? I just ask because the dinner you described seems a tad bare to me... another good way to add in some fat (and protein) is to add chicken or fish or something to your dinner. Also, along with your snacks, try mixing in some nuts or smearing some peanut butter on the banana or apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytlin90 View Post
For those who wondered how I could get around 8 g of fat daily only here's an example of what I eat in day:

breakfast: yogurt with a banana

lunch: whole-grain spaghetti with a meatless spaghetti sauce (tomato and basilic) (not a lot) + 1 egg + broadbeans immature

snack: a nectarine

supper: mashed potatoes (potatoes, carrots and some other vegetables) + canned peas

snack: apple + sometimes a glass of milk
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #15  

At least try to bring some more of the "super foods" into your diet woman. Some Avacado, some blueberries, some spinach.... as hard as it is you might want to rotate your diet a little so you get more nutrition in there...
hmtklein is offline   Reply With Quote