Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy What's wrong with me??

I have been doing SO good since 5/3 now all of a sudden all these cravings keep coming at me. I am eating well balanced, I try to keep at 2000 calories a day, though sometimes go over, I've been exercising and biking and these just started HARD last week and are continuing this week.

I'm ok at work, I stick with what I bring to work with me and stray very little but when I get home it's like I just can't stop! Today after work I had 2 bowls of cereal, two small cans of V8 (30 calories each), at least 2 servings of baked lays BBQ chips...maybe a little more, then for dinner I had a veggie burger and I had a serving and a half of mac and cheese....ONE serving alone of just the mac and cheese is 260 calories!

I feel like I'm falling apart and I don't want to go there! Why can't I stop eating or STOP thinking about food CONSTANTLY!

<wanting to go cry>
Jennifer
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/218/175

Height: 5' 10"

Default No pain no gain

You have understand that you will need suffer a little to reach your goal. Be tough!!!
david brinklely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #3  
vanity0326

S/C/G: 257/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Default Your Motto

While I am not the best person to give advice on what works, as I am in my own struggle and haven't lost over 15 pounds in the years I have been thinking about losing weight. . . I read your post and felt your struggle. And then I read your motto

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.”

Excellent.
vanity0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Do not give up ! You can do this !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #5  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

could you give us an idea of what your 2000 calories consist of, on average? like what do you usually eat in a day. it may be that your just not getting enough fiber or protien. it could be you arent getting enough water, maybe you just need to tweak a few things.

for me, if i don't get enough fruits and veggies, protien and fiber, i get cranky and start craving things i wouldn't normally.

hang in there, we can figure this out.
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I spread out my calories through the day, I am a grazer by nature so I keep it to many small things starting at 5:50 everymorning my food goes in this order:

5:50 - coffee, black
1 serving oatmeal, 50% less sugar (instant, 120 calories)
1 banana, Med.
1 granola bar (90 calorie one)
9:00 - 1 lite yogurt (100 calorie one)
10:00 - 1 apple, Med.
12:00 - bowl of soup (progresso, 60-100 calories)
1 salad (spinach, romaine, tomato, radish, bean sprouts, garbanzo beans and cucumbers with home made basalmic vinegrette dressing)
1 string cheese
either a low cal sandwhich or a serving of grain crackers
1 multi vitamin
2:00 - 1 banana, Med
some low cal popcorn if I start getting munchies
4:00 - home and where the trouble begins
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #7  
Tiff

i don't see much protien, are you vegan? some protien in the salad and cheese. not much though.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hey Jennifer -

First off, there is NOTHING wrong with you. One of the things about losing weight is, to do it, you have to eat less than your body actually burns. So if you're not careful, you can get hungry or start craving things, and that can be a real issue for staying on plan.

Second, and remember this well - no one stays on plan 100% of the time. Even a slip up (small or large) doesn't make anything wrong with you. Your new motto - if you slip up, just get right back on plan and move on. Much less stressful, and a healthier attitude overall.

Now, onto your food plan - there are definitely some tweaks you could make that might make a big difference for you hunger and craving-wise.

First - protein! Protein and fiber, together, can help you stay full longer. So I try to get a combination of the two in every meal and snack, starting with breakfast, and all the way through dinner. I know that Quaker makes a lower sugar oatmeal called "Weight Control" that also has some added protein - combine that with another high protein item (like a hardboiled egg, or a carton of sugar free yogurt), and you've got something that'll keep you full for hours. Plain oatmeal, without the protein, isn't going to do you the same favors for your appetite...especially paired with a sugary granola bar...that's setting you up for hunger and cravings all day. Get some protein in there!

What about protein in your snacks? Could you have a carton of greek yogurt (super good protein source!) with some berries? What about a low carb, 50 cal tortilla with some turkey and veggies inside? There are lots of protein options out there, and you should try a few and see what works for you.

I also think that eating a bit heavier lunch might be good for you...you really want to have 2/3 of your calories for the day (or more!) already eaten by dinnertime. Lots of people try to "save up" calories during the day for a big dinner, but that usually results in lots of hunger, which can make good choices really difficult to make...you end up snacking on junk while waiting for dinnertime to roll around.

One final tip - get as many veggies into that menu as is humanly possible. Lots of volume and fiber for a very low calorie cost.

That being said, at a certain point, cravings happen...even if we're eating a good balance of foods, we may have a taste for things that aren't on plan. At that point, you have a decision to make - either indulge in a small amount, or choose not to eat it. Ultimately, despite hunger, cravings, and whatever else, what we put in our mouths is under our own control. Take the tips above and tweak your plan to minimize your hunger, then make a commitment to stay on plan.

You can do this!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #9  

I would add in more protein and increase the time between meals to 3 hours.

IMO, it looks like you are eating many carb sources and you're not leaving enough time in between them. I suspect that you aren't giving your body enough time to burn off what you are consuming. It is thought that consuming carbs in that manner may cause you to store the excess as fat.

Also, you need a little more protein. I believe that's why you crave and consume so many carbs after you get home. I'd consider adding a good fatty protein source, like nuts or seeds, as your evening snack.

Last edited by cmichele1974; 07-24-2008 at 05:15 PM.
cmichele1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #10  
Tiff

thanks mandalinn! always helpful!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 174/160/145

Height: 5'5"

Yes, I have the same issue. My problem is the afternoon when my son is napping...I've figured out that I'm not giving myself enough calories and protein before that time so I am starving by the time I eat. Then, I just eat everything I can and blow my diet!

Also, the obsession with food is hard to deal with. Do you have any mindless foods you can eat, like celery and just shove it in your mouth until the urge passes?

Of course, I can give you this advice and not follow it myself.
bluebrie is offline   Reply With Quote