Old 07-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #1  
Starting over Spring 2011

Height: 5'10"

Red face Just doing it (and question about weighing)

Hi, everyone,

I am still here and have started "just doing it" on my weight loss journey. I have just decided to use the WW points system my own way, and just take it one day at a time. It is hard, but it is the only way I am going to get anywhere. I am making the healthiest choices I can and sticking to the points the best I can no matter what.

I have a question about weighing myself. I have not weighed myself for awhile---I may very well be above my highest weight in my signature. I did ask my husband to weigh me about three weeks ago and then again in another week. I asked him not to tell me the number for now. I HATE weighing/scales and seeing the numbers. It has caused a lot of upset in the past. When I tried WW last year, I did get myself somewhat used to seeing the numbers, but now I am very anxious again. I know I need to know eventually, but am scared to take the initial step. If I see a high number, I know I will be so upset. Any ideas? Thank you so much.
tkdkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Well - as far as the numbers go, the weight you see will be the highest it will ever be, right? I think better to do it now, than to see the number in a couple months and then be depressed if it was way higher than you expected, even if you lost a good amount of weight in that time. But, that's just me

And this part:
Quote:
I have just decided to use the WW points system my own way, and just take it one day at a time.
That's the way to do it! Each day gets you closer and closer to goal.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #3  
started 1/28/08

I would just get on the scale, face the number and get it over with.

I can totally sympathize with your reluctance to do this, since I have had the same feelings . . . but at least for me, facing the consequences of off-plan periods is an important part of making getting back on plan stick.

In the past, when I knew I'd gained back some weight but had decided to get back on plan, I told myself that I'd wait a few weeks to weigh-in until I'd dropped back down some. Because I didn't face the number on the scale, being back on plan just wasn't as real for me, and I drifted off and on plan again and again . . . until I put all 80 pounds back on.

Last edited by Merksie; 07-14-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Merksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Just get on the scale and record it and don't weigh again for two weeks you should see results. Weighing too often can be frustrating. But when you see results a great motivator.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would definitely get on the scale.

I also have scale issues. My weight has stalled a few times throughout my weight loss and it is always around certain 'trigger' points. I'm at a trigger point now which is why I've been fluctuating up and down 10 lbs for the past 8 months.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #6  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I agree with others here that seein gthat weight go down can be a great motivator (and seeing it go up can be an important reality check!) but if you can't face the scale then try this - find a ring or a bracelet that fits tightly (not so tightly to cut off circulation of course) and as it fits less snuggly you'll know you're heading in the right direction.

I have a bracelet with an inspirational phrase on it so when I'm tempted by junk food I get some instant support from that, too.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I would at least get a starting weight so when you do decide to look at the scale it won't be a shock since you would have nothing to compare it to ya know?
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #8  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

I started off like you and did not want to weigh myself at first. I did not want to see that number. Within a week I changed my mind and faced up to it. I thought it might be harder to know that I am losing weight and then get on a scale and see a number that I wasn't expecting. Take the hit at the beginning so you don't risk getting demotivated a few weeks or months into it when you see your real weight.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #9  
Starting over Spring 2011

Thank you so much, everyone. I have been doing well with my eating plan. I think I am going to weigh in on Saturday and actually face the number. Yikes! I am really nervous. I wish I wasn't so affected by the numbers, but I am. Hopefully I will at least see I am losing again. Wish me luck!
tkdkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #10  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

The scale is not the true measure of healthy weight. How you feel, how your clothes fit, what you see in the mirrors are far more important. The scale is just a number. For most it is a motivator, but not everyone is the same. Many have lost weight without ever stepping on a scale.

Seems to me that you have a great way around it if you think it could set you back. Your husband can continue to record your progress until you are ready to face the number...if ever. Or he can let you know how much your weight has changed at each weigh in if that helps you more than knowing a current number.

Good luck,

D
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/240/140

Height: 5'2"

I don't like the scales either. In my case, i measure myself every two or three weeks to see my progression and (nerdy me) I have a spreadsheet and chart on my computer to show how i am progressing. I like seeing how the numbers get smaller. I don't like to rely on the scale because just because i weigh a certain number doesn't mean that most of it is fat, it might actually be muscle one day. hope this helps.
PenChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #12  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

I weigh myself every Saturday morning soon as I wake up, oh and go potty! hee hee. I too have issues with the scale. I step on regardless of how my prior week went. It's hard to see when the numbers go up, but so thrilling when they go down. As other posters have mentioned, the scale isn't the true barometer on your weight loss journey. Use it as a tool, but don't completely rely on it for your positive feedback. Just think when you jump on the scale this Saturday, I will be doing the same thing. Thousands of people will be doing it also, you are not alone!

You can do it!
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Kathy,

Why weight yourself? That's just a number, if you find it upsetting don't do it. Find some other measure that gives you a meaningful read, for instance try measurements, clothes etc.

Also, if you absolutely feel that you must weigh, you don't have to do it weekly, just do it once a month.

Alternatively, there is nothing wrong with having your husband track your weight and only give you the relative number. I know my scale is out of whack, and decided that having the doctor give me a different number would be too depressing/upsetting. I'm weighed there, but I ask not to be told the number, only the change. (I don't know what their scale says, I only know how much different I am since I have started.)

Don't get hung up on "needing to know" unless it serves some positive purpose.

Good luck
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote