Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 308/306.4/?

Height: 5'9"

Default Thigh exercises for you-know-what? Don't want to offend!

Hi! I have a question. I've read the threads about not being able to isolate fat burning, etc. in just one part of the body, but my question is a little more specific. I don't want to offend anyone, but I'm hoping some of you have suggestions.

I am currently at 308#, down from an all-time high of 365. I will post my story when I am comfortable sharing it, but...well, okay, out with it.

I've never had sex in the "cowgirl" position.

Okay, I said it. (blushing furiously)

I am 31. I have been in a monogamous relationship for 11 years, married to him for 8, and am currently in the beginning of a divorce battle-royale. In all of our years together, I was obese and unable to get "on top". He was obese, too, and our bellies just weren't having any of it. I was very embarrassed about his view of my body from that position, and we tried once and it was so awkward (umm, I fell OFF OF HIM and laughed until I was weeping and then couldn't stop crying...not pretty...) that we never tried again.

Now, I have plenty of self-esteem issues and personal hang-ups, but what I came to the Fitness section for was to ask this:

For my future happiness (lol!) what types of exercises can I do to strengthen my inner and outer thighs specifically?

I want to be able to lift and move myself with a partner, should I ever get the nerve to be seen naked again.

Any suggestions? I'm in the exercise-newbie phase, but I'll take whatever you've got in the way of advice.

Thanks!!!!! I'm going to go cry now. lol
Phatgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I go walking and jogging every day for the last four months. I have noticed a huge difference in my leg strength. People say you can't spot reduce, but the weight has just melted off of my legs. Also, squats are wonderful and you don't have to belong to a gym to do them.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Squats and lunges and stepups for your legs specifically. But also concentrate on core (both front and back core) muscles - crunches, planks, etc.

Because it's not just your inner and outer thighs that you need to tone to support yourself that way. It's your knees, your hips, and your core that all work when you're supporting yourself on top.

Oh, and BTW, no need to be embarrassed or afraid you'll offend. I'll be quite open that having better sex is a HUGE HUGE HUGE benefit and motivator for losing weight and getting in shape for me. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 07-21-2008 at 12:11 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:16 AM   #4  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Yoga is a great leg strengthener, the lunges make your thighs stronger and toned. Pilates work out your legs,I usually power walk and jog that helps too.
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I used to be great at being on top (before I had surgery on my femur) and my legs were very strong from just walking and doing aerobics. I tried again after I was healed from my surgery, but after nearly 9 months of no exercise, my legs/core were very weak, and I didn't last very long. They're getting stronger now, but I haven't tried it again. I know the guys love it, but my legs and other muscles just aren't up for it.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Bicycling! You get wicked strong thigh muscles. Squats are good too.
Don't be embarrassed! I'm still too modest to do you-know-what with the lights on, and I've been dating/married to DH for 4 years! I'll get there someday
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 281/251/165

Height: 5'6

I hate seeing myself naked, so I agree with the person who said the thing about better sex is a good motivator! lol I've got great legs now for an overweight person, very strong. I walk A LOT, and bike.. They're both great.. I generally walk fast because I can't stand people, who walk slow, so I guess any walking is better then none. Do a 30 min walk everyday and give it some time, you'll notice the muscles starting to build up. Best of luck!
albertagirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #8  
FB

What about plies? I think they're great for building up some leg muscle. You don't need the dumbbells to start.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #9  
KAR

Have you tried any of the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos or dvd's? She does a great job of working all your muscles during the walks. She has several different programs you can do. I have noticed this summer that I have toned up my legs and thighs, just from doing her WATP's dvd/viedos for atleast 30 mintues to 45 minutes a day. She is very easy to follow a long with. Hope this helps you. Best of luck on your journey!
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #10  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post

Oh, and BTW, no need to be embarrassed or afraid you'll offend. I'll be quite open that having better sex is a HUGE HUGE HUGE benefit and motivator for losing weight and getting in shape for me. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

I second that!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I second squats and lunges to really kick the strength up a notch but running and Spin classes have also worked wonders...my BF has a thing for me being "on top"...so I have definitely noticed the difference lol.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #12  
Uggg... I goofed again.

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for posting this. I think a LOT of us were thinking the same thing.
sassybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #13  

Yep....I bet ALOT of us wanted to ask but we were to ! I definitely looke forward to it! I should be fine at it....when I get to 199!!!
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #14  
Workin' It

I've found that the 'bridge' pose in yoga (I think that is what it is called at least) has helped a lot - it is done lying on the floor, but I can feel it pull those same muscles I use in other ways... a lot of yoga strengthens the upper legs, actually...

Plus ab & core exercises most definitely. There is one that Amy Dixon does on her 'ab & back workout' called the 'reverse curl' - I'll try to find a picture of that and post it... the legs are in what she calls a 'figure 4' - basically pull the two knees up like you used to do sit ups in high school, with your feet flat on the floor and your knees bent. Bring one leg up, pointing the toes straight up to the ceiling, then bring the foot down and lay the ankle across your other leg just below the knee - makes your legs look kind of like an upside down 4 from your perspective. Pick the foot that is flat on the floor up and hold it up in the air, not straight out or anything, just raised off the floor. Then, use small hip lifts to lift both legs into the air, you can combine the upper body and crunch chest and shoulders up towards the knees as well. I know I didn't describe that well at all, but according to DH he has noticed a lot of difference in my flexibility and muscle strength down there lately... Including in muscles I didn't really realize were being strengthened by elliptical training and exercise and such... Hmm...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 AM   #15  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Phat
Don't be embarrassed about wanting great sex and it being one of the reasons to lose weight. All of us want the same thing even if we have never said so lol. I happen to use Leslie Sansone walking/aerobic videos. 1 to 10 miles a day. My calf's are now rock hard and my thighs are really getting into shape and very strong. It all came from those videos. They really do a good job of working all parts of the body. When you do these vidoes you are not only walking, oh no that is the easy part, you do knee lifts, kick back and a few other things.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-11-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote