South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/120/120

Height: 5 foot 3 inch

Default South Beach and body fat?

Anyone have their bodyfat measured before and after the SB diet? I am asking because I feel like this diet is high in fat (I track my calories on fitday). I don't really eat many nuts (maybe 10 almonds every other day), I only have the low-fat cheeses once a day and I usually eat chicken breast or tilapia. It still seems like the percentage of calories from fat is high.

In the past I used to keep to a lower-fat and lower-sugar diet and my body fat was 14-16% (even when I weighed 138). That may have been due to all the running and weight lifting I did at that time but I am not sure.

Please let me know because I don't want to weigh less and have a higher percentage of body fat than I do now. I want to be lean and muscular.
thunderbegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #2  
M&M Addict

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Height: 5'5"

There is a difference between good fats and bad fats. Recent studies (which I would link if I had enough posts in) have found that people are healthier following Mediterranean and SB diet, compared to people that follow low fat or low calorie diets. They have better blood pressure, cholesterol, etc., and can lose some weight and maintain their new weight.

As long as you follow the recommended items, which are the low or free fat dairy products, and lean meats, canola and olive oils, and beans and nuts, then you are consuming healthy fats.

I'm sure someone else will have a better, more in-depth response, but that's my two cents.
WhiteRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I've only been following SB since January, but I'm having my body fat tested in a couple weeks for a health screen at work. I am very curious to see what it is. Part of my problem though is lack of consistent exercise, especially strength training. I do think that is the way to add muscle, paired with a healthy diet.

I have checked my menus a few times and I come out with about 25% fats, whereas when I was counting calories, I was usually only taking in about 10%fat. Daily I use almonds or almond butter in the morning, 2 Tbs. of SB approved dressing with lunch, and olive oil with supper. I think the addition of the healthy fats is one of the reasons I have been able to stick with SB so well. Just this morning the newspaper ran an article about low fat diets not working as well (for weight loss and cholesterol reduction) as low carb & Mediterranean style diet. I am also anxious to see if my cholesterol is improved. Mine has always been in the low range until I hit menopause, and now runs about 210. I'm hoping SB has made a big improvement there.

Do you do weight training? I know if I would work consistently with it, I could get my body fat in a better range, but I'm not terribly fond of it.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

remember that it is important to have fat in your diet....especially as a woman. Good fats keep our skin soft, our hair pretty and our nails strong....as well as our brain sharp, and reproductive system healthy (if that matters to you). Our bodies need fat to thrive, just eat the right kinds of fat - nuts, fish, olive oils (expeller pressed is the best way to go)....you should be fine.

There is a difference between the fats in a bucket of fried chicken and the fats in a piece of salmon - even if the numbers don't seem that much different. The difference being the former will kill you, the latter...not so much....to be blunt.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Also....to be lean and muscular...you are going to have to do some exercise...no diet is going to sculpt your body. My best friend is really thin and has no muscle tone at all...

My DH is very lean and muscular (6'5 -190#) and makes sure to eat a good portion of healthy fats every day. It keeps him from eating junk food and getting too hungry in between snacks and meals. It also keeps him going during workouts.

Last edited by zeffryn; 07-17-2008 at 10:29 AM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #6  
Patty

S/C/G: 208/195.4/150

Smile

I've been on SB for about 5 months and have lost over 10% body fat.
Slimmin Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #7  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

I agree with the others, our bodies definitely need good fats. With SBD and other Mediterranean-style eating plans, you have to look at the big picture. These plans are higher in fat than a traditional WW type diet, or the Heart Association diet, but the fat that is used in SBD is beneficial to our body. I don't eat a lot of nuts, because they are addicting for me, but I have always used a lot of olive oil, and I love avocados. When I was on this plan 4 years ago I lost 32 pounds despite the olive oil and the avos, and most of it was excess body fat. I didn't measure my body fat though, sorry.
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #8  
Midwesterner

Also as we age, we tend to lose muscle, so even if we weigh the same as when we did in our youth we're more "fat", unless you counteract that with exercise and weight bearing.

I got this from a google search:
"For each decade after the age of 25, 3-5 % of muscle mass is lost. This is due to changes in lifestyle and decreased use of the neuromuscular system."

Old 07-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/120/120

Height: 5 foot 3 inch

That's good to know. I am an avid exerciser even though my weight doesn't reflect that due to weekend binges before starting sb! I exercise twice daily ( a.m. resistance training and 30 min elliptical and p.m. group exercise class). I actually used to personal train and teach aerobics in grad school so I am well aware of the importance of regular resistance and cardio training.
I am going to get my body fat measured next month so let's see what they say!
thunderbegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #10  
Midwesterner

What method will you be using? They use bioimpedence at my hospital, and I don't think it's as accurate as other methods, but it's what I've been using for reference for years. I don't know anywhere where I can get skin caliper testing done.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #11  
M&M Addict

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Sorry to hijack, but thunderbegone, would you mind sharing some elliptical workout info with me? I have a machine, and love it, but I work too hard too fast and can't last longer than 15 minutes. I need a good plan to get through a longer, more beneficial workout.

Thanks.
WhiteRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote