Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #1  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Default Confused

I have been on my weight loss journey since March 2007 you can see by my ticker how far I have come and that I am not yet at a healthy weight. I have steadily lost about 1 to 2 pound per week since starting which I think is reasonable.

My friends and family have now all commented and made the remark " your not losing any more weight are you"

I am not muscular very far from it I have a chronic health condition of MS so would like to be near a healthy weight as possible to give that the best possible chance of not progressing too swiftly plus being mobile as long as possible.

It has come to the point now I am questioning my own judgement and am I now losing too much weight. I have asked my DH to be honest with me and he says that I haven't lost too much. I am now at the point of being confused and do not know whether I should start my maintenance programme. I personally would like to lose another 7 to 14 pounds depending on how I go. I am realistic that I may never achieve my proper goal weight due to my inability to exercise to exercise as much as I would like. ( I am willing but the body is not )

Thanks for listening to my dilemma. I thought I would get some advice from those treading the same path as me.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I would not necessarily be listening to other people about what your goal weight should be. Remember that these people saw you at a much weight, so it is a dramatic change to them.

At this point, don't tell them that you are losing any more, just say you are trying to eat healthy now and work on body composition. Or, you could tell them your doctor wants you to lose some more. That usually will shut people up LOL!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #3  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I think you're plateau isn't your bodies way of saying 'STOP!' just adjusting. Plateau's are necessary to lose weight because weight loss comes in spurts like some things only grow in specific seasons, your body needs time to maintain and rest and it will do that by itself.

So I'd say maintain for a while, and if YOU feel that you'd like to lose more weight then go for it! You can zig zag your calories to start the ball rolling, or just change your diet/workout routine. Good luck & I wish you well in whatever route you take

Last edited by Spoz; 07-14-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

According to BMI numbers, you're overweight but not obese. You'd have to be down around 160 to be in the normal range. But, because of your medical condition, you really ought to consult with your doctor and perhaps with a nutritionist about what your own ideal weight might be.

People tend to get nervous if they see someone losing what they think is "too much." I'm currently overweight, too, for my height, but some friends still say things like that. They are the ones who have seen me lose. The people who haven't known me except at my current weight seem to just accept me as normal!

So, don't be too worried about what those people are saying. Go by your doctor's advice. Also, it is possible that you may not be able to lose below a certain level, even if your doctor thinks that would be ideal. You have done SO WELL by losing as much as you have!!! Don't let others spoil that for you!

:cheer3

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Don't let peoples comments influence you. Most of them have an unrealistic idea of what a healthy weight is. I think you are doing great and losing at a healthy and normal rate. Your BMI is high but will go down as you lose. While exercise is desirable , you can lose without exercising. I broke my shoulder which brought my exercise to a halt and I still lost weight by dieting.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #6  
MSer living healthy

Thanks for the advice everyone just what I need to see the wood from the trees sometimes you just get bogged down and can not see which is the right path for you.

I know in my heart of hearts I am doing the right thing. I have a medical background as I was a qualified psychiatric nurse for 16 years which also covered the realms of eating disorders so know more than the average person about nutrition. I eat 6 times a day and have found that way to be good for me. Though I will pop along to the GP (general practitioner aka the doctor ) and see what he has to say on the matter. Last time he saw me which was a couple of months ago he was pleased with me and said how well I now looked.

Once again thanks for your time and well wishes on my progress has been much appreciated
Old 07-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I really don't know PURPLEORC but I do wish you the best!

Prayers ~ Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I agree, check with your doctor, and then make your own decision. I had lots of folk tell me that I had lost enough weight when I hit about 150. I was still overweight (BMI) and I knew that I wasn't where I wanted to be. There was no medical reason for me to stop losing, and I am glad I didn't listen to the "popular" opinion. Go with your GP and your gut. I'm rooting for you!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:04 AM   #9  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

hee hee Purple. considering all the health appointments and doctors you end up going to and your own medical knowledge and background I think I'll clear you to keep on keepin on

(I def wouldnt want to make yet another trip to a clinic or something.. waste most of a day for somebody to tell you something ya already know -- what a healthy weight is for you with MS -- I'm thinking it's what makes you feel best.. I'm sure your goal is reasonable and cant fault you for wanting max mobility).

Somebody said to me yesterday 'you MUST be near your goal weight' (still 'obese' over here) and I think what people have said is right... people that have seen us at our HW have some issues with us being 'too small'.

valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #10  
MSer living healthy

Once again a big thankyou for all who have posted and put my mind at rest about my issue with losing weight. It is nice to know I am not going over the top