Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Default Excited about working out again!

I've hit a rut lately and been really slacking off going to the gym. I went tonight and it happened that they have an amazing personal trainer there, whose appointment never showed up! So I was just chatting-not realizing he was the one I'd heard so much about--and he offered me their time! For free! I've always thought personal trainers were a luxury I could do without but I worked harder than I ever have in my life! There were times I was sure I was done and somehow ended up working through it and pushing myself 3 times harder than I knew was possible! He gave me an incredibly reasonable rate (45/hour instead of 80) and while it's still a big stretch on my budget I'm going twice a week for the next 2ish weeks then down to once per week. Does anyone else have a trainer? Do you think you get results any faster or is it about the same? As much as I loved (and hated lol) it tonight, I feel like it'll be an excellent motivator to get to the gym, much harder to push it off knowing I'd lose $45, I'd like to eventually get to the point where I can go once every 2 weeks or so for a refresher and be able to push myself equally hard as he does. Does this sound feasible?
vmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm so happy for you about your great workouts! Personal trainers (who are good) are a great motivator. They push you that extra step that will make you see results even faster. Right now, I do a bootcamp with a trainer, but since it's a class, it costs $15.00 for twice a week. I push myself very hard on my own, but I like to do this class becasue I do things there that I wouldn't normally do and change is good for the body....you gotta keep it guessing for maximum results. Keep it up!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Does anyone else have a trainer? Do you think you get results any faster or is it about the same? As much as I loved (and hated lol) it tonight, I feel like it'll be an excellent motivator to get to the gym, much harder to push it off knowing I'd lose $45, I'd like to eventually get to the point where I can go once every 2 weeks or so for a refresher and be able to push myself equally hard as he does. Does this sound feasible?
That's awesome - I'm thrilled for you.

I don't have a trainer now, but last year I worked with one for about 8 months. I have to say it was the BEST money I spent ever.

It did push me harder than I've ever been pushed and I saw the most amazing results from it. I'd love to go back and do it again but right now finances are a little tight.

Even so ... I learned so much from my trainer and he helped me not be afraid of weights, machines, and a whole bunch of stuff. So even now I can push myself harder than I would have been able to if I hadn't had the experience with him.

Definitely worth it!!!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Thanks! It's definitely not in the budget but after just once session I really do feel it will be worth it. How often did you go for the 8 months? Did you see results faster with one than on your own?
I already have learned a lot from him, and while the weights and machines don't intimidate me--I used to be a gym rat years ago, I'm really excited to learn some new exercises and shake things up a bit!
vmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I went 2x a week for the first several months and then 1x a week after that.

I saw amazing differences when workign with him, yeah. Much faster than when I was working on my own.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #6  
FB

I lovelove my trainer.

I definitely believe I've seen results faster, as I had NO clue what I was doing the first time I stepped into the gym. I also think I work harder for her. When she's encouraging me by telling me how strong I am I do try harder, give it every ounce of strength I didn't know was there.

She's a real motivator too. Absolutely no excuses not to go when she's at the gym waiting for me. She also lives directly across the street from me, so she knows everything!

It is expensive at two and three times per week, but absolutely worth every penny. It's the best money I've spent for fitness, besides my beloved bikes.

I've been seeing her regularly for about two months. I do go to the gym now without her, but still use her on a very regular basis of about 2 times per week currently.

Congrats on taking this step! It's soooo worth it and there's something about strength training that's pleasantly addictive.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote