Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Default Back Squat question

So I braved the squat rack yesterday. The only other thing I had used the bar for was bench presses. For some reason the thing intimidates the **** out of me.

I attempted to do a back squat. I was using an empty bar and the amount of weight and balance were not problems at all. The darn thing sitting on my shoulders was a killer though. I tried moving it around in different spots but it hurt everywhere I put it.

Does everyone use the pad? Or is there a trick I don't know about? I ended up doing my second set of squats with 25# dumbbells because I didn't see the pad laying on the floor under the rack until after I was finished. Is that pain ever going to end? Will I eventually build enough muscle to be able to do them comfortably?
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hey! Congratulations on using the squat rack! I do use the pad when I squat. I've seen others wrap a towel around the middle as well. It's a big metal rod sitting on your back and it feels a little foreign at first.

When you place the bar on your back make certain that you are pulling your shoulders back square as much as you can. Keep you head high, chin slightly up, neck and torso long and gaze fixed straight ahead of you.

There are two positions on your back in which you may place the bar. It's all personal preference. I tend to set the bar lower on my back. Because a picture is worth a thousand words I'll share this with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZ1H...eature=related

Happy squatting.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #3  
Mel

I use a pad too. I'm contemplating buying my own personal pad because the ones at the gym are so smooshed they don't do much good.

I also use gloves. Bruises and calluses aren't a mark of honor, in my book!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #4  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

I would invest in one session with a personal trainer and learn the proper technique otherwise you tend to be wasting your time or you could suffer an injury (which will crimp your weightloss efforts). I see so many people at the gym or at hotel gyms using poor technique and then often they wonder why they aren't getting the results they were expecting. I just paid $25 for my son to have a session at the local Y- so it doesn't have to be expensive but it is well worth it. By the way- way to go wanting to brave the squat rack- I am not there yet. I am just sticking with squats with hand weights or the weighted ball and the leg press.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I do not use the pad. When I set up I roll my shoulders back & square up. Then I sit the bar on my upper back muscle - not on the back of my neck. I find doing it like this without the bar helps me keep my back from rounding forward - which is a bad habit for me.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Thanks for the video Lydia. I was definitely holding it in the high position. I'll try again on Friday with it lower. I don't really wanna use the pad if I can get away with it. My goal is within 3-6 months to be out of the gym and working out at home and the less equipment I have to buy the better.

So far I don't have a need for gloves. As long as I take my rings off I am good to go. Of course, I have just started and I don't lift nearly as heavy as some of you ladies. I might change my mind later.

I still don't know why I am so damn intimidated by the bar. It's just a piece of metal, sigh.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/154.6/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifechange View Post
I would invest in one session with a personal trainer and learn the proper technique otherwise you tend to be wasting your time or you could suffer an injury (which will crimp your weightloss efforts). I see so many people at the gym or at hotel gyms using poor technique and then often they wonder why they aren't getting the results they were expecting. I just paid $25 for my son to have a session at the local Y- so it doesn't have to be expensive but it is well worth it. By the way- way to go wanting to brave the squat rack- I am not there yet. I am just sticking with squats with hand weights or the weighted ball and the leg press.

I agree with you. The first thing I got when I came home for the summer was a gym membership and a trainer. When i joined the gym , I received 3 free sessions for an hour each.

I love the squat machine, but of course i feel so self conscious with my booty sticking out lol.
Sarah Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Perhaps this article will give you a few tips on bar placement.

http://stronglifts.com/squat-bar-position/
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #9  

It hurts a lot less if you can get the bar to flex. I find heavier weights more comfortable than light ones. As you move up in weight, you may be able to wean yourself of using a towel or a pad.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote