Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #1  
EmJ Taylor

S/C/G: 214/209/125

Height: five foot 3

Default cravings are a *****!!!!!!

right now I am craving bread, sugar and anything fattening, ****, i could eat a pot of jam on its own.
What do you do to help stop cravings? this is my usual pattern...
i do really well for a few days or a few weeks.. then BAM...i forget why im on a diet and why im losing weight so i binge...and the cravings drive me mad, i mean i can literally shake from the sugar cravings ((((((((
blah,

can anyone relate?
ps. you should all check out my music if you like lol :P

luv ya
EMJ
emjtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

For me, the best way to eliminate sugar cravings is to just go cold turkey...the first two weeks are hard, and you DO miss the sugar. After that? For the most part, craving freedom.

You might try it, as it could make a big difference, and has done so, for many. In fact, most of the "Induction" phases or first phases of popular diet plans are based on breaking addiction to refined carbs and sweets, because doing so makes it easier to avoid junk in the future.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

What mandalinn said

Cold turkey really is a good way to go. I'm at the end of day four of no chocolate, crisps, sweets, sugar/refined/overly processed foods

It's hard but I'm doing this for a reason... just keep chanting the reason in my head.
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

What Mandalinn said.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

For me, some food definitly send me into a binge... crisps are probably the biggest culprit. My problem also is that if i dont have these foods at all, I also binge!! Im calorie counting, so I just plan for a small pack/bag of something, otherwise to be honest I would go crazy and end up eating everything!! I have several strategies also to help myself when my willpower is at a low ebb, I never ever take cash to work so I cant purchase anything when those 10am munchies strike. Its my apple or nothing!
I also make my other half ( who is 6 ft 3 and slim grrrrr) hide his goodies on a high high shelf, if i want something from that tin i have to get a chair and climb up to get it, usually this delay makes me realise what im doing and put then goody tin back.
I guess for me, it was aknowledging that I am an over eater, that I do eat when im emotionally stressed, and basically putting plans/strategies in place to help. Im sure you could similar things in place for your sugar cravings.
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #6  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

When I get a really intense or prolonged craving, I do 10 to 20 minutes of intense cardio exercise.

I'm not really craving food, I'm craving the "happy" feeling I get while eating food. Intense exercise will release those same endorphins and create the same happy feeling. Anyway, it really works for me, so it might be worth a try.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Oh man, yes, I hate cravings!!

I have the longest list of trigger foods known to man. Sometimes, even HEALTHY foods can turn into trigger foods for me. I will not buy more than one Nature Valley trail mix bar at a time, I can no longer buy a box of Kashi GoLean crunch or I'll never put the box down, I will not buy more than a 1 oz bag of trail mix and if I do, I will portion it all out ahead of time, I cannot have too many flavored light yogurts in the house or I'll eat them all, and of course, you had better keep me FAR away from things like crisps and ice cream, and one time, I even binged on VEGETABLES because I bought this super yummy bleu cheese sauce... yeah, I'm baaaad.

For me, it's all about mind over matter. I have a pretty nice looking body now (conceited? of course ) and I do not want to ruin it. Before, I just kept thinking about how hot I would look if I just stopped being a fatty. The fantasies about shopping wherever and finding something that fits, not having to wear spanx or duct tape on my waist while wearing a dress, being able to wear short skirts and short shorts in public, being able to see my hip bones, and having nice abs were enough to temporarily keep me away from the culinary demons
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #8  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
The fantasies about shopping wherever and finding something that fits, not having to wear spanx or duct tape on my waist while wearing a dress, . . .

oh, the visual on this!

I agree w/what mandalinn said; cutting it all out initially. The first wk or so IS hard but absolutely doable. Once the worst of it is over the intense cravings really do subside. Sometimes when craving something sweet, forcing myself to eat a piece of fruit instead of evil junk food will get rid of the craving. Then I just have to convince myself not to go ahead and eat the evil food anyways.

I like the idea of doing some intense cardio for a short duration to get those good endorphins going. Sometimes easier said than done when you're feeling oinky and sloth-like but once again, its mind-over-matter an awful lot of the time. You know how easy it is to just 'shovel it in without thinkging about it? just doing it?' Try to apply that mindset to doing some cardio instead or automatically eating something better. Don't think about making the better choice, just do it automatically. Sometimes not giving yourself a choice in the matter works. (did that make sense? it did in my head anyways!)

Last edited by Hat Trick; 07-22-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #9  
Back at square one

S/C/G: 218/218/160

Height: 5'7"

My sweet tooth is the devil!

This past weekend, I went a little overboard. I had three donuts, some cinnamin twists from Taco Bell and ice cream from Cold Stone! It was out of control! Luckily, I'm back on track. I'll try to quit cold turkey but for me phasing sweets out slowly is what helps for me.
Bonita Applebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

For me, it's all about biting the bullet and just getting through the craving cold turkey, as many others have said. Normally, if I can make it an hour or so, the craving subsides and I forget about it. It's really just a mental thing, not a physical thing - your body doesn't need the junk, but your mind wants it.

I've gotten into the habit now of telling my husband when I'm having a bad craving, it makes me more accountable. Also, I'll brush my teeth or physically leave the house...take the dogs for a walk or go clothes shopping or something. Distracting myself usually helps.

But in the end, it's just knowing that the craving will pass if I can just hold out. I still lose control sometimes, but I forgive myself and move on. One binge isn't going to "ruin" my whole new way of life and I won't gain back all the weight because of it. But giving in every time I have a craving definitely will!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/213/145

Height: 5'6"

when i buy chips or cookies i divide the whole thing up into serving sizes and put each individual one in a sandwich bag. i write how many calories the serving is on the bag. i only use these bags for when i'm craving something. that way i have the chips, etc. on hand but i keep myself from overeating. i have found that by not eating what i'm craving i end up eating more calories than i would have if i would have just eaten what i was craving. i tend to eat anything but what i'm craving before i finally break down and eat what i'm craving. i try to save 200 calories every other day for when i'm craving something. hope this helps
vblizard8756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #12  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

When I get a craving, I like to dance...if I'm at home that is... if I'm at work, I go for a walk or have a nice big gulp of water. Sometimes that "hungry" feeling is really thirst and the two get mixed up. It's difficult, but doable.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #13  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonita Applebaum View Post
My sweet tooth is the devil!

This past weekend, I went a little overboard. I had three donuts, some cinnamin twists from Taco Bell and ice cream from Cold Stone! It was out of control! Luckily, I'm back on track. I'll try to quit cold turkey but for me phasing sweets out slowly is what helps for me.
Bonita,
If that's you in the picture - Heck, lady, how much more fabulous do you want to get??? I think that should be against the law. You already ARE fabulous!

Last edited by Tomato; 07-23-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 8"

The cravings will stop being as bad, honest. I carry around a travel size mouthwash and do a quick swish if I get the hint of a craving. I usually pick one of those really strong ones that makes my eyes water and numbs my tastebuds. So far, I have yet to find a food that goes well with Listerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
Oh man, yes, I hate cravings!!

Sometimes, even HEALTHY foods can turn into trigger foods for me. ...............I can no longer buy a box of Kashi GoLean crunch or I'll never put the box down,
OMG Shane - I am so excited to know that I'm not the only one who can get sucked into the void by Kashi For me it's their TLC 7 grain crackers. If I'm going to let myself have any, I have to do this big ritual thing with counting them out and putting them on a plate with one wedge of Laughing Cow and sealing the box back up (yes, I actually tape it shut ) One time I tried telling myself I would only have enough to use up one wedge of cheese - you'd be AMAZED at how thin you can slice/spread Laughing Cow - ended up with several handfuls of crackers
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote