General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #1  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Default I Was So Embarrassed, I Almost Cried..

I was in a sports shoe store today trying on several pairs of walking shoes. I was 'finally' approached by a sales person (A guy about 40) and I asked him I he had 'those' in a 10. He said no, sorry... So I asked him if he had 'those' in a ten, and he said NO, but I've got a couple of empty boxes you can wear... I was stunned by the comment how RUDE ! but I fought back tears and left... I'm so sick of feeling like I need to defend the size of my body, and now the size of my feet .. (this isn't the 1st time someone has commented on my size 10's..) some people are so rude !! For sometime now I thought size 10's were getting to be 'more normal'.... but I'm curious now, what size shoe do you wear ???
~Caroline~
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

People say senseless, inappropriate things all the time. Customer service isn't often what it should be!!!

I wear a size 10.

We have to special order DH's shoes. They are a size 2 1.

That's right. TWENTY ONE.

He has stories to tell about comments on feet, let me tell you!

EVERY DAY someone says something.

So, I relate, both for myself and my DH.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Let me guess... were you at a Big 5? I've never had a good experience there and they don't carry many sizes and they don't carry wides either.

I happen to wear a size 9, but my sister wears an 11 and my best friend wears a 10, so I hardly think your feet are out of the normal range. People can be so rude sometimes!

Last edited by zenor77; 07-17-2008 at 07:06 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #4  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I'm a size 9.5 in New Balance (D width) and usually a 10 or even 11 in everything else. I'm so sorry you got treated badly! Some people are just jerks.

I've had good experiences with ordering from Zappos, it's great if you know your shoe size and shipping is free (even if you need to return the shoes for a different size).
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I am so sorry you had to deal with an idiot. I wear a size 9.5 or 10...depending on the brand and the way the shoe is cut. If I was with you, I would have told him that apparently they don't give an IQ test to work there because he would never make it! I also would have told him, "Oh, your name is ___ ? Ok, I'm going to go look for your manager. Have a nice day!" But of course, I always think of the best things to say after the fact! Anyway, as I once heard Oprah say (or someone on her show): if you're angry at someone it's like drinking their poison...or something to that effect. Let it go and be glad to know that you are surrounded by good people here and that guy is not a good person and eventually, it will catch up to him...if it hasn't already. Hugs to you!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 8"

The term *Customer Service* has become an oxymoron........And that clerk was just a plain moron.

I'm sorry you had to take that kind of verbal abuse
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

I'm anywhere from a size 9 to a size 11. that is soo rude, You should complain to the manager of that store.

JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

What an idiot! It's not too late if you want to act. I would call or go back and talk to a manager. It's not ok that he treated you like that. When you talk to the manager tell them that you will tell everyone you know about your experience here if the situation is not dealt with. You can work your way up the food chain too if you're not satisfied with what the manager has done.

I wear a 10 1/2 to 11 and I've never had anyone comment on my feet. The fact that guy is 40 and has no manners says a lot about him.

I was just thinking, a lot of the women I know have a size 10 foot. It's not that uncommon at all.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

I wear a size 9 1/2 to 10 and my family teases me about my big feet, but I'm tall so they kind of make sense... And I don't mind my family teasing me, but a salesperson certainly shouldn't!

I think you should complain about that person, but if it's a chain store you should try to find out who the district manager is and complain to them. If you complain to the store manager, they could be close because they work together, and they might just laugh it off. If you complain to someone higher up, that guy might actually be punished in some way, and he should!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #10  

Just a jerk! Most likely poking at you because he feels inadequate about himself in some way. I can be up to a 10 these days because I wear orthotics. I was a 7-1/2 to 8 most of my life, then got heavier, and then the orthotics take up space. Hard to find women's shoes in that size that are not the on-sale leftovers. I need to find a better place than the local sporting goods stores as well. Good luck and try not to give those bozos power over you.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #11  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyG View Post
that is soo rude, You should complain to the manager of that store.
I agree.

If it's a chain, write a letter to corporate.

Don't get too deeply into how emotional you got or how upset it made you. Simply state what it is the clerk said to you and how they lost a customer--and many more where that came from, since you have told people about the horrible customer service experience you had there--and you hope it's not the corporation's policy to allow its employees to behave that way.

Note when it happened so they can identify the clerk and reprimand him/put this in his incident file. If he's had other, similar complaints and warnings, he will be fired.

Sorry, but I see no call for treating people that way. He probably thinks he is soooooo funny and clever. Nope. He's sad. And he needs to be made aware that customers will not stand for being treated that way. His bosses need to be made aware that that sort of thing is happening, too.

And if he IS the boss, well, I guess that's just a store you will choose never to visit again. :\ Not a "big win," there, but it's something.

Finally:
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #12  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

I wear 9.5W - 10W ladies or size 8 mens since I was 12. It's such a pain.

Sorry to hear about that guy - what a dipsh*t

Last edited by tamaralynn; 07-17-2008 at 07:41 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I wholeheartedly agree about complaining to the manager. A 10 is not a freakish size, and even if it WERE, there would be no excuse for the clerk acting that way.

I don't know whether the guy thought he was "Al Bundy," but this is real life, not a sitcom, and no matter how pitiful his life is, he had no right to take it out on you, and it certainly isn't funny.

I wear a 9 to a 10, and I've NEVER, NEVER, NEVER been treated so rudely regarding my shoe size. With athletic shoes, in particular, the guy was a complete moron. Not only would many of the women's size come in a size 10, a woman's 10 is about a man's 8, and many of the women's and men's sizes are identical or very close in styling. So, if he couldn't find what you wanted in a size 10, he almost certainly could have found a very similar style in a man's size 8. The guy was not only RUDE, but STUPID because I'm guessing he gets paid on commision. He passed up on an opportunity to make you happy and put money in his pocket, instead he chose to be an ***insert expletive of your choice here ***.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #14  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here we go again View Post
What an idiot! It's not too late if you want to act. I would call or go back and talk to a manager. It's not ok that he treated you like that. When you talk to the manager tell them that you will tell everyone you know about your experience here if the situation is not dealt with. You can work your way up the food chain too if you're not satisfied with what the manager has done.

I wear a 10 1/2 to 11 and I've never had anyone comment on my feet. The fact that guy is 40 and has no manners says a lot about him.

I was just thinking, a lot of the women I know have a size 10 foot. It's not that uncommon at all.
I agree

my gf has an 11. it's hard for her too

DH wears a 15DDD i get it.

but he needs to be reported.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 281/251/165

Height: 5'6

I wear a size 9, sometimes a 9.5 depending on the size of shoe. My sister is a 10 - 10.5! So don't feel bad. That guy was jus being an @S$! Not all sales people are like him. xox
albertagirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote