Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Default I HATE my PERIOD!!

I am STARVING.... I have eaten alot more than I normally do on my diet.. (about 300 calories) and I am still famished.. stomach grumbling and everything.

Does any else get like this.. I have been trying to ignore the hunger pains and drinking protein water but nothing seems to be helping.

It is not close to bed time for me either.. I end up going to bed at 4 or 5 in the morning (my hubby sometimes calls me at 2 or 3 am or is online so I stay up.. he is currently in Iraq so I dont wanna miss talking to him)

I am currently downing my 2nd bottle of water in an hour..

If I had anymore salad mix I would eat it but I ate the last for lunch and a desperately need to go grocery shopping so all I really have that I can eat is a turkey and cheese sandwich or a south beach diet frozen dinner

URGH.....
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:09 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I do this too. About 3 days before it starts, I even wake up hungry.
I usually gain about 3-4 lbs that week and spend the next 3 weeks trying to get it back off.
It sucks and I don't really have any advice.
I chew gum alot
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #3  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I convinced myself a few years ago that the reason I over eat is that my body is using up a ton of calories dealing with all the changes going on inside, so it works out!

That's the only way I could get through it without feeling GUILTY about it. Then once it was over I'd work harder to lose it all. I'd rather indulge healthily with a happy heart and work it off later - than be an emotional wreck who's feeling food deprived and overall uncomfortable.

I hope you feel better soon though!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

I used to be that way. However menopause comes early in the females in my family (I'll be 40 in December) and it is excruciatingly painful when the pre-meno starts. In addition to bloating there is extreme swelling in the lower and sometimes upper extremeties, massive cramps, heavy bleeding, headache, nausea, aches and pains and sometimes fever.

Now I actually have trouble eating due to nausea during my period, which also messes up my body because it goes into 'starvation' mode and starts storing any and all fat again.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #5  

I desided on gum and water and I weighed myself to kida put it in my head that I cant afford anymore calories... I usually weigh myself in the morning but the scale said 179.... *DIES*..... that BETTER be because I looove to retain water on my period....
Old 07-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #6  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, I think if you're genuinely hungry you need to eat something. That true hunger is a God-given signal that your body needs fuel! Although there's not much you can do about it tonight, head to the store tomorrow and stock up on some filling veggies. Do your best to be prepared for a little extra hunger, and respond accordingly when it comes around. And for goodness sake, don't weigh yourself at night... especially during your period!!! Personally, I never weigh myself when I'm on my period or for about 3 days afterward. Your body will naturally retain water to aid in the process and I can almost guarantee that's what you're seeing.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Jonsgurl, the scale was up because you drank all that water... 16 oz. of water = 1 pound, yes?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #8  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I have this same problem. It's awful and I totally sympathize. Generally I mentally prepare myself to be hungrier than usual and just stick as closely to my plan as I can manage. I limit carbs in the evening to minimize the damage on the scale, and if my stomach's growling I eat. Generally during the worst day of my period is when I allow myself a treat of some kind, either a higher carb meal that I love or some indulgent chocolate or whatever. It helps, and one off-plan meal or treat isn't going to derail my progress.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:51 AM   #9  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Sometimes -- a few days before Aunt Flo comes to town, I can get like a bottomless pit. But I actually have my period right now and I just feel bloated and gross. Blaghhhh!
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #10  

A 16-oz. of bottle does not weigh 1 pound. You can't interchange dry and liquid measures.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Susan, I'm not mixing the measures. 16 ounces liquid measure weighs 16 ounces on the scale. It's dry measure that is different.

I did the following to verify this:

Took my food scale, weighed a 1-cup measuring cup. It weighs 9 oz.

Filled the measuring cup to the 8-oz. line (1 cup). Put it on the food scale.

The measuring cup with water weighs 17-1/2 ounces.

9 + 8 = 17

The extra 1/2 ounce is probably scale error or inexact measuring.

You can do this experiment yourself if you like. Take a 1-quart (32 ounce) container of liquid (most are 1 liter these days, which is more than a quart, but close enough). Put it on your food scale. It should read over 2 pounds. The extra weight is due to the bottle and possibly filling errors.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsgurl0531 View Post
I am STARVING.... I have eaten alot more than I normally do on my diet.. (about 300 calories) and I am still famished.. stomach grumbling and everything.
jonsgurl -- I think so many of us sympathize with what TOM does.

I had a question -- are you saying you ate an extra 300 calories? Or that you normally only eat 300 calories?

If it's the former, that's not that bad in the scheme of things!

If it's the latter -- then maybe you really aren't eating enough!!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Here's is a nice explanation of ounces (weight) and fluid ounces, and how much a gallon of water weighs. Just gotta love words like avoirdupois

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/60749.html

A gallon of water weight 8.34 pounds, and I definitely drink that much. If something like TOM or exercise or whatever made me retain even half of that ... well there you go.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 07-13-2008 at 02:09 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the link. Nice explanation about the density of the liquid!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #15  

I eat about 1200 calories a day not 300
Wow I feel so much better knowing how much water weighs! I drink ALOT of water.

I normally do not weigh myself when I am on my period but I did it so I would stop thinking about eating. Probably not the best plan because I felt like crap afterward.

I know I had alot more salt than I normally do as well. I really crave salty food so I added alittle here and there to my food.. so I wouldnt want to run out and eat french fries.

I know I will go back to normal when I am through this I just get so emotional on my period and I was so proud to have lost 7 pounds this month and to see it just pop back on the scale.. just wasnt very pretty to me.

You guys are great btw! Its always nice to have somewhere to rant I feel so much better now