Old 07-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #1  

Default 60's and Beyond #114

G'day everyone,

I am just about all packed to go on our adventure up North.

I'll be gone for 6 weeks, return to Adelaide and then home 3 days before going to Melbourne for 10 days to visit our daughter and family.

Everything should be back to normal early September.

I enjoyed reading your last long post Ann, it is funny about that 1 lb that you loose over and over again , if only it stayed away for good!!!
You would enjoy playing the piano don't you? My sister just broke her wrist and she is getting very frustrated how long it takes to heal.

I have never heard of Swiss Chard and must look it up when I have more time.

Stay happy and well everyone, if I get a chance to post somewhere in an internet cafe I will, there is not a great deal out bush.

Cheers
Maria
flaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:26 AM   #2  
suz
suz

S/C/G: 178/150.6/135

Height: 5'3"

Morning to all
Ann I know all about losing that 1 lb and getting it back again I think we are going to go set up our veggie stand at the township office but I know no one will show up or very few On Saturday there is an old car show on the main street of town so we are going to set up there as well even if it just gets our name out so people know we are out there with our veggies

Maria I know you may not get to read this for a while but have safe and wonderful trip and post when you can

My DH has been away for a week and was very surprizedat how much everything in the garden had grown It amazing what some heat will do it has been a cool and wet spring and early summer they say the first few weeks of July will be same a bit cool and wet

Well thats it for now Hope everyone else is well Suz
suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #3  
Fun Blonde

Wow, it has been a week since I posted and it looks like everyone has come back. Thanks for the advice regarding retirement. You all are undoubtedly right about it. I have two friends who are retired and they do nothing outside the home. They have grandkids, but they love staying home. Can't say that sounds good to me at all. I will have to be able to go.

Maria, you are gone so I won't talk to you. Ha! I know she will have a grand time.

Suz, your veggies. How I wish I had them. They sounds wonderful!

Gloria, so glad physical things are going well for you. This BP medicine has always been an issue with me. It makes me dizzy, this one less than some of the others. And being able to lose weight, 7.5 pounds is just great!

Ann, you still sound like that little Energizer Bunny. Just glad you are so busy and you have such a busy lifestyle in the park.

I hope Slavika, Trudy, and Miss Karen are having a great summer.

I have to tell you something. I was walking at noon over to meet a friend for lunch. I fell off my shoes! So embarrassing! These aren't even high ones, but I went sprawling and then looked around to see how many people saw me. I just knew people were at all the windows! How stupid is that? And then I looked even worse stumbling away with a bruised hand and ego. Maybe, Ann, I will look for that SAS shoes.

Hope you all have a wonderful 4th, plenty of family and friends and fireworks.
Glenda

Last edited by survivor; 07-03-2008 at 03:05 PM.
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hello Ladies,

Sorry I haven't been around lately. I will try to do better.

Maria - I guess I missed you, but if you read this have a great vacation. We look forward to hearing from you when you can pop in.

Ann - I noticed you live in FL. We moved to SC from Ft. Lauderdale area. We lived in Coconut Creek when Wilma hit. I decided then that if that was a 4 that I never want to be in a Cat 5. I understand about the rain as we could sure use some here. I notice today there is a tropical storm out in the Atlantic, but they don't expect it to hit land. I sure it would come up close enough for us to get rain, but don't want anything bad. DH son in IN has a lot of damage, but with the help of his insurance and FEMA hopefully they can eventually get things fixed. Boy do I know about the 1lb that doesn't want to go away. I just hope if I KOKO that it will finally be a thing of the past.

Suz - Sure wish we had your veggie stand here. I had hoped that when we moved to SC that I would see veggie stands, but I haven't seen one yet. We have a little place here that is set up like one, but the veggies are bought from the same place as what grocery stores and the prices are no better.

Glenda - So sorry about your fall. One day not too long after we moved her, my shoe caught on a place raised too high on the drive and fell when I had gone out to get the mail. When asked by DH if I was hurt, I told him that the only thing I felt was embarrassed and had looked to see if anyone was around. I too wondered if any one looking out the windows of their homes on the other street had seen me. We only had 2 sets of neighbors at the time and I knew they were not home. You be careful. As we get older we have to really be good to our bones.

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July holiday.

Hugs,
Trish
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #5  
Super Surfer

Default Hi all..

Happy July 4th everyone. We had our Canada Day on July 1st. We didn't do much, it was very hot outside and so many people out at all the events, it gets tiring.
With Karen, Maria and Glenda away our little group will quite a bit smaller. Hope they all have a good holiday. We are getting the grand children on Saturday for a sleepover. That will be enough excitement for us this weekend.
Ann you asked me about surgery on the carpel tunnel. 3 surgeries are what caused it in the first place, so no, I won't be doing that. I have a lot of scar tissue on my wrist.

Well gals, enjoy your 4th celebrations...
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #6  

Hi Trudy, I have only known of a few people who had that surgery and it didn't work for them. I do have some problems with my hands from time to time, but I decided a long time ago to just leave it be as I can live with it. And then I heard someone say it is different now and it works. I don't have the answer, but I don't think it is anything I want to mess with.

Trish
Old 07-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

Good afternoon everyone:

I have been scurrying around doing cleaning and straightening up the house in preparation for our trip next week. Decided that I needed a little down time.

We had a very nice 4th. I played Bingo with a friend at the clubhouse. I only play on holidays, and all I did as usual was contribute the the winnings of others. Then we had a sort of picnic supper at the clubhouse, fried chicken, and then we each brought what we wanted for our table. I elected to bring dessert. A sugar free apple pie, and a sugar free peach gelatin pie. The last was an experiment, and it turned out better than I thought. Then we had a movie, 'Noah Dearborn' starring Sidney Poittier. Never could spell his name. It was a very good film. Then home to watch The Capital Fourth from Washington D.C. and their fireworks, then the Boston Pops and fireworks, and then on to bed.

So on Tuesday we will be joining the other vacationing gals until the 16th. I am looking so forward to it, as I will see my youngest daughter and her daughter, as well as assorted boyfriends. But I know it will be a nice time.

We do have to accept the life=style of the granddaughter, and their 'significant others'. Not what we were brought up to believe. For us it was court, get married and then live together. Now it is court, live together and then get married. I don't really like it but what can I do about it- nothing, so it is better to 'go with the flo' than to make waves and make for an unpleasant weekend.

I have started my project to copy a pattern of an applique quilt that my Grandmother made. I made one square of scrap material, to see if I could do it, and I think I can. I didn't want to invest in a lot of material if I couldn't manage it. So that will be my winter project.

Another warm day so I know I have to go to the pool later, if we don't have any thunder.

Trish- We were here in Fl. for Charlie, Frances, and Jeanne, all the same year. It was raather unpleasant, but we were blessed and had minimal damage. We did go to a shelter for two of them We were dumb enough to stay in the house for the first one, which was the worst one. The bad thing for us was that our insurance co. canceled, and now haaving found another company, we have a huge deductable, but at least we do have some sort of insurance.

Glenda: Sorry that you had a fall, and I know what you mean, wondering who saw you. And that the only thing that was badly hurt was your pride. I'm glad you weren't like a gal in our park who tripped over a curb and broke her arm. By all means look for the SAS shoes while you are in San Antonio. It stands for San Antonis Shoes. They are wonderful and some stylish ones as well as the casual. Just not very high heels. which is fine with me.

Suz: I hope things go will with your veggie stand. I wish I could grow Swiss chard down here. I have never tried it, but I may,since we have a spot near the house in our back yard where the grass just doesn't grow. So I am thinking of filling it in with so good soil, put a raised edge around it and plant some stuff there. I have to do it in the fall, since the summer is so hot.

Hi Beach Bum- Is the weather nice out on Cape Cod?

Trudy: Do you wear magnetic bracelets on your bad wrists? I have a problem with one thumb, and as long as I wear the bracelet, it is better. I don't understand why but as long as it works. : Have you ever tried bio-freeze gel on your wrists. That is a great pain reliever. We get it at the place where DH does exercises.

I'll probably make one more post before we go on Tuesday. So have a great rest of the weekend. And Hi to anyone I seem to haave missed.
Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #8  

Ann - I know a lot of people lost their insurance after Wilma. We didn't because we didn't have enough damage to make a claim on our insurance. However, when DH called to cancel our insurance because we were moving to SC, he was told that if we canceled we couldn't get insurance with them again. We moved to SC and we got a new insurance policy with the same company so we realized they meant we couldn't get them again in FL. His daughter lives in Boca and had a claim on her insurance and they dropped her.

Hope you have a good trip.

Hugs,
Trish
Old 07-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #9  
Fun Blonde

Okay, guys, I am back. Seems like our group has sort of shrunk, what with all the traveling. Trudy, so sorry your wrists are hurting. I have two friends who had the surgery and it helped immensely. I know one lady who just does the brace for her wrist.

I bet you had fun with the little ones on the sleepover. We had our little girl alone for only about 5 hours and we were tired. Actually Joel, Shanna, and Makenzie, Brooke, Greg, and Colton came Saturday about noon and left Sunday evening. We had a great time. Brooke is our granddaughter and Colton is her 6 month old son, our gr-grandson. We went to a big fireworks display and had a quilt and some chairs, but not enough, to take out to the clearing and I looked up and my son had his third-row seat from his car carrying it down the sidewalk. This was a true Redneck Moment. Later the grown men set of fireworks in our back area (we are way out of the city limits) and they had as much fun as little kids. All in all, it was a wonderful holiday. We had yesterday alone and Leon just slept all afternoon on the couch and I read. Sure was nice to be quiet again.

Ann, I know you will have a great time, visiting your kids. And you are so right about that "living together" thing. I have more than once had to kind of hold back a thought or two with my own very happily married sons. They both lived with their wives before marriage out of convenience. Hmm....One DIL's parents suggested it as a way to save money. Times change, I know, but I still have trouble with that. I doubt very much if my son will be so happy if his daugter does this.

Well, it is hot here. Seems that the rain has stopped. Having a friend over tomorrow for supper. I hope to eat on the patio so I hope it is cooled off somewhat by 7 PM.

Guys, I think I have gained about 9 pounds. How do I do that? Just sort of quit focusing on weight and WHAM! Here it comes again! Got to do something right after vacation which is in two weeks. It really takes so little to gain anymore and so much effort to lose.
Glenda
Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #10  
Super Surfer

Question my crop circles

Hi everyone..
I am wondering whether I mentioned on the board, that we had 5 very mysterious 12" x 8" circles on our front lawn. We called them our "crop circles". They were appearing, one at a time and we would notice them in the mornings. It was so strange, all about the same size. The grass would be scraped to one end and then there would be a small, deep hole at the end where the grass lay. We had no idea what it could be. Well, on Saturday morning my DH came into the house and said there was another one, this time on the back lawn, about 3 feet off the patio and maybe 1 foot in from the stone walk. We were so perplexed! My DH moved some of the grass that lay at the end and then we saw a clump of gray hair, he moved it and saw about 3 or 4 baby bunnies all huddled together. They were so tiny. Looks like the bunny, who has been eating everything growing in my yard was making a nest for her babies. My DH must have been driving her nuts every time he would fill in the bald spots and lay grass seed down. They are still in the hole. Neither of us can dispose of them. DH called the Humane Society and they said if we tried to move them, they would have a heart attack, so there they are, living in a hole in my backyard. I have given up on my flowers this year, there is always next year I guess.
Our grandchildren had their sleep-over on Sat. We had so much fun with them, we kept them busy and they loved it. My grandson is 2 1/2 and he would come into the kitchen with me while I made the meals... so funny. We actually had conversations. The three of us baked cookies on Sunday. It was hilarious. My granddaughter brought her story books, and she would sit with my DH and read to him, while I was in the kitchen with her brother. It was great having that one on one time with them.
We were at a funeral today. A old and dear friend died. She had a stroke 5 years ago and lost her battle on Friday. That was sad.
Glenda you have returned and now Ann is leaving us. Have a great holiday Ann, you are returning on my Anniversary.
GLenda I don't understand how we fight for every single ounce and just drop our guard for an instance and gain back 10 lbs in a blink of an eye. I had lost 10 lbs and have regained 4... just like that!!
Ann and Trish I won't have any more surgeries on my wrist. If it was the other one, I might go for it, but because it is on the one I injured when I was 8 years old I don't think it would be any benefit for me. I haven't tried any magnet bracelets, but have been tempted to give them a try. My Mom had a couple of disks she would tape onto her knees and she thought they helped her.
Well my little grandson swallowed a penny today. Of course my DD is concerned, but I am sure if she waits a couple of days, it will come out. Made me think of myself when I was a child, I would chew on the top button of my sweater (for some strange reason), and ended up swallowing a couple before I learned.
My DH's sister and husband are in the city, so tomorrow we will be seeing them.
Talk to you later..
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #11  
Fun Blonde

Trudy, just tell your daughter that it will all come out in the end, always does. I have a niece who had to go to the ER to get money out of her nose. We asked her why she put it there and she replied, "My hands were full." Kids, you gotta love 'em!

Had my friend over yesterday evening and the weather could not have been better. We ate on the patio and it was just barely sprinkling and kind of cool. We talked and just had such a nice time. I got up this morning to let Ginger out, and lo and behold! it must have got serious after we went to bed. I guess it rained and rained and the wind blew. Perfect timing for us. We slept through the whole thing. Not many years in Oklahoma have we had a good rain in July.

Well, where is everybody? I know some are on vacation, etc. But Slavika, Karen, and Peggy, where are you guys?

I am working the 4/10 days this week. So, I will be off on Friday. My bestest friend in the whole world is coming Friday morning. Leon is going to go to one of our son's house so it will be just us girls for two days. Yippee! We are going to eat and laugh and talk! It is really nice to have an antique friend who knows you, warts and all.

Love to you all.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #12  

G'day everyone,

We are in Mt.Isa (you will have to get the atlas out to check where we are and where we have been!!!)
A mining town which is pretty average. we are leaving again tomorrow morning.
We set out from Adelaide and met up with our friends in Broken Hill, from there we travelled to Tibaboora, a very small town with little to say in its favour. We camped out in the scrub, the sky was amazing but it was very cold overnight in a canvas camper trailer. We set off to Innaminka where we camped along the Coopers Creek and met up with other friends that had crossed the Simpson Dessert. We had a great night and heard some 'amazing' stories of their crossing. Set off to Birdsville in the morning but only made it half way where we camped again out in the scrub, we had a great campfire but again it was very cold overnight.
Reached Birdsville early in the afternoon, had a powered campsite (which meant HEAT!) did our washing and got organised to set out to Mt Isa where we arrived yesterday. We have had some horrendous roads to contend with and we have had a few minor (to Alan major!) problems along the way.

Tomorrow it is off to Lawn National Park where we will stay for a few days, the scenery is supposed to be quite spectacular.
Any thoughts of diet have gone out the window but I don't think I have put on any weight.

I have 3 minutes left on my internet connection so stay happy and well all and 'see' you next time!

Cheers
Maria
flaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #13  
suz
suz

Morning Ladies
Maria sounds like you are having a wonderful trip Hope you are taking lots pictures that you will post when you return

Well we have had 2 weeks of the farmers market it started with 2 others vendors and my DH and I there is 2 other Ladies one who may come and the other is going to come next Friday the township let us use there parking lot but it is outside the town a few people stopped in but we found a vacant lot insde the town but still on the mainroad coming into town we got permission from the owner a friend of my DH We are going to go there for this friday so I am hoping that more people will show up I will let you all know how it goes

Take care Suz
Old 07-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #14  
Member Florida Chick

Hi everyone:
We are back from our lovely trip. We had a great time, and enjoyed it all. but of course it is always good to get home to our own bed.:

We met all the respective boyfriends/fiances of the gradndaughters. Also met my youngest daughters new friend. A very nice man, and he is very considerate of my daughter. That is very good for her, since her ex. was anything but kind and considerate. As you can guess, that is why he is an Ex.

We had a great picnic and lots of fun during the weekend. Holly and MIke have a Wii and we bowled and played golf and had a great time with it. She still doesn't have the Wii fit, but that is on her list for later.

So proud of granddaughter Kate, the Physical Therapist. She is doing well with her interning, and the fall semester is the last class work she will have to do. Then another internship and then graduation to be a full fledged Dr. of Physical Therapy.

Had an interesting experience at the Orlando Airport. There was some sort of security alert, and people ran from all over into specific stations. Basically the airport was closed until the all clear. I was concerned about missing my flight, as I had gone back from the gate to retrieve DH belt he forgot at security. But I was told not to worry, since no planes leave the airport until the all-clear. Needless to sayI did make the flight all right. Never did hear what was the problem, but I know there were police as well as the security officers all over the place, and this lasted more than 20 minutes. I asked one of the officers if this was a drill or for real, and was told it was for real.

My daughter treated me to a pedicure, and my son in law treated Phil to a flight over the area in a small place. He loved it, since he is an airplane lover of the first order.

Maria, you sound as if you are having an interesting trip. Cold nights make for good snuggleing.

Glenda: I hope you and your 'ancient' friend had a lovely time together.

Suz: I hope your market days have gone better and that you have had lots of customers now. Wish you could ship some down here.

I'll have to get back and read some other posts again. But just wanted you to know we are back. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #15  
suz
suz

Morning
Well we set up the market at our new location on friday and based on sales from the first 2 fridays I only took a small amount of stuff and sold out within the first hour and took a few orders to fill the next day We should have beans and maybe some cukes and some more beets as well so I am hoping to do very well this week We have had many people ask us when differnt veggies will be ready, so things are looking up

Suz