Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #1  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Am I slow?

So today I did an intro Hip Hop video with Carmen Electra early this morning (well, on TV, not in the same room). Now, I consider myself a fairly intelligent person in academics. I'm a pretty quick learner.

Do you think I could do even the simplest Hip Hop moves? Not only could I not get the sequence down, but I didn't look ANYWHERE NEAR as sexy as she did doing it. People would laugh if I tried that out of the house... or in the house.

Anyone have this problem? Is there a solution or am I just REALLY slow?

PS I have no rhythm but it looks like good exercise and I'd like to learn it.
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #2  
Ann Marie

S/C/G: 263 (Feb of '06)/236/170

Height: 5' 5"

I am the exact same..I have some of those types of videos and can't do them for the life of me. I have absolutely no rhthym either. I even avoid the classes at the gym so I don't look like a complete idiot. I guess it all comes with repeatedly doing them but I don't have much for patience with myself. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll get better.
brn2bthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 8"

I love my "dancey" videos for cardio but I exercise in a room at the front of the house and I've often said that, the way I flop around trying to get the moves down, I have to make sure I keep the blinds closed lest some happless girl scout trying to sell cookies see in the window and be scarred for life thinking she saw the fat lady having a seizure

It's also really tough to get the moves down because you are facing the person doing to routine so it's like a reverse image - remember the shower game of trying to spoon jellybeans into a cup on your head while looking in a mirror? If you can, put a full length mirror opposite the TV and work watching in the mirror until you get the moves down.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #4  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

OMG I definitely have similar problems, which is why I avoid DVDs that make you memorize complex moves. i have Turbo Jam, for instance, and I can follow the 40 min. weight training workout, but the cardio kickbox ballet thing is just beyond me. I can't move that fast and in tandem... ::graceless?::
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Don't worry about it. Have fun and just keep moving
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

The solution is to keep doing the video, you will improve! And don't worry about how you look, just keep moving around and having fun!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 07-15-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #7  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Well, if you're slow then I'm on the short bus right with you!

I'm totally the same way: I just can't do those complicated dancy work-outs. I've tried, and it just isn't for me. I hate flopping around in half-starts, missing cues, and not being able to keep up while I'm trying to figure out how to do what they are doing!

It's just not fun or motivating for me. I also don't have the patience to go through the whole DVD knowing I'm not getting much of a work-out because I'm actually just doing half-a**ed prancing around while trying to learn the moves!

Besides, they make me feel even more uncoordinated than I know I already am.

So, I stick to work-outs with choreography that's easy to learn and follow. This means lots of basics, like marching, prancing, grapevines, etc, but at least I can keep up and focus on getting a good work-out rather than not tripping over my own feet!

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 07-16-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #8  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

lol no I am exactly the same. I still would like to learn though.. I think it just takes waay more practice haha. One thing though, belly-dancing is I think a lot easier to learn, I can watch a DVD of that and learn it a lot faster than other dance dvd's, not to say that it is easy to master, just seems more do-able.
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

no you're not slow at all... and neither are the rest of us, we're all a little uncoordinated till we get the moves and the grove.... Some of us never get it though... Unfortunately
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I don't think it's a matter of intelligence. Dance moves just come easily to some people and not to others. Same thing for any other type of physical activity. The people who are really good at any sport always have some natural ability. I'm good at swimming and it's the only thing I'm good at. Dancing, especially anything that choreographed is a disaster for me. Even the simplest steps require all my concentration. And I do have rhythm, for Pete's sake, I was in marching band. I can dance fine when I'm not trying to follow a specific dance step, but anything that requires a specific movement is really hard for me.

Same for a lot of other sports--baseball, tennis, rock climbing, martial arts--I'm horrible at them all. In fact, just the other day my trainer was teasing me that if I ever get into a fight, I better just run because I was miserable at the kick-boxing stuff that he had me do (but I run intervals at a pretty fast pace, so he's pretty sure I can outrun whoever is trying to fight me )
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote