Old 07-24-2008, 01:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Shopping help

I just figured out that I have no idea how to shop for clothes.

I am so used to going into any store, heading for the tiny Plus Size section and trying to find something in a 26 or 3x and suddenly I go into stores and the Plus Size section has nothing SMALL ENOUGH for me. Talk about a mind trip...

Anyway I am now buying 14 tops and 18 bottoms. I need to get some 16 jeans too to work into. Well the plus size sections just never have these sizes. So I go out into the store and just get lost. I have no idea what I am doing. There are wayy, WAYY too many choices. I just stare, I don't even know where to start.

And then I realise that I could shop, maybe, at some non-Plus Size stores. Like maybe I do not HAVE to go to Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug Plus, and Catherine's (and Walmart and Penneys Plus Sections).

Where do I go? What do I do? Help!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:56 AM   #2  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

You mentioned Lane Bryant so it sounds like you are from the States I was going to suggest Reitmans, however Im not sure if they have locations across the States.

Ive heard Old Navy is good. Do you have Laura/Laura Plus (their plus sizes may be smaller), Penningtons, or Rickis.

I find, at the stores around me anyways, that there is a gap between regular stores sizes 0-13 S/M/L/XL and plus-size stores (or stores carrying some plus size clothing) sizes. So while I may be able to wear an XL in a larger-size store, I cant yet wear an XL in a regular size store. Isnt that wild.

And congratulations on this awesome milestone!!! I cant wait to be there myself!

Last edited by beautifulone; 07-24-2008 at 01:57 AM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:57 AM   #3  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey! As far as problems go, yours is one that I wish I had. Hehe.

For shopping, I would suggest that you try dept. stores like Kohl's, Dillard's, Macy's, etc. They tend to have nice women's sections, with lots of stuff in "regular" sizes. And at pretty reasonable prices, too... Personally, I like to go when there's a sale (Kohl's has the best ones!), but I have no idea what kind of budget you're working with, ha. Wal*Mart tends to have some nice clothes in the regular women's section, too, if you look hard enough! I do like Old Navy, and their stuff is pretty cheap, but a consequence of that is that it's also pretty cheaply made and tends to fall apart pretty easily. I would say it's a good place to buy something trendy that might go out of style soon, LOL, or if you're just buying some things for a transitional size during your weight loss, but not for stuff that you really want to last.

As far as the shopping itself... Er... What kind of style you have? I would say the best thing to do to start building an entirely new wardrobe would be to buy lots of "mix n' match" kind of pieces--stuff that can be worn in lots of different ways and many combinations, i.e. slacks, t-shirts, cardigans, tank tops, sweaters, etc in various colors. After you have a few basic pieces, then you should go for stuff with pretty prints or trims.

That's the best way to go for a classically put-together look, but of course, for all I know, you might be more of the type to go for a hot pink leopard-print mini-skirt, hehe! The best "advice" I could give would be to look around the stores that seem to go with your style, and if something catches your eye, try it on! If you find items that make you feel great when you wear them, go for it! OOOH, and if possible, bring a friend (one who's honest, but tactful, heh) who can give you an opinion on the stuff you try on... And maybe prod you into trying on things that you otherwise wouldn't.

Best of luck with the shopping!! If you can't tell, I LOVE clothes, hehe. Hope you find lots of cute stuff.

Last edited by Star2Be; 07-24-2008 at 04:00 AM.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I could have written your post myself and agree absolutely. Its overwhelming to think I can buy clothes at nearly any clothes store I wish. Its been many years since I could do that and I've no idea which stores I should focus on to get the styles I like at the price I'll pay. I'm still sticking to mail order at the moment and have not ventured into 'normal' clothing stores. At least mailorder catalogues present me with a limited range and its easy to seek out the sale/clearance bargains as I hope I'm just 'passing through' my current size. Maybe when I near my goal I should invest in the services of a stylist/personal shopper who might help me focus.

Kitty

Last edited by KforKitty; 07-24-2008 at 04:11 AM.
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Ya know....I've been feeling that way myself. I don't actually have the answer....just want to tell you how happy I am for you that you have this problem.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-24-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #6  

Height: 5'1"

First, congratulations!!! I know you've worked hard to get to where you are. Any store has regular sized jeans, but you may have to shop around to find a good fit. You know how everything is made differently. So, take a couple of sizes in with you when you try them on, and several different styles. All the stores named aboove are good and have some good sales. And, have you though about shopping in a thrift store? When I was losing weight I was going through sizes pretty quickly and hated to spend a lot of money on clothes i wasn't (hopefully) going to be wearing long. You will be surprised what nice things you can find at a good thrift store.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #7  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Lyn - congrats!!

Do you have a GoodWill or consignment store in your area? You can find so many sizes at these places, unlike any regular store where a size 14 means either an 8 or a 20 LOL.

I love shopping consignment because:
a. the cost is less than purchasing at a dept store
b. huge selection of a ton of clothing
c. no pressure to just browse til my heart's content
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #8  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

I remember the first time I walked through the plus size section and realized I couldn't wear anything in there. What a feeling! Let me chime in on consignment shopping. We have some very nice consignment stores here and I have found SO many great pieces--some even never been worn--tags still on! I am really a fan of recycling and this is recycling at its best.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #9  
FB

Heya Lyn! Congrats!

I second star2be. I love Macy's, Dillard's, Kohl's and for a bargain places like TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Value City. The bigger department stores have huge varieties of sizes and great sales. The smaller bargain places have great deals.

My favorite right now is Kohls. I love the cotton the Daisy Fuentes line uses, ultra soft and nice. I also love the cotton on the Calvin Klien shirts at Macy's. I'm picky about fabrics. Since I'm no longer technically plus sized I run like heck from polyester and other horrid synthetic fabrics.

Happy shopping adventures!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #10  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I am struggling with this as well. I did try Penneys and Target, but have found that their XL's are still too tight on me. Frustrating because 1X's are way too big, so I'm stuck somewhere in the middle!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

My dream is to lose enough weight to shop in the regular ladie's section of Kohl's. The clothes are really pretty and stylish and the sales on the weekend's are awesome.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #12  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
I am struggling with this as well. I did try Penneys and Target, but have found that their XL's are still too tight on me. Frustrating because 1X's are way too big, so I'm stuck somewhere in the middle!
Don't you HATE that?! I always get the same kind of thing at Kohl's--the 1X clothes in the women's section are way too big, but some of the XL clothes in the juniors section (where I'd like to shop, since I'm 19, heh) are too small. So I'm stuck with a choice between a shirt that just hangs on me and doesn't show off what curves I do have, or a shirt that makes me look like I've stuffed myself into it. So frustrating!
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #13  

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. We have a Kohl's here that is kinda new. I will go there first and see how I do.

As far as my "style" goes... well, for all this time my style was: big baggy plain T-shirts, black stretch pants, and huge stretch jeans. Uh, that's about it.

When I have been under 240 I started getting a few things that I think look good on me. They are usually more form fitting. If I hold up a shirt and it is like, straight at the sides, it looks bad on me. But if it curves in at the waist then I look better. I have a waist, so I think it helps to accentuate that. I get compliments in shirts like that. I like younger-looking clothes. Feminine stuff. Pretty stuff. I also think I look thinner in anything with a v-neck rather than a scoop or round or square neck. But, style? Huh. I dunno. How does one go about finding out their style??
Old 07-25-2008, 12:26 AM   #14  
loving my beautiful self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2007 View Post
But, style? Huh. I dunno. How does one go about finding out their style??
I feel like I also don't and never have had a particular style. Its always been simple, and Ive thankfully evolved over time to staying away from tapered pants (my butt really does not need extra-accentuating ).

If youre trying to build up a wardrobe, I would suggest focusing on colour, shape of the clothes, and style. By style, I mean - is it casual, is it business-like, is it formal, is it something that can be both casual or more classy if you dress it up or down (i.e. accessories, other layers of clothing, etc). With colours, I think its important to know what colours you like, what colours you want in your closet, and what colours look good on you. This might help with coordinating your outfits later on (mixing and matching). And the shape.. its good to know what shape of clothes look good on you. If youve got hips, I hear a straight-legged trouser/jean (one that doesnt hug the knees) helps to create a leaner line. Someone recommended buying mostly solid colours rather than a ton of prints if you are looking to mix and match your wardrobe, and I definitely agree. Also, if you are looking to buy more than just a few items, it might be worth to buy some staples like a nice jacket (not coat, but a jacket - and make sure it fits properly and not too long), a trench coat, accessories like bracelets, necklaces, earrings, purses, watches - these can go a long way in adding that extra something to your look. Also, if I remember correctly, having pockets on the behind will accentuate the behind. I hope this helps, I feel like Im rambling now Good luck and enjoy the experience, I hope you have great fun!!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #15  

I am not building a wardrobe quite yet. Still have another, uh, lot of pounds to go. But I sure hope I know what my style is by the time I get there!!

I need some kind of person to tell me about my best colors and stuff.