South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #1  

Default Using Phase 1 & then another program?

Hi, folks! I'm hoping to tap into some of the SB wisdom on this board.

After two years of maintaining a hard-won 50 weight loss the traditional way (1500 calories a day, exercising 5-6 days per week), I regained nearly all my weight. I know that I need to work on the issues that are preventing me from maintaining, and believe it or not, I think I have some of them worked out.

Although I have not had the heart to start taking care of my weight problem for a whole year (the disappointment of regaining that weight was really hard), I'm finally in the mindset to start dealing with it. My problem now is that I'm impatient and need some motivation. I can't stand to look in the mirror and see my fat arms and stomach. I can't stand all my nice-looking clothes do not fit me. I'd like to lose 10 lbs. fairly quickly. The South Beach diet looks interesting to me because I like many of the foods allowed on it, and to be quite honest, I like the fact that it's so easy to lose 10 lbs. or so in the first two weeks. However, I don't think I could maintain with SB (I'm looking ahead before I start because I don't want to find myself in this same predicament two years from now). So, here's my question: Is is "do-able" to use SB Phase 1 to shed some pounds and then switch to a traditional calorie counting program (with the emphasis still on whole grains, fruits, etc.)? Have any of you tried this, or do you know anyone who has?

Any help is appreciated!
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

It is do-able...anything is....but realize that the emphasis of Phase 1 is not on really fast weight loss, it is to "cleanse" your body and rid the body of cravings. It is meant to work best when followed by a phase 2. Phase 1 weight loss is for the most part water weight, not fat loss...and if not followed by something similar in nature...will just result in regaining of the weight that you did lose.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #3  

Thank you, zeffryn. As much as I wish the answer was different, what you wrote makes sense. < sigh >
Old 07-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Yes Lyn, you may or may not lose the weight you want to during Ph1, if you are mostly eating healthy already your loss may be less. I have never lost more than 5 lbs during Ph.
However, maybe South Beach is just the plan you need to lose and maintain long term. The goal of the plan is to change your habits for life, and that's what you really need to do to maintain, as I understand it.
Also, there is no reason you can't count calories while doing South Beach. Although it's not required, some of us do it. I'm not counting calories now, but I have in the past when my loss stalled or I wanted to do a sanity check of how much I was eating. Others that post in this forum do SB combined with WW. In fact what you wrote
Quote:
traditional calorie counting program (with the emphasis still on whole grains, fruits, etc.)
could be a description of South Beach combined with calorie counting.
Why do you think you could not maintain with SB?

Last edited by Schmoodle; 07-13-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #5  
beachin'

Lynn, I think you will do great with a calorie counting program....healthy foods are truly the best way to lose weight and if you are already eating quite healthy, a calorie counting program should adapt into your life quite nicely.

I know there are quite a few girls on the board that have merged plans....sbd and calorie counting, for instance and have great success. It doesn't work for me, I need a more strict regimen...but give it a try!

You sound like you have the principals of weight loss down, so all that needs to happen now is to get back up and try again. We all fail sometimes

Good luck! and Happy Small Thighs!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #6  

Thanks, Schmoodle and zeffryn! I would do just fine if I just ate my healthy stuff; my biggest challenge is my sweet tooth. My husband always says, "You love all the 'good' stuff (fruits, veggies, etc.), but you like all the 'bad' stuff, too (ice-cream, cheesecake, etc.)." I guess if I didn't like the "bad" stuff, I wouldn't be posting here--LOL!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:46 PM   #7  
beachin'

girl....we all love the bad stuff

Check out the desserts listed in the recipes section (at the top of the page). There are tons of really great dessert ideas that won't totally sabotage your plans.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Oh, that is totally my issue, I'm a complete sweets addict (recovering). That's why SB works for me, because it addresses the sweet tooth. Once you get through Ph1 your cravings will be so much less.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:32 AM   #9  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Lyn, I was also a sugar fiend. I used to bake every afternoon...brownies, cakes, cookies, bread pudding, creme brulee, etc. Phase 1 got rid of the cravings for that stuff. I could care less about that all that junk now. If I had the choice between a brownie and a good salad, the salad would win.

My suggestion would be to get the book and read it and see why this way of eating is so great. If you do phase 1 and then go to some other way of eating, then you just may blow it....I know I would. If you finish phase 1 and then allow yourself to eat sugar because it's within your calorie limit, then you just may get those sugar cravings back again.

To me, SB is NOT a diet...it's just a very healthy way of eating and it is now "just what I am". Hard to put into words, but after watching my Dad die of diseases caused by sugar and unhealthy eating, I really think in the long run it may also prolong my life.

Last edited by femmecreole; 07-14-2008 at 06:33 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #10  

Height: 5' 7"

Lyn you might want to get the Southbeach book, it is misunderstood alot- I thought it was not a healthy diet until I read the book and finally understood- this is a very healthy way of eating for life- it is very easy to maintain weight loss following this. I was also a sugar addict and I do not crave sugar on this plan.
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

The satiety (fullness) that I have experienced on this diet is amazing. When I was counting calories or points I was always thinking about the next meal. I am completely satisfied on South Beach and have to make myself eat regularly, and am not obsessed with food anymore. I've never experienced that with any other way of eating. Hopefully, if you do Phase I, you'll know what I mean.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #12  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

You've gotten sage advice here. The ladies are all right. Most of us are sugar fiends and found craving it was a detriment to our lives. Being on SBD allows you to resist the sugar and other "white" items without feeling deprived or unsatisfied. It's a great way to live a life healthfully, comfortably, and satisfied.
Good luck on your journey!
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote