South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #1  
slow and steady?

S/C/G: 260/234/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Big Oops- I dont' know if I have to start over (??)

There is a small coffee shop at the place I work that has all sorts of sugar free syrups. I was there asking lots of questions to the server to find out what I could have...

Well as it turns out, I ask for a "chai chiller" that has sugar free (0 cal, 0 carb, 0 everything pretty much) syrup ( I got to see the nutrition label for that), & skim milk blended over Ice.

She then tells me there's this powder that they usually add to it. (She said "but don't worry! It's carb free, sugar free, all that!")

I agreed to have the powder and went merrily on my way sipping this drink that I thought (knew) was too good to be true.

After drinking it...(bad choice) I called the coffee shop's HQ and they told me the powder stuff she put in was basically pure sugar.....

I should have stuck to the sugar free syrup and milk
*sigh*

Anyway, I'm on phase 1, this has been my only cheat/screw up.

Do I have to start over with the first two weeks or just add a day or two of no carbs or just go on and be good and pretend it didn't happen...

It seems to me that consuming that much sugar (it was about 27 grams from what the HQ said) would really throw off the point of phase 1.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #2  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

My personal opinion is to keep going and put it behind you, but I'm not an expert by any means. We all have our lapses and if we had to start over every time, well...
Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

What are you going to do to the coffee server? She needs to know that when she makes mistakes like that, it's serious.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #4  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

Phase 1 is about losing your cravings so I would wait and see if you have any cravings and if not I would just keep going......
Old 07-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #5  

How do you feel? Did it trigger any cravings? If not then forget it. The whole point of phase 1 is to get rid of the cravings and if you are accomplishing that then you are right on target. This is really about how you feel and if you feel ok then don’t give it a second thought. If it trigger a reaction and you all of a sudden lusting after something with refined carbs in it then you may want to give yourself a little more time, even one more day to make sure you have a handle on your cravings.

AND the really good part about this is you shared it with all the rest of us so now we are educated about the Chai Chillers and won’t make the same mistake.

Thank you,
Old 07-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I agree with all the advice the girls have given you. But I would make sure to tell that coffee server just what that powder is. If you were diabetic or had other health problems, she could have really put you in jeopardy!
Listen to your body, and see how you feel. If you feel in control and don't have cravings, then just continue from where you left off. But if you are experiencing cravings, do a few more days of Phase 1.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I'd keep going but i'd stress to the coffee server that it does have sugar. i usually tell folks i can't have sugar are you sure there is no sugar in it, i will get deathly ill from sugar.

you're early enough on... mistakes happen.. just keep going
Old 07-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/120/120

Height: 5 foot 3 inch

Keep going! I had a minor cheat and still lost alot of weight on phase I. Just make sure to tell the server not to make that mistake again. What if you were a diabetic and she put pure sugar into your drink?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #9  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Coffee servers are terrible. I asked for a sugar free caramel machiatto once- then saw that they proceeded to douse the thing in their caramel syrup- I had to stop the guy and explain that all I wanted was the machiatto with the sugar free syrup- not the additional caramel, which was PURE sugar.

Needless to say, now I just stick to my skinny decaf vanilla latte- but oh, how I miss my caramel machiattos.

Especially the machiattos in germany.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #10  
slow and steady?

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm just going to keep going. I wasn't planning on adding too many phase 2 foods next week yet anyway. Just an apple a day or something for the first week and then maybe something a little more the week after that
Old 07-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #11  
slow and steady?

Good news! The following came from an email from the coffee kiosk worker:

"Hi Kelly~

Thanks for the info! I didn’t actually use the chai powder though, that’s what we use for our regular chai chillers. For yours I used the sugar free chai concentrate, and the sugar-free powder. I’m actually expecting a shipment early next week, so at that time I will have the nutrition info for the SF powder. We just throw the bags away when they’re empty, which is why I didn’t have that info when you were there. I’ll let you know when I get that in so you know what’s in it. I’m glad that you liked the drink! )"

Awesome! I didn't cheat
Old 07-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #12  
slow and steady?

She also said thank you for mentioning it because of the possibility that people with health issues might get sick if she was wrong.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #13  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

wow....nice customer service from a coffee kiosk....I get eyerolls when I ask for a couple of ice cubes for my flaming hot tea.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

That was really great that the server took the time to email you with that information!
You have to really watch when you order a coffee drink in most places, and don't ever trust getting exactly what you ordered from a drive-through. I've seen several instances while I was inside our local Dunkin Donuts, where you could hear a customer giving explicit instructions for their coffee, such as nonfat milk and SF syrup or splenda, and the server totally ignored them and used regular milk and sugar. Because of that, I rarely get coffee from DD, but if I do, I go inside and where I can watch them make my drink.

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 07-23-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #15  
slow and steady?

I live in a really small town, so that probably helps. Plus she's basically a coworker- We are both employed by the hospital I work at.
Closed Thread