View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 04:05 AM   #44
BlueToBlue
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Default Lemony Scallops and Cucumbers

This is a recipe that I've had sitting in my recipe box for probably 20 years. I picked it up at a grocery store back when I lived in Chicago, carted it through at least one move in Chicago, then all the way to California, then through another move in California. It's amazing I hung onto it for so long but I'm glad I did because I finally made it for the first time and it was fabulous. The sauce is so simple, just lemon juice, cornstarch, and water, but yet has a great flavor. It's also very light and summery.

Lemony Scallops and Cucumbers
4 tbsp water
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp corn starch
1 tsp olive oil
12 oz cucumber, sliced (about 2 cups)
6 oz yellow pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper (or red pepper flakes)
1 lb scallops (halved or quartered, if large)
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
8 oz cherry tomatoes, halved (a little over a cup)

Mix water, lemon juice, and cornstarch together. Set aside.

Heat olive oil in large non-stick skillet over med-high heat. Add cucumber, yellow peppers, salt, and pepper and saute until just tender (maybe 5 min).

Move veggies to outside of pan and add scallops. Cook until they've just turned opaque. The scallops will cook very fast, so don't neglect them. Overcooked scallops are not very good.

Toss in the herbs and tomatoes and cook for a minute or so more.

This makes four servings at about 155 calories each. I ate it with brown rice, but it would also be good over polenta or even by itself.

My Before and After Pics

"Decide what you want; decide what you're willing to exchange for it; establish your priorities, and go to work." --H.L. Hunt

"Life has hills. Set the treadmill at an incline."
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote