General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

Default angry and hurt

now I don't know what to do. My husband is an alcoholic addict. He just spent eight months in rehab and begged me to let him come back, promising that if he messed up again he'd move out. Well he's messed up and he's out somewhere looking for his drugs and I am in tears because it didn't work out. I know he will come back here full of sorry's and promises. I don't want to live this way, I want a man I can trust. I am so hurt and angry right now, nothing to do but wait till he comes home and then wait while he sleeps it off and can speak coherently to me. If he fails a drug test again from his probation officer he will go to prison for five years, he's not due to see his PO till aug 5. I would like to just sit back and let nature take its course but Its so hard because I do love him and want to help him but i knnow i can't
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. You need to take care of you.
It is hard when you love an addict. There is no real easy answer, but you've got to find peace for yourself.
Look at the Al-anon website and see if you can find some help.

I wish you the best.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

<<<Hugs>>>> to you....my heart ached for you as I read your post. I'm so sorry you have to deal with something so painful. Sometimes, addicts have to hit bottom (as you probably know) and maybe failing his test and going to prison will get him there. Either way, the man that you love is not the one you see before you...he has been taken over by the addiction. Hopefully, one day he will return, but as for you...you have a right to live a good life. You have a right to have a husband who you can trust. Just because he *says* he's sorry, doesn't mean you should feel guilt because you are not the one who caused this to begin with. You've already sacrificed so much of your life for this addiction and it's easier said than done, but there isn't much other choice. Again, my heart goes out to you and I hope you can find the strength to allow yourself to live again.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

You have every right to be angry....he's the one who should be thankful you took him back, but he can't see that. he's truly the selfish one, he can't put his feelings for you above his addictions?

I hope you take care of yourself and put your needs first. you deserve to be happy and concentrate on taking care of yourself, not wondering when he is going to sober up so you can have a conversation.

I'm guessing you feel like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders now....i hope you can get some support from family/friends. i wish you the best.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 7"

I hope you have friends, family or Alanon to support you in this. Being both codependent and an alcoholic on my own, I can say that other people's using was always a lot harder on me than my own. And remember, that whatever happens now, it's not your fault, and you are not responsible for any of it.
How sick and tired of this are you?
Have you considered just packing his clothes, putting them out front, and getting the locks changed? You gave him his second (probably more like thousandth) chance. I'm not saying you should, I'm just reminding you that you have options here.

Sue
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Prayers for you!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiesue View Post
now I don't know what to do. My husband is an alcoholic addict. He just spent eight months in rehab and begged me to let him come back, promising that if he messed up again he'd move out. Well he's messed up and he's out somewhere looking for his drugs and I am in tears because it didn't work out. I know he will come back here full of sorry's and promises. I don't want to live this way, I want a man I can trust. I am so hurt and angry right now, nothing to do but wait till he comes home and then wait while he sleeps it off and can speak coherently to me. If he fails a drug test again from his probation officer he will go to prison for five years, he's not due to see his PO till aug 5. I would like to just sit back and let nature take its course but Its so hard because I do love him and want to help him but i knnow i can't

I'm so sorry, I wish you and your family the best of luck.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I am so sorry this is happening to you. I used to date an alcoholic, and the only person who can change them is, well, them. I chose to leave him, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I know some people who still talk to him, and he hasn't changed one bit. I can't imagine how it would be if I never broke up with him. I am such a better person now, and I live for me, and surround myself only with people who shine, like I do.

That's what you deserve, and he doesn't deserve you. I know you love him, but you need to love yourself more. *hugs*

Last edited by Michelle125; 07-16-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #9  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

I will be praying for you and hubby!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #10  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5'7"

I can't pretend to know what you are going through and of course my thoughts, hopes and prayers that everything will turn out for the best are with you as well.

I'm sure you love him, but alcoholics and drug addicts always say they are sorry... and yes, they probably do mean it. Unfortunately as you have found out time and time again, the love and physiological need for drugs may surpass the love and physiological need he has for you

Getting out of even an abusive relationship (which this is...even though it may not be physical) is very difficult and only you know what is right for you. You deserve to be loved. You deserve to have someone to grow old with and most of all, you deserve to be happy. Time will heal your pain if you decide to leave, but of course that will be an EXTREMELY difficult move.

I can't imagine a life where a husband is sucking all the goals, dreams and happiness out over addiction, but it happens all too frequently.

Good luck and God Bless.
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #11  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Oh my goodness I'm so so sorry to hear about all of this. I have absolutely nothing to say, except that my heart goes out to you and that you HAVE to do what you feel is right for YOU. You're absolutely right to say 'enough is enough' if thats how you feel. I understand your impluse to keep taking care of him too, and that you feel guilty wanting him gone, but you shouldn't feel guilty -- having "a man you can trust" is your RIGHT.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #12  

thanks everyone, I'm just so shaky and messed up right now. I did go and see my daughter and played with the grdkds and that made me happy, but as soon as I came back home It just hit me again and I'm in tears again and my stomach is in knots again, I just don't know how to break the cycle. I suppose I could try alanon again. Any one have any comments about alanon?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/240/170

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up

I feel your pain. I was married to an alcoholic for 13 years and finally said enough is enough and left him. You wish every day that you can help him and do nothing but hurt yourself because when he fails you feel like you have failed. I loved my husband with all my heart but when I saw that he was not the same person I married due to the horrible effects of alcohol and it was ruining my children. It has been 3 years and I wake every morning thank ful I am not with him anymore because even with 3 rehab attempts he is still drinking and hasnt changed. He has to do it for himself and when he is ready. Unfotuneately he will harm whatever and whoever is in his way and the best thing you can do is better yourself. Im giving you a thumbs up because I think you are at the end of your rope and you only have one way to go and that is up !!!!! Pick yourself up figure out how to get away and do it !!!
Franycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #14  

Why am I so afraid to be alone??????
Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #15  

Alanon has been a life altering force in helping me let go of the alcoholic in my life. We have been stuck in a bitter divorce for 2-1/2 years, and I was losing myself. The women in Alanon are an incredible loving and wise resource. Some are happy today with their qualifier in recovery, others had to let him or her go, but the bottom line that I hear over and over again is that they found themselves and they found a loving community.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote