Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Scale won't budge!

I have 2 pounds left before I hit the 20 pounds lost mark.

The scale will NOT move. One day I step on and I'm 237.5, the next I'm 239, 238, 237, 238 again. This is INSANE.

I'm cutting out as much sodium as possible, hoping that it's that + heat that's making me retain water. It's really hard, because I get these bodily cravings for coke. I get weak, shaky and a little nauseous. Once I've had that soda, I'm better again. It isn't caffeine, because coffee doesn't solve the craving. I think it's low blood sugar (it's always worse in the summer) but I can't find anything to replace that icky, shaky feeling.

*screams*
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I hear you! Whenever I can get it to move a lb I'm happy these days (downward that is, an awful lot of fluctuations these days)! I'm hoping it has something to do with our heat/humidity.
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

How long has the scale been stuck? My weight loss has not gone down consistently at the same rate. It will stay the same and then drop a few pounds. It can be really frustrating, but if I stick with it, it does drop. I have the problems with blood sugar too, I drink diet sodas. I know it's better to eliminate soda altogether, but right now I'm still losing with the diet version. I try to eat snacks in between meals and that helps keep the blood sugar even. Do you track your calories? Are you exercising? These things really help me.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #4  

You just gave us a good example of what happens when you weigh every day. Get off the scale and just weigh once a week and count your real victories in the lifestyle changes you make that will support you when you get to maintenance. Weighing every day can be very discouraging if you don't understand how the body works.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #5  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

I've been stuck here for close to 2 weeks.

I exercise, informally, a lot. I have 3 kids so...yeah...constantly moving. My diet has been pretty clean lately, too. We've been eating out much less, and when we do, it's at places like hibachis or grills and I go for dishes where I can name every ingredient.

If I don't weigh every day, I get off track.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Is it coke with sugar? I assume so. Come up with substitutes that you can have when you get shaky. Drinking Coke when you get shaky just sets you up for a cycle of blood sugar peaks and drops.

For example, you could have an apple--an orange--half of a banana--six crackers, your choice--15 grapes--see what I mean? The fiber helps slow down the sugar. You could also eat some protein, such as an ounce of cheese with three crackers...

Jay

ETA: Don't cut sodium--increase the water you drink. Does the same thing, and is better IMO.

Last edited by JayEll; 07-15-2008 at 09:32 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I go for a couple of weeks with no drop in weight and then the third week I'll drop two to three pounds. Then other times I'll drop a pound every week for a few weeks in a row. I'll be doing the same exact thing so it makes no sense, but it's coming off so I stick with it. This time I'm determined to stick with it no matter how slow it goes! I have to do more intense exercise. This might not be true for everyone, but it is for me. I do the treadmill on an incline as fast as I can for thirty minutes, five times a week. When it starts getting easier I up the incline and speed it up.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:53 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Could it possibly be that those high calorie/sugar laden sodas are to blame for the scales' refusal to budge? And how "clean" is "pretty clean"? And how are you tracking your calories? ARE you tracking your calories? You'd be shocked how those little suckers can add up *sigh*.

Informal exercise is great. But that's what we're supposed to be doing. You might want to consider a stricter intentional exercise plan.

You've done great so far, with a little tweaking here and there, you'll have that scale sliding downward once again. Hang tight. I know it's not easy - but it is worth it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Hi Altari. I'm going through this too! I did realize myself though that I'm not really monitoring myself as well as I used to. Yes, I'm eating better foods but not tracking Fitday. I'm still exercising but used to force myself to do at least 15 min on my elliptical in addition to my walking, and then I stopped. So I figured out it makes sense I'd plataeu because basically I quit pushing myself that extra mile each day. I'd definetly reevaluate what you do each day and make sure you're not intaking extra calories and also tracking the exercise. Hopefully we can both get off our plateaus!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #10  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

The calories in soda can add up remarkably fast. And, if you're not being super-vigilant about tracking intake it's really easy to get an extra 400 or 500 calories per day without noticing. I'd try to find a substitute for the soda and, like Robin said, make time for intentional exercise.

You can do it!!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote