Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 09:26 AM   #1  
Zoe
I see the SON in Texas

Height: 5'6"

Default I hate exercise!!!!!! Help!!!

Ok, I know that I'm not alone when I say that I absolutely HATE exercise. I belong to a gym (Bally's), I own a treadmill, I hate 2 legs for walking and still, I do NOTHING!! I know that I need to since I am in that "40-something" range and I want so much to be around for many more years. I need to lose 50 pounds and I've been pretty good the last month, having lost 10.5 of that but even though in my mind, I know that exercise will make it happen faster, I just don't do it. I know that it's good for my heart, good for stress, good for weight loss........

so, is there a trick? Is there a step-by-step guide to actually loving it? Is there a thread filled with exercise haters who cheer each other on?

any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Zoe <><
hating to move in Texas
Old 07-07-2002, 12:46 PM   #2  

Zoe, I don't think there's a magical potion, but I have to admit I find I hate exercise much more when I'm not doing it thatn when I'm actually doing it! I also find that the hardest part is getting into the routine of doing it, and once I do force myself to do it for a while I do start enjoying it. I think it's also a matter of finding something you enjoy at least a little bit ... For instance, I just don't like walking on a treadmill. In fact, unless I'm walking somewhere interesting, I just don't enjoy walking at all. And while I sometimes enjoy taking aerobics, I find I enjoy certain instructors more than others and will make it a point to go to those particular classes. I also find that I enjoy lifting weights and I've noticed that I can do a simple dumbell routine at home (I learned it from a videotape), I actually feel really good after I do it, and I can do it while I'm watching TV or whatever. And the more I do it on a regular basis, the easier it is to make myself do it.

Let me say, too, that right now I'm not yet at that point where my exercise is an ingrained routine. I've been off and on it for quite a few months, and I'm hoping this time I will keep it up until I reach that point.

And I hate to say it, but I think Nike is right: Just Do It. Force yourself to make it a priority, and eventually ... eventually ... you'll actually WANT to make it a priority!

Good luck,
Pen
Old 07-07-2002, 04:08 PM   #3  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hey Zoe,

Exercise falls into the "life's not fair rule". You just have to do it and find a way that you can live with it. It's really critical if you're in the 40-something range (me too) because the old bod just starts to fall apart and you have to force yourself to do things to keep it maintained.

Maybe you think of exercise as work and that's why it's so hard. Lots of ways to get your body moving - Walking: there's treadmill, taking a walk outside or in the park, grab another unwilling buddy and make them walk with you and turn it into social time, hiking or mall walking (doesn't count if you stop periodically to shop - LOL).

You can bike on an exercise bike or take a ride outside and enjoy the breeze (don't focus on the heat).

Exercise is more than just getting to the gym and doing things you hate. As MzPen said, you have to find something you can at least tolerate and then just go and do it. It's got to be done, there's no way around it so just accept it unless you're willing to have someone push you around in a wheel chair later on in life.

And you'll never achieve a reasonable weight loss without exercise. That also builds muscles too (which deteriorate as you age). Unlike fat, muscles always want to be fed so if you have some normal muscle tone, you will find that you can support more calories in your diet without gaining weight.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh here, but in truth there is no easy answer other than to get moving in some way. Just like you can't lose weight if you live on fatty foods all the time, you won't be successful unless you bite the bullet and make yourself move.

Dig deep and find that motivation! Good luck.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:09 PM   #4  

Unhappy Exercises

Hello Zoe

Like everyone else I wasn't too fond of exercises either, but knew I had to do them to be successful in loosing weight and getting healthy, and will have to keep them up to stay healthy. It definitely has advantages. One it boosts your metabolizism, two you will feel better and have more energy. Helps in firming up as well. I'm sure there is many more as well.

It takes time to make it a habit and routine, so you will have to do them consistenly for 4-6wks to develope the habit.

Have you ever thought about Curves. It is fast and is not hard to do. It keeps your interest and only needed 3 days a week. Check it out. I had a free workout but didn't join for financial reasons at the time but may join later.

I have a total gym that I use and do tae bo as well. Anyway I know it's easier said than done. You just have to make the commitment and go for it. Even if it's just 15-20min to start with it beats nothing. remember one step at a time. start slow and work up, but do something to get started.

I've been exercises consistently since 3rd week in Jan.

Bye for now
Old 07-08-2002, 09:02 AM   #5  
Zoe
I see the SON in Texas

Height: 5'6"

Thank you all for your input and responses. I know that I just need to "just do it".... ....and I know that I'll probably have a 'habit' way before I ever have a "love" for it. I think walking but walking somewhere is a good idea. Pen, I sure wish there was a magical potion for this but alas, I agree, there is not. Definitely getting into a routine is one of the main keys to this. happy2bme, I love that "this falls into the life's not fair rule line. That is so, so true. betty crocker, yes I heard of curves and know what it's all about. Even though I belong to a regular gym (Bally's), they have that type of workout area there so I just may start with that.

Thank you all again......Once my daughter leaves tomorrow, I will get myself back on track and back to my "normal" life.

Zoe ~ Soaking up the "SON" in Texas
Old 07-08-2002, 12:08 PM   #6  

Good luck, Zoe -- and I'll say it one more time: Take heart! If you can just force yourself to do it for that 4-6 weeks, it DOES get easier. There DOES come a point where you start to enjoy it, at least a little bit! I was just struggling through a sculpting class at the gym this morning, and every time my muscles would start burning, I kept telling myself "keep it up! Every time you do this it will get easier and those muscles will get stronger!"

Pen
Closed Thread