View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
BlueToBlue
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I have a red line weight and, so far at least, I haven't ignored it. When I hit the red line, I drop my calories back down until I'm below it again. My red line is the top of my acceptable weight range. I'd like my weight be between 114 to 118 lbs. I'm comfortable with how I look when my weight is in that range and I'm also comfortable with my lifestyle and what I can eat to stay in the that range. I'd love to weigh less than 114, but not enough to make the lifestyle changes that would be necessary to maintain it. At the same time, I don't like how I look when my weight is above 118. I don't like it enough that I am willing to make the lifestyle changes necessary to keep my weight below 118. So that's how I came up with my red line.

I also never allow myself to stop weighing myself, unless I'm on vacation or a business trip and a scale isn't available to me. If I've eaten off plan, I still need to get on the scale and accept the number I see, no matter how bad it is. I feel like not weighing myself is one of the first steps to gaining the weight back. Also, seeing the number on the scale is a good way of reminding myself that I control it--when I eat off plan, my weight goes up, when I eat on plan, my weight goes down. It's all up to me.

There are definitely days where I wish I didn't have to count calories and could just eat whatever I want. I also know that it's not the act of counting and logging my food that is the problem; it's that doing this forces me to acknowledge the amount of calories I am consuming. I know that if I stopped counting calories, it would be a way of lying to myself about how many calories I was actually eating. And, if I eat whatever I want, I'm going to gain back the weight that I lost pretty quickly. So I continue to weigh, measure, count, and log everything I eat. Because, in the end, I really really like how I look, how I feel, and what I can do now. I like it more than I want to eat whatever I want.

It's like going to work every day. There are lots of days where I don't want to do that either, but I keep doing it because I'm not independently wealthy and I want to have money more than I want to not work. There are other jobs I could have that would pay more, but I would be too unhappy doing them to pursue those careers. And there are jobs that I might enjoy more but that would pay a lot less, so much less that I would have to sacrifice too many of the other things about my life that I enjoy.

It's all about choices--you choose the weight that you can feel good about but that also allows you to have a lifestyle you are happy with.

My Before and After Pics

"Decide what you want; decide what you're willing to exchange for it; establish your priorities, and go to work." --H.L. Hunt

"Life has hills. Set the treadmill at an incline."

Last edited by BlueToBlue : 07-12-2008 at 11:05 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote