Old 07-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/252.0/150

Height: 5'7

Unhappy My bike has won the first battle

DH bought me a bicycle yesterday. It's so pretty and nice. I couldn't wait to get on it and ride.

When I was young and fit, I rode my bike everyday. I had an awesome BMX bike with a plastic seat. YEP, it was plastic and hard as a rock, but my little butt did not mind at all. There was a dirt track I took my bike to with all sorts of jumps and dips. And man, I could spin out like you wouldn't believe.(yes, this fat chick is a former tom-boy )

Now I knew yesterday getting on my new bike that I was a) not fourteen anymore and b) not 111 pounds anymore. I did, I knew this, but I was so disappointed anyway.

Ya'll I could barely ride. I was so wobbly, like I had just learned. I kept telling DH something wasn't right, the bike didn't fit right. IT WAS ME! My kids kept saying, "come on, ride down the driveway with us". So I finally did and that's when it hit me. As I was pumping my legs up and down they were bumping into my tummy. No wonder I couldn't ride.

It's alright though. That new bike better get use to me. I'm gonna keep riding it till my thighs don't smack into my stomach. It'll take some time, I know, a long time, but I will.
Kelleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #2  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

You'll conquer that bike in no time! I know first-hand how frustrating it is to try something we used to love and find that we're not as good at it as we used to be. When I was a kid I rode all over the place too, and nowadays when I get on the bike it's a struggle. But you're doing it anyway, and that's the important thing.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #3  
FB

Congratulations! Biking is wonderful! I wouldn't have lost my 85 pounds this year without it.

Yeah, my stomach hit my legs too. It made a horrendous noise and was even a more horrendous feeling. I tried adjusting the bike, getting a different bike - but it was me. I stuck with it and my stomach no longer even comes close to doing that, not a chance.

Just mere months ago I wobbled too. I now blast past my husband and friends, they just can't keep up. I ride every single day. If the weather sucks I hop on the stationary. I've gone from going around the neighborhood to doing a 50 mile ride pretty easily.

That bike WILL get used to you! It won't take long at all before you and your bike are the best of friends.

Yay! I'm so happy for you riding!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #4  
FB

PS- YOU won the first battle! You got on that bike and did it! Kelleigh 1- Bike 0.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You'll get it! After a couple weeks when you get your bike legs and your butt isn't sore anymore, you'll have a great time!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 232/230/130

Congrats for taking that first step!! I'm getting a bike soon too, I'm nervous but I think it will be a positive change for me.
AquaPlumeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #7  
No description available.

You won the first battle! You got on and stayed on and will get on again! Fantastic! We have a little bicycling thread in Exercise Forum and we'd love to see you there!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

Practice makes perfect. I hurt myself last month riding my bike. The pedal fell off as I was pushing off and I didn't know it, hurt my wrist and now how a huge scar on my knee. I felt like I was 12 again.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #9  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

You definitely won the first battle!! From my experience, get a comfy seat and take it in small steps. I started out to the end of the driveway, to the end of my street and now I can make it all the way around the block. Every week or so I push myself alittle more
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #10  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

You have the right attitude!!
I love my bike, I ride trails for 30-40 min whenever I can and the time just flies by- just being outside and looking at the greenery, streams, flowers- it doesn't seem like hard work even though my HR is up there. Love it!!
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

I am sitting here laughing my butt off. I had the same experience only I didn't make it down the driveway, I stayed in the garage since I did so horrible. I parked the bike and haven't got back on again. After reading all the comments......me and that bike will go around and around until I win. I had visions of riding down the street with the wind blowing my hair and feeling the freedom.....reality can bite at times. Thanks so much for the inspiration to try try again.
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 270/252.0/150

Height: 5'7

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement.

I didn't ride very long the other day, but man is my tush sore.
But I'm proud to be sore
Kelleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #13  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

The sore butt will go away if you ride for short periods each day. Kinda like breaking in new shoes. Another option might be a gel seat or bike shorts.

on getting out there. It will get easier. pretty soon your kids will be behind you yelling "wait up, Mom"!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

You will get it. Congrats on getting a bike. You'll love it!!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 256/240/140

i'm so glad you posted this. my sister bought me a bike a few years ago and i had the same problem. I think i made it around the block before i gave up. I ended up giving the bike away. But i think i will buy a new one and stick it out this time!
PenChick is offline   Reply With Quote