South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/216/150

Height: 5'3"

Question Moving to Phase II, Margarine, and Coffee Creamer

First of all, I want to thank you all for your help. I have come back time and time again to this website to search for answers while I was going through Phase I. Saturday would have been 2 weeks of Phase I. I was doing so well, but ran into a few obstacles. Let's just say that I was off plan for the past 4 days. Hubby and I went to a marriage seminar where meals were included. We tried to stay on plan as much as possible given the circumstances, but we couldn't starve. So we were not completely done with Phase I yet. He had a great loss however! He lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks. I only lost 7 and after being off plan for 4 days, I gained 3 so that gave me a grand total of 4 pounds on Phase I. Would you all suggest that I stay on Phase I for an additional 4 days or just move on to Phase II and incorporate fruit and grains slowly as per your recommendations?

I am confused about margarine and coffee creamer. I checked the SB book out but have returned it to the library as my time was up, including renewals. We have a tub of Country Crock in the fridge which has no trans fat. I understand that we can have a little bit of fat as long as it is not trans fat. Is this correct?

And after researching the net and this site, it sounds to me like we can have up to 2 tbsp of fat free half and half per day. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I think losing 4 lbs., even while going off-plan on Phase 1, is still commendable! Congratulations to both you and your DH! As far as doing a few more days of Phase 1, I think that would depend on whether you are experiencing any cravings. Phase 1 is used to detox and eliminate all your cravings for sweets and bad carbs. If you feel you have them under control, then go ahead with Phase 2. Read the sticky on how to proceed into Phase 2 in our FAQ section. It will explain how to slowly introduce fruit and grains into your menu.

Powdered coffee creamers are no-nos, as they contain chemicals and HFCS, but you can enjoy FF half & half. I think the Country Crock margarine is fine, too, since it doesn't contain trans fats.

Good luck on your continued success!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

As a question with hers...

I thought I remembered looking at the label for the FF 1/2 and 1/2, and it had a lot of words I didn't know....so I put it back. Doesn't it have sugar or HFCS too?

I've stuck to skim milk myself (oh, yippee...) because it looked like the FF stuff was a bit bizarre...
Old 07-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #4  

Thank you cottage. And thank you for the congrats on the 4 lbs. It made me feel so much better after I read your reply. That is still something to be proud of. I felt like it was an uphill battle and I was disappointed that I didn't lose more. But it is okay. Slowly but surely, I will reach my goal!

TwynnB: I will check the ingredients before purchasing FF half and half. I tried skim milk but couldn't bring myself to drink it. It just does not taste good at all to me!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:33 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You could try to evaporated skim milk - it's more like half and half.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

oh....evaporated skim milk sounds good!

And congrats on the weight loss! I only lost 5 lbs, and I didn't cheat at all!!!

Good luck!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #7  

I don't use the FF Half & Half myself, but I do know that we're allowed to use it. Since I've never bought it, I never checked the ingredients. Perhaps the amounts of HFCS and other additives are minimal enough to make it acceptable? It must be like the FF Cool Whip. We're allowed that, but it contains HFCS and other chemicals, too. It can be confusing, but I guess that's why we're only allowed a small amount.

I've been using unsweetened almond milk in my coffee, and I really like it. But then, I like skim milk in my coffee, too.

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 07-21-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #8  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea View Post
I think losing 4 lbs., even while going off-plan on Phase 1, is still commendable! Congratulations to both you and your DH! As far as doing a few more days of Phase 1, I think that would depend on whether you are experiencing any cravings. Phase 1 is used to detox and eliminate all your cravings for sweets and bad carbs. If you feel you have them under control, then go ahead with Phase 2. Read the sticky on how to proceed into Phase 2 in our FAQ section. It will explain how to slowly introduce fruit and grains into your menu.

Powdered coffee creamers are no-nos, as they contain chemicals and HFCS, but you can enjoy FF half & half. I think the Country Crock margarine is fine, too, since it doesn't contain trans fats.

Good luck on your continued success!
it may say NO trans fat per serving but if it has partially hydrogenated oils in it it's a no go....
Old 07-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 148/133/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea View Post
I don't use the FF Half & Half myself, but I do know that we're allowed to use it. Since I've never bought it, I never checked the ingredients. Perhaps the amounts of HFCS and other additives are minimal enough to make it acceptable? It must be like the FF Cool Whip. We're allowed that, but it contains HFCS and other chemicals, too. It can be confusing, but I guess that's why we're only allowed a small amount.

I've been using unsweetened almond milk in my coffee, and I really like it. But then, I like skim milk in my coffee, too.

I like almond milk too, would it count towards your nuts serving??? thanks!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #10  

I count the amount of almond milk that I use as 1/2 of my daily peanuts allowance. Keep in mind if you are using almond milk that it does have a tiny amount of tapioca starch in it.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #11  

ok, thanks! maybe i will just stick to skim milk, ff half and half for now. i am at a stall with my weight loss.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #12  

I've been using Nonfat dry milk to replace the creamer in my coffee. I have to make the coffee lighter then I would with creamer so I count it as my dairy for the day I don't drink that much coffee but I rrreally make it light, probably like coffee in my milk more then milk in my coffee). It took a little while to get use to it but now I enjoy it as much as I do the creamer.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #13  

I got some unsweetend vanilla soymilk today to give a whirl!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:27 AM   #14  

well i bought that ff half and half and i'm quite pleased with it. i will have to try some almond milk and unsweetened vanilla soymilk soon. thanks for the suggestions.
Closed Thread