General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Default Just a rant about men (in general)

Sorry but I heard this song on the way home and it made me want to scream.

EDIT: To correct a misconception I seem to have aroused in some people. This rant should have been titled to be about certain loutish men, not ALL men.
Sorry if I offended anyone. The rant is more about the type of man who just won't take care of themselves because it's not 'manly' and imply that any who do must be effeminate and 'not have a pair'.

I'm Still A Guy by Brad Paisley
Quote:
When you see a deer you see Bambi
And I see antlers up on the wall
When you see a lake you think picnic
And I see a large mouth up under that log
You're probably thinking that you're going to change me
In some ways well maybe you might
Scrub me down, dress me up but no matter what
I'm still a guy

When you see a priceless French painting
I see a drunk, naked girl
You think that riding a wild bull sounds crazy
And I'd like to give it a whirl
Well love makes a man do some things he ain't proud of
And in a weak moment I might walk your sissy dog, hold your purse at the mall
But remember, I'm still a guy

I'll pour out my heart
Hold your hand in the car
Write a love song that makes you cry
Then turn right around knock some jerk to the ground
'Cause he copped a feel as you walked by

I can hear you now talking to your friends
Saying, "Yeah girls he's come a long way"
From dragging his knuckles and carrying a club

And building a fire in a cave
But when you say a backrub means only a backrub
Then you swat my hand when I try
Well, what can I say at the end of the day
Honey, I'm still a guy

I'll pour out my heart
Hold your hand in the car
Write a love song that makes you cry
Then turn right around knock some jerk to the ground
'Cause he copped a feel as you walked by

These days there's dudes getting facials
Manicured, waxed and botoxed
With deep spray-on tans and creamy lotiony hands
You can't grip a tacklebox

With all of these men lining up to get neutered
It's hip now to be feminized
I don't highlight my hair
I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

Oh my eyebrows ain't plucked
There's a gun in my truck
Oh thank God, I'm still a guy
Now...

WHY DO MEN THINK IT IS EFFEMINATE TO CARE FOR THEIR BODIES, KEEP THEIR SKIN SUPPLE, SMELL GOOD INSTEAD OF LIKE BO, KEEP THEIR FILTHY FINGERNAILS CLEAN, GET RID OF THAT DISGUSTING BACK/NOSE/FINGER HAIR AND IN GENERAL MAKE THEMSELVES MORE ATTRACTIVE AND APPEALING TO WOMEN?

Sorry for the caps but OMG I am soooo sick of this. I can tell you that while most women I know including myself do appreciate a 'manly' man, we would also appreciate it if our manly man tried to make himself a little more attractive in sight, smell and feel to us.

Cuddling at night and your husband doesn't use a callous stone in the shower or lotion at all so his feet are scraping your flesh? TURN OFF!

Go walking barefoot on the beach for a romantic evening and notice your male counterpart hasn't had a pedicure (home or otherwise) ever if at all so he's got fungus growing under his toenails? TURN OFF!

Guy takes you out for a date and the entire time you can see the gunky build up of plaque between his teeth because he's too MANLY to floss? TURN OFF AND NO WAY ARE YOU GETTING A KISS, BUSTER.

Date is holding your hand and all you can notice is how absolutely filthy his fingernails are because he doesn't get (or give himself) manicures beyond clipping them on occasion? TURN OFF!

Guy sitting shirtless showing his bear fur back in all its glory because he's too MANLY to get waxed? UGH!!!!

I'm sorry for the rant but this whole idea of "taking care of yourself and making yourself more attractive" == "effeminate" and "not having a pair" makes me disgusted with the whole lot of you.

Last edited by snapless; 07-17-2008 at 06:44 AM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I really really really have a problem with the huge wide brush you've just painted all men with. "The whole lot of you"??? "Men in general"??? That's just offensive. Seriously ... and I'm not really easily offended.

And this:
Quote:
WHY DO MEN THINK IT IS EFFEMINATE TO CARE FOR THEIR BODIES, KEEP THEIR SKIN SUPPLE, SMELL GOOD INSTEAD OF LIKE BO, KEEP THEIR FILTHY FINGERNAILS CLEAN, GET RID OF THAT DISGUSTING BACK/NOSE/FINGER HAIR AND IN GENERAL MAKE THEMSELVES MORE ATTRACTIVE AND APPEALING TO WOMEN?
That just really pisses me off.

I'm sorry that your life seems to be filled with loutish, dirty men. But not every man is like this. I'd say not even most men are like this. And this kind of rant is as offensive as if one of the men who is a member here posted something about how all women are hormone-driven b*tches who are obsessed with looks over substance and only exist to spend their mens' money - or something equally offensive.

My guy is one of the most well pulled together men I know. He is always well groomed, makes sure his fingernails are cut and his hair is trimmed. He wears the most amazing colognes (in fact I can't think of him w/out thinking about how good he always smells to me). He isn't always the height of fashion and yeah, sometimes he has rough hands (which I actually like - baby smooth hands and feet on a guy are a turn off for me - I like my men to feel a little rough and tough), but he's not the uncouth slob you're accusing all men of being.

Sorry to not be supportive here ... but this rant just majorly pressed every button I have about sexist generalization. It's not fair to men and it's not fair to women either.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 07-17-2008 at 01:00 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

My GIANT, lean, muscular nearly 7 foot tall man has the softest, lost luxurious skin EVER.

He asks for help with waxing trimming and so on and I happily oblige him. He usually showers 2 times a day (before work and after, to be clean and smell good for me).

He always grooms and uses all natural organic body care products and so smells of luscious essential oils and will always brush his teeth or ask if he needs to.

I am VERY happy with my clean, delicious, sexy, masculine and pleasing to every one of my senses man.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I really really really have a problem with the huge wide brush you've just painted all men with. "The whole lot of you"??? "Men in general"??? That's just offensive. Seriously ... and I'm not really easily offended.

And this:
That just really pisses me off.

I'm sorry that your life seems to be filled with loutish, dirty men. But not every man is like this. I'd say not even most men are like this. And this kind of rant is as offensive as if one of the men who is a member here posted something about how all women are hormone-driven b*tches who are obsessed with looks over substance and only exist to spend their mens' money - or something equally offensive.

My guy is one of the most well pulled together men I know. He is always well groomed, makes sure his fingernails are cut and his hair is trimmed. He wears the most amazing colognes (in fact I can't think of him w/out thinking about how good he always smells to me). He isn't always the height of fashion and yeah, sometimes he has rough hands (which I actually like - baby smooth hands and feet on a guy are a turn off for me - I like my men to feel a little rough and tough), but he's not the uncouth slob you're accusing all men of being.

Sorry to not be supportive here ... but this rant just majorly pressed every button I have about sexist generalization. It's not fair to men and it's not fair to women either.

1. I never said I was surrounded by dirty men.
2. I was ranting about a song and men who agree with that type of song. The SONG made me upset. I think I explained that in the first post by stating the song made me want to scream?

Sorry if it offended you but I believe you are getting offended over a typo (I should have used 'loutish men in general' instead of 'men in general') instead of over my intention.

Edit: Oh, and kudos for having one of the men who doesn't think being attractive is effeminate. I have one too, a darling husband I've been married to for 7 years in 6 days. Like I said, it's not that I'm surrounded by loutish men it's that there are loutish men period (see the song again).

Last edited by snapless; 07-17-2008 at 01:12 AM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
but I believe you are getting offended over a typo
No, I'm sorry. It wasn't a typo.

Title: Men in general
Why do men .. ?
makes me disgusted with the whole lot of you.

Once might have been a typo. Three times ... that was a directed rant. It was sexist and, as I said, just as offensive as if one of our male members ranted about "the whole lot" of us women because of a song.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Photo, this was just a frustrated rant about a song that pushed her buttons. I don't believe this to be a "ALL MEN SUCK" post. (And we do have plenty of frustrated rants about men). It's unfair to single her rant out. I'm sure similar things have been said in anger about men and no one ever means to stereotype or blanket men. She didn't mean it to be offensive, so please accept her apology graciously and let's move forward with the thread.

Last edited by HarpoChicoGroucho; 07-17-2008 at 02:30 AM.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Um, I'm not even offended by the song, I think it is funny. A guy making fun of himself and of the sometimes excessive politically correct and "meterosexual" culture that old-fashioned guys don't quite understand. A guy willing (but embarassed) about holding a woman's purse or walking a "sissy" dog? I think it's cute. I know my husband would NEVER let me put a dog of any size, in clothing and would refuse to walk said "sissified" dog, because in his mind dogs are meant to be dogs, not imitation humans (to him, it's refusing to respect their doggitude).

My husband showers, shaves (or grooms, since he now wears a beard) - but only his face, wears cologne (but only after I bought him a cologne - now he wears it because he things I like it - and don't get me wrong, I do, but I never said I wanted or expected him to wear it every day) but now he does. He's never had a facial or a manicure, botox, a spray on tan, or highlighted hair (getting him to trim off two inches of dead ends off of his butt-length hair for our wedding was a chore). He's also never plucked his eyebrows or waxed. Well actually he once did experience waxing. He stuck one of my wax strips on his forearm and pulled - and screamed bloody murder and told me women were NUTS to go through that. It was the first box of wax strips I'd ever bought and after one pull - I had to agree and I went back to my razors.

He hates dressing up, and is only willing to so much as I can find a comfortable alternative to a tight collared shirt and jacket (he looks mighty handsome in a nice sweater, so I don't mind). He wanted to wear teal high top tennies to our wedding (teal was my color) and you know, I regret making him wear the dress shoes.

Personally, I think a guy taking off body hair, doesn't make him look more attractive, it makes him look pre-pubescent. What is the obsession we have in this country with people wanting to be virtually hairless. That's not natural.

I'm not saying that the "meterosexual" men may not appeal to some women, but "rough around the edges," doesn't offend me. My husband doesn't mind that I'm part "independent modern woman," part "traditional, even stereotypical housewifey type, and part "insane she-devil from another planet," and I don't mind that he's part "civilized, even intellectual man," part "10 year old boy," and part "man-ape."

I don't think the song held as many stereotypes as your rant did. But everyone's entitled to a bigoted rant now and agan... even the author of this song.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-17-2008 at 02:06 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm not a fan of country music, but I agree with Kaplods on this one.

Many of Brad Paisley's song are very tongue-in-cheek. I don't believe they are meant to be taken seriously.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 AM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Personally, I think a guy taking off body hair, doesn't make him look more attractive, it makes him look pre-pubescent. What is the obsession we have in this country with people wanting to be virtually hairless. That's not natural.
I don't like the hairless look either (on a man or a woman).

It *is* nice to not have hairy ears or surface of the nose or a unibrow though, at least once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
he's part "civilized, even intellectual man," part "10 year old boy," and part "man-ape."
Sounds like MY man!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/175

Height: 5'3

my husband and i met online and carried on like that for two years.. then we met.. but the idiot (from england) had the impression that american women dont like body hair on a man, so just before he flew to the states to meet me, he put Veet all over his back and chest.. well, needless to say when he got to the states to meet me he was one big rash.. serves him right lol.. i told him i love him ... not his hair or lack of it.. not because of the physical.. but because he is a wonderful man... how come we expect men to look past our weight, but we wont look past back hair? wtf? what turns one person off may turn another on.. its wrong to generalize.. i personally love the fact that my husband feels like a man.. caloused hands from hard work, hairy chest, and all... i guess its a case of 'judge not lest ye be judged'... hubby accepts me ( fat and all) and i accept him.. hairy manly man..
btw.. in sept we will be married 4 wonderful years
jimaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #11  

Those of us who listen to country music (you know who you are ) know that Brad Paisley has quite a few humerous songs -- not meant to be taken literally. One in particular is about alcohol and how it makes people do stupid things, another is "I wan't to check you for ticks", etc. Personally -- I prefer a "manly man" -- not saying he shouldn't take care of his teeth, etc. but I can't say I would think it was adorable to watch my husband get a pedicure -- yes, I do ask that you keep your nails clean, your body parts that should not be hairy should be free of such (ears, nose, etc. ) but I love a man who looks like he works hard. When I met my husband almost every figernail was black/blue from being hit with something -- I'm sure not terribly attractive to most ladies -- but to me it means he worked hard -- which also results in his amazing muscular arms, weathered/cowboy looking face, etc.

I know everyone has their own taste in men -- which is great -- because it keeps the ones that some of us find repulsive in a relationship -- personally I find a suit/tie not that "hot" -- so to those of you who find that sexy -- he's all yours -- I'll take the coal miner, construction workers, etc. off your hands!!

Last edited by shelby897; 07-17-2008 at 07:58 AM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

My wonderful, opinionated, rough-handed hubby has 'dress overalls'. Truly! (Only in Alabama. haha) I wouldn't change one thing about him. My brother-in-law is the definition of 'metrosexual' -- manicures, facials, designer clothes. And my sister wouldn't change one thing about him.

Last edited by Chelby29; 07-17-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

It is a cute song, but come on, most men take good enough care of themselves to be inoffensive to the general public. Now things like back hair well thats a personal choice I think, If I were dating a guy with back hair (and I have) I would not expect him to wax or shave it, just for me! and so on
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

While I'm all for a shower every day and clean nails (not buffed or polished, just clean), I salute ANY guy that thumbs his nose at all the pressure to "fit in" and refuses to wax chest/back hair. If a guy wants to do it, that's fine with me, but I much prefer the natural look. I don't want a guy that wears make up, gets botox or goes for more mani/pedis than I do.

Last edited by Glory87; 07-17-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #15  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

My hubby is a transport driver. Physically fit, well dressed and concerned about his hyigene. He is clean, uses my mary kay products, and is envious of me when I go out for some pampering. But doesn't go himself. If his close crop hair cut even buldges from under his ball cap he is into the hair stylist. But in his industry he is not the norm. Go to any truck stop and look around at how many guys come into eat without washing up. He does have working hands which I love. Feet well..being stuck in steel toed boots for 12-15 hours a day. I dont go near them until after a shower!

I called him a metrosexual once and he didn't like it. But also did not know the meaning! The song is ment to make fun like someone else said...tounge in cheek.

I get more offended by the drinking songs by Keith ...cant remember his last name.
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote